Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girls & their cramps - missing school it's so bad?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM
  • 34 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you or your teen dd used birth control pills to control cramps and flow successfully?

Options:

Yes, they actually work well

Tried those, but didn't help me/her

Did not try it, not sure I would do that

Other? please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

Dd is 17, she's not super active, is overweight (by 30 pounds) and has the most horrendous cramps (according to her) every month at that time.

She ends up in tears somedays because of them and misses school. This is not ok in my book whatsoever but when she's acting like she's actually dying, won't move because it hurts and sleeps for hours after taking pain meds for it.... what do I do?

She thinks going on birth control will lessen the cramps. It's 3 days of terrible cramps with her, but only 2 days of a heavy flow.

We have a male family doctor. He's amazing, but she's not comfortable talking to him about this stuff at all, understandable. But it's not easy to get her into another doctor's office just to get a female (which I doubt would make her any more comfortable speaking about this stuff anyway).

Have any of you used a birth control pill to control cramps for your teen daughters? What kind? I'm on the fence about this, would prefer not to mess with her hormones if I can help it.

We are working on changing her diet & exercise activity but it's an uphill battle that I keep losing every step of the way with her. She's super lazy and wants to eat easy starchy foods. Ugh...

Any thoughts or suggestions before I call the doctor and see what they think? If I call armed with some ideas that might help!

by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 7, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Both of my girls did but they were over 18 when they started using them.  They would have benefitted earlier but I didn't feel they needed to start hormones earlier.  

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM
I don't think she should use birth control pills to lessen cramps. If she is in pain then let her miss school.
cybcm
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Yes my oldest did, but they didn't do an awful lot, turns out she has stage 4 endometriosis.

Definitely speak to a doctor, they will have a better idea on your daughter's health then a bunch of people on a forum, you don't need to go to the doctor armed with ideas, that's their job to come up with them.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM
I voted other.
Ceremony
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Yes, my dd is using them to control and regulate the flow to not skip a month.  I want her to try stopping but wonder what is the safe thing to do.  She is overweight, 2nd year of college.

Ceremony
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
Oh. I do have 2 dd and let them stay home on a bad day. If they are good students, no reason to say no for that.
Carmel63
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Yes, it worked very well.

Maime13
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe her. When I was in high school I would get horrendous diarrhea and cramps. Sometimes I would be white as a ghost from the pain and I couldn't stand up. It was awful. I was diagnosed with endometriosis.

I didn't go on the pill till I was 18 but it did help lessen my cramps.

squeekers
by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:10 PM
I had life stopping cramps until i was on BC at 15. DD had life stopping cramps until she went on BC at 16 1/2. They helped us.
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I went on the pill when I was 15 because of cramps.  They were horrible, I also missed school.  I also bled like a stuck pig.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)