Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who Pays For Your Teen's Cell?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm curious I know a lot of parents who have their kids on prepay plans and the teen is in charge of paying for it. I know others that just pay for it as part of their family plan. And in my case another family member pays.

by on May. 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM
My parents.
Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My uncle pays for my dd. He said as long as she maintains good grades and stays active he will make sure she always has a phone.... I'm more than a little jealous. She has a nicer phone and data plan than me. AND her litlte sister who is 7 keeps saying she can't wait for my uncle to buy her one.

There's a good chance he won't. And when she's 13 she's gonna be looking at me crazy. Like where is my phone. lol

Quoting diaperstodating: My parents.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:03 PM
I hate the kids having cell phones. They are on our family plan.

It started when DS1 went back east for 21 days and was 12 1/2 yo. It was my intent to get a prepaid phone for the trip and then have it for all the kids when he got back. DH decided to go ahead and add him to our plan behind my back. Since DH let him keep it, I told him he set the precedent for all to get their phones at 12. It was a standard flip with talk a d text.

When DS1 turned 14 and it was to. E to renew his contract, DH upgraded him to a smartphone. Now that precedent is set as well.
Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM

My dh doesn't even have a smart phone LOL

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I hate the kids having cell phones. They are on our family plan. It started when DS1 went back east for 21 days and was 12 1/2 yo. It was my intent to get a prepaid phone for the trip and then have it for all the kids when he got back. DH decided to go ahead and add him to our plan behind my back. Since DH let him keep it, I told him he set the precedent for all to get their phones at 12. It was a standard flip with talk a d text. When DS1 turned 14 and it was to. E to renew his contract, DH upgraded him to a smartphone. Now that precedent is set as well.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM
DD just turned 12 about 10 days ago and got her flip phone.

The other 4 of us all have smart phones on the family plan. I must admit, I like the boys having their google calendars on their phones so we can sync everyone and make scheduling easier.

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I hate the kids having cell phones. They are on our family plan.

It started when DS1 went back east for 21 days and was 12 1/2 yo. It was my intent to get a prepaid phone for the trip and then have it for all the kids when he got back. DH decided to go ahead and add him to our plan behind my back. Since DH let him keep it, I told him he set the precedent for all to get their phones at 12. It was a standard flip with talk a d text.

When DS1 turned 14 and it was to. E to renew his contract, DH upgraded him to a smartphone. Now that precedent is set as well.

Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Hmmmm that does sound 100X easier than my dry erase calender

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: DD just turned 12 about 10 days ago and got her flip phone. The other 4 of us all have smart phones on the family plan. I must admit, I like the boys having their google calendars on their phones so we can sync everyone and make scheduling easier.
Quoting Sydel:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I hate the kids having cell phones. They are on our family plan. It started when DS1 went back east for 21 days and was 12 1/2 yo. It was my intent to get a prepaid phone for the trip and then have it for all the kids when he got back. DH decided to go ahead and add him to our plan behind my back. Since DH let him keep it, I told him he set the precedent for all to get their phones at 12. It was a standard flip with talk a d text. When DS1 turned 14 and it was to. E to renew his contract, DH upgraded him to a smartphone. Now that precedent is set as well.

wittner9803
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM
Family plan
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM
My boys and I are spoiled. We are on a family plan. My parents pay for me and my two teenagers on the family plan. We all have a smartphone. We can't add any more phone numbers, so when my third son gets a phone I will be paying for it.

Quoting Sydel:

My uncle pays for my dd. He said as long as she maintains good grades and stays active he will make sure she always has a phone.... I'm more than a little jealous. She has a nicer phone and data plan than me. AND her litlte sister who is 7 keeps saying she can't wait for my uncle to buy her one.

There's a good chance he won't. And when she's 13 she's gonna be looking at me crazy. Like where is my phone. lol

Quoting diaperstodating: My parents.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM
I do, we have a family plan. My MIL is on it too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ame4c
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM
My kids are each different. I pay for the phone but if they want a smart one then they pay the difference in the bill. So 2 teens have smart phones and one doesn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)