Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's opening up possibilities

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
For the last couple of years my dd has been dead set on going away fat away for college. She didn't even want to entertain the idea of staying nearby. I knew it was because she wants to spread her wings and have some independence so I didn't try and change her mind. But after going away for the weekend she's not so sure being so far away is the right choice. Especially with the campus being in the middle of no where. She still wants to move out and either dorm or get an apartment which is fine with me. She's just not sure giving up NYC is the right choice. She hasn't made any final decisions yet but nyu and Columbia are looking better to her. Which I'm secretly keeping fingers crossed. I'll support whatever decision she makes but NYC or even nj are good options.lol
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KenneMaw
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM

I think starting out closer to home and living on campus are great ideas!   It will help lessen the stress of the first months away but she can still be independent.  She can always transfer later on if she wants to move.l

Sydel
by Group Admin on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I can appreciate her interest in wanting to get away and try a different scene but NY has soo much to offer. And being able to have family close is incredibly beneficial.

Tell her to just keep her options open and apply to both. Go with what she can afford and what works for her.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM

My dd wouldn't look in our state and frankly we didn't want her to.  We don't like it here so why would she.  We have been here 10 years now.  She decided to look by our family, 1 to 2 hours from them.  So she is 2 hours from family and 7 hours from us.  

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM
NYC has a lot of opportunities here for both college and after. I want her to make whatever the best decision is for her. But if she does decide to stay within an hour or two I would not be upset. Not to mention cost wise is cheaper to stay in N.Y.

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd wouldn't look in our state and frankly we didn't want her to.  We don't like it here so why would she.  We have been here 10 years now.  She decided to look by our family, 1 to 2 hours from them.  So she is 2 hours from family and 7 hours from us.  

iwashere
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:55 PM

My DS goes to school 30 minutes away and lives there during the school year. It's wonderful because he's close enough that he can visit - or we can visit him - but far enough away to give him independence. I really thought it would be too close, but all of us love it.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not opposed to her going far I would just like it if she's closer. Whatever choice she makes will I'm sure be the best option for her. But taking the subway would be way easier than amtrak or plane to visit lol

Quoting iwashere:

My DS goes to school 30 minutes away and lives there during the school year. It's wonderful because he's close enough that he can visit - or we can visit him - but far enough away to give him independence. I really thought it would be too close, but all of us love it.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Well, I can see that you got your money's worth from that college trip.  LOL  Seriously, she found and figured out on her own something that you could never have convinced her of.  And that is the purpose of visiting those colleges before making a selection.

Are we talking about Columbia, ranked #4 among all national universities and NYU ranked #32 on that same list?  Congratulations to her and her parents!!!!!

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Quoting Kimmybabe:

Well, I can see that you got your money's worth from that college trip.  LOL  Seriously, she found and figured out on her own something that you could never have convinced her of.  And that is the purpose of visiting those colleges before making a selection.

Are we talking about Columbia, ranked #4 among all national universities and NYU ranked #32 on that same list?  Congratulations to her and her parents!!!!!

she really did enjoy her trip and she does love the school. She would probably still attend if she gets accepted. What she didnt love was that it was a 30 minute walk from campus to a small town and the town had nothing to do except a mcdonalds an walgreens. lol then another 30 minute walk back up the hill. lol 

As for the schools she's by no means accepted to either or any just yet. And to be honest columbia is a serious long shot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)