Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Censor Books?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM
  • 25 Replies

Just curious. It's not taboo for an adult to read YA books but is it okay for a teen to read an adult book? Also what do you consider an adult book?

My dd has friends who have read or are reading some of the same series as me.

Some of the series have  really intense sex scenes.  I'm curious if their parents know what they are reading. Or if it even matters.

Despite my helicopter struggle I am not big on censorship. I do review any new anime series prior to Sasha starting it. And obviously I would never let her read smut like 50 Shades (When she's older I'll point her towards a better written series).   Her tastes are much different than mine. She prefers murder mystery and classics and I'm into romance.

She read The Count of Monte Cristo and I read Real Vampires Have Hips. When she was reading The Phantom of The Opera I was reading Shopaholic Gets Married. LOL 

- Do you censor books

- Does your child's literary tastes differ greatly from yours

- Do you think 13 year olds should be reading books with sex scenes

- Does it even matter?  When you have Will Ferrell movies and shows like Family Guy the least of your worries is a two paragraph blow job??

by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balagan_imma
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Knowing what I know now about Game of Thrones, no I wouldn't have let my then 12 year old read it. Now that she's 15, it would be a different story. She's more mature and more likely to come to me to discuss something that scared or bothered her.

We are not big on censorship here. It is interesting to watch our teens guide their 10 yr old brother though. They are extremely vocal about what they believe is right for him, with both books and television.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM

In Middle school I would.  HS probably just suggest no 50 shades of gray type book till 18.  
Both my girls took Modern Lit and parents had to sign permission slips to be in that class because some books had rape and other adult themes in them.  Mine took that class their senior year but juniors can take the class also.   

Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I have noticed that my oldest trys to censor her younger sister. I love GOT. Dh and I are watching the series together and I have read the first two books. DD 13 is not allowed to watch or read any of it. But she has no interest so it's not a a big deal.

Quoting balagan_imma:

Knowing what I know now about Game of Thrones, no I wouldn't have let my then 12 year old read it. Now that she's 15, it would be a different story. She's more mature and more likely to come to me to discuss something that scared or bothered her.

We are not big on censorship here. It is interesting to watch our teens guide their 10 yr old brother though. They are extremely vocal about what they believe is right for him, with both books and television.

Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Last year dd's 6th grade teacher suggested To Kill A Mockingbird to her. She said he let her and her friend both get copies from the library but not the friend. He told the friend he didn't know their parents well enough to determine if they would be okay with him reading it.

I was fine with it but her swim coach had a cow over it saying the teacher should be in trouble for his suggestion.

She has read/watched a few shows, magazine articles, and animes where rape is addressed.

Quoting atlmom2:

In Middle school I would.  HS probably just suggest no 50 shades of gray type book till 18.  Both my girls took Modern Lit and parents had to sign permission slips to be in that class because some books had rape and other adult themes in them.  Mine took that class their senior year but juniors can take the class also.   

balagan_imma
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Mine loved the books. They haven't watched the series that I know. They are 15 and 17 now and read some interesting things. Both are into Dune right now, in the spare 15 minutes a week that they have. They are looking forward to rereading Game of Thrones sometime over the summer. It does lead to some interesting discussions. And we've always done that with books from Harry Potter to Eragon to Lord of the Rings. And everything in between.

Quoting Sydel:

I have noticed that my oldest trys to censor her younger sister. I love GOT. Dh and I are watching the series together and I have read the first two books. DD 13 is not allowed to watch or read any of it. But she has no interest so it's not a a big deal.

Quoting balagan_imma:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 7, 2015 at 10:41 AM

MIne read that their sophomore year.  Also The Catcher and the Rye their freshman year.  My dd also read The Diary of Anne Frank in 5th grade.  I think they were all ok.  

Quoting Sydel:

Last year dd's 6th grade teacher suggested To Kill A Mockingbird to her. She said he let her and her friend both get copies from the library but not the friend. He told the friend he didn't know their parents well enough to determine if they would be okay with him reading it.

I was fine with it but her swim coach had a cow over it saying the teacher should be in trouble for his suggestion.

She has read/watched a few shows, magazine articles, and animes where rape is addressed.

Quoting atlmom2:

In Middle school I would.  HS probably just suggest no 50 shades of gray type book till 18.  Both my girls took Modern Lit and parents had to sign permission slips to be in that class because some books had rape and other adult themes in them.  Mine took that class their senior year but juniors can take the class also.   

Msgme
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM

i don't censor they can pretty much read what they want.  i remember when my dd was in elementary school and she was reading hunger games several parents were like oh god no way to young. ididnt have an issue with her reading it.  i was a bit shocked to find out my 16 year old read 50 shades. i found out after the fact. She didnt lie or anything i just never asked.  i sorta realized it when we would have discussions and she had way to much info from just reading fb.   yet i had no problem with her reading lolita. i even bought it for her. lol 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM
We haven't censored here either. I would not allow 50 Shades for the younger two and DS1, who is 17 wouldn't be caught dead reading it. lol

None of my kids have shown an interest in anything I read but I enjoy reading a lot of their books. I really enjoyed Eragon, and the Harry Potter series and DDs American Girl books.

I have tried suggesting James Patterson and other crime books to my oldest who refuses. Lol
Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Both my parents were really into Dean Koontz, Sidney Sheldon, and Steven King. I refuse to read any books by those authors. Even at 30 it's a rebellion. My mom likes Danielle Steele and Jackie Collins. I've caught myself reading the covers of some of those books. But still I walk away. LOL

My FIL reads a lot of fantasy. Lord of the Rings and Eragon. He has gotten dd interested in the series. But she hasn't read the books. Just watched the movies. She also plays World of Warcraft with him and SIL.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: We haven't censored here either. I would not allow 50 Shades for the younger two and DS1, who is 17 wouldn't be caught dead reading it. lol None of my kids have shown an interest in anything I read but I enjoy reading a lot of their books. I really enjoyed Eragon, and the Harry Potter series and DDs American Girl books. I have tried suggesting James Patterson and other crime books to my oldest who refuses. Lol

cybcm
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Not a chance.

I subscribe to Judy Blume's way of thinking- when reading people self-censor, if it's something you can't grasp then you glaze over it, a luxury not afforded when you watch television or movies and the visual is there for you. If you can understand it and process it, then you are fine to know about it, and what safer haven to explore new topics then in a book?

We're all pretty much all over the place with literary interests.

I have zero issue with 13yr old's reading sex scenes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)