Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Parents 'Club' Outraged That School Deleted Its Yearbook Page

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM
  • 13 Replies

Teen Parents 'Club' Outraged That School Deleted Its Yearbook Page

There's only so much room in a high school yearbook and, after celebrating the school's graduates, cheerleaders, football team, and drama club, one "group" at Santa Fe High School is insulted they didn't get their own page: teen parents.

Apparently, the New Mexico high school always leaves enough space in the yearbook to celebrate its teen parents, who have to juggle the challenges of classwork and homework along with parental duties like keeping doctor's appointments, staying up all night with a sick child, making bottles and meals, playing with them — I mean, it's an exhausting list of responsibilities and I commend them for handling it all.

For some reason though, the school decided to exclude its teen parents from having their own exclusive page in the book this year. And teen parents feel shunned and upset by this move.

The school released a statement, explaining why it made this choice:

In previous years, teen parents were distinctly grouped together within a separate program on the school site. This year, there has been an effort to include the students in regular high school programming.  All of the students are included as individuals within the yearbook. If the students want to represent themselves as a group similar to other student activities, they can inform the yearbook committee of their wishes to be included.  We fully support and encourage our teen parents to remain in and be an active part of their schools.

This sounds like the most open-minded school on the planet and it seems all will be resolved if the teen parents simply get together and request a page so they can identify as a "group."

But does anyone else think this is bizarre?

Giving birth at 16 doesn't make you a member of a club. As a mom, I'd be disturbed seeing this in my child's yearbook because it celebrates being a teen parent. I'm not saying a teen mom or dad should be humiliated and shamed. They should be commended for valuing life and choosing the most challenging path possible — and for managing to be great parents and graduate school at the same time.

I just don't agree that teen parenting should be viewed in the same way as an extracurricular activity. And, if I were in the shoes of these teens, I'd be more in line with the school's belief: I'd want to be seen as an individual, and not as a "teen mom," which makes up one part of who I am.

Do you think teen parents should get their own page in a yearbook? 

Image via Karen Horton/Flickr 

by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:50 AM

No

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM

I do not think teen parents need or deserve a yearbook page.  How ridiculous.  The yearbook is about school, not pregnancy.  

If a senior parent wants to buy something in the back like many senior parents do and celebrate their child and grandchild that is different.  Ours lets you put a pic, usually baby or toddler pic, and then have a few sentences to write something about them.  

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:41 PM
This is not a club you want your daughter or son's GF to be in (even though my youngest was during her final semister of high school).

My guess is that somebody wisely decided that this did not meet the standards of a club the school wants to showcase or promote. Maybe a few parents suggested that this be stopped.

Also yearbook pages are expensive and if they were bumping up on the page max that can be bound in a book, a decision may have had to be made about what pages to omit period.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM
No
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

They are part of the community and if these teens, despite the added difficulties of being parents, manage to finish school and be part of the school community through activities and have had their own page in the past then it should continue.  These kids aren't following the intended (or accepted) road to graduation but this is the year 2015 and they shouldn't be demeaned, demonized, marginalized or forgotten.   The fact that they formed a club as a support group should be no different than the LGBT club. 

cybcm
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:18 PM
Is the school doing something to address the fact that they have enough teenage parents to make a club with a yearbook page?

I don't know if it's just me in my little Australian bubble again... but surely that's not typical of your average high school? I know my kids go to a small high school, but there hasn't been one single teen parent attend the school (or drop out due to pregnancy) since the school opened in the 80s.
CometGirl
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 8:01 AM

no

Sydel
by Group Admin on May. 18, 2015 at 8:51 AM

As a teen mom I'm going to say NO!!!

I was part of a group that met twice a month and helped prep me and help me for becoming a parent. But they couldn't pay me to smile for a group photo.

It would be like glorifying poor behavior and saying hey it's okay if you have unprotected sex and get knocked up we have a club you can join and it will be totally awesome!!! Again No just no

brittsboys
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Hell No!!
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:07 PM

G' Day mate in Australia!

If you go to the "Guttmacher.org" website, which is considered to be the gold standard by Planned Parenthood here in the states, there is a page titled. "American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health" that gives statistics on teen sex, pregnancy, births, abortions, etcetera.

High schools in our area typically have two, three, or four thousand students spread over four years, with the average age of graduation probably being 18½ because September 2 is the cut off age for starting kindergarten.  If the child's birthday is September 3, the child can't start school until the following year. In some states that cut date is like December 1, so their average graduation age might be closer to 18.

If you sift through the statistics there were about 110,000 births to high school girls in 2011, with the majority being during the last two years of high school as sexual activity increases during those latter years. There are about 4,000,000 girls 16 or 17 at any given time in America. So the odds are around 1 in 40 girls 16 and 17 will give birth during the year. (Its higher in some states, lower in others, higher in schools with certain higher risk populations, Asians are least likely, while others are at higher risk, etcetera.)

If a high school has 3,000 students, 750 are girls in the final two years of high school, divide 750 by 40 and that would be approximately 19 pregnant high school girls per year that carry the baby to delivery. Statistically another 6 girls had abortions.   In a smaller high school with say 800 students, 200 are girls in the final two years of high school, divide that 200 by 40 and that would be approximately 5 pregnant high school girls per year that carry the baby to delivery.  Statistically another 1.66 girls had abortions.

Back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, pregnant girls were not allowed to attend classes.  They dropped out of high school, studied at home and returned to school after the birth with mom or an aunt watching the baby.  Since then most high schools allow them to attend regular classes. Some schools provide day care paid for by the state as the state has recognized that few things are more expensive for the state than a teen mother growing up without education and unable to find a job.

Our local HS did NOT have a club, but rather provided after school "parenting classes" for the pregnant girls, the baby's father, or anybody else who cared to attend. 

About a week after our daughter knew she was pregnant, she, along with her sister and both soon to be SILs dropped in.  Surprisingly none of other in the class told anybody about our daughter being there.  The news traveled through others. Some wondered if both daughters were pregnant.    

On the comical side, the mother of one of the other cheerleaders said some things privately to others that I thought were out of bounds.  The following fall while her daughter and the daughter's long time BF were attending classes at the two big state universities in our state, which are about 90 miles apart, the daughter came up in a family way.  The mother called me wanting to talk with someone with BTDT experience and a little voice deep down in me said, "Kimmy, she needs your comfort as a friend, not any harsh words from you."  We actually became friends in the fox hole together. LOL

One of my points to her and a point I would make to any readers is that you don't have to raise the grandbabies, but if you want to give the two idiots that made a baby the best chance, you need to help support them as they continue in college, which doesn't cost much more than it would if they remained single and childless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)