Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Have Times Changed

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:16 AM
  • 23 Replies

Apparently dd got pulled into an argument between two girls yesterday and she was really upset about it.

Girl 1 very rudely made fun of Girl 2 for not having a new dress for picture day. G2 got upset and stated that her family didn't have money for her to own a million new things like DD.

Dd was who was sitting on the other side of the room was like why am I getting pulled into this, 90% of what I wear comes from Goodwill and clearance racks.

To which both girls then ganged up on dd calling her a spoiled liar and claimed that we are "rich" and flaunt it.

(Dude I drive a Kia with 5 dents in it and dh drives an 01 Impala with rust on the bottom and we joke that our home is on the cusp of the ghetto. We are middle middle class if that makes sense)

So dd comes home, tells me about the argument and says and I quote "Why do you have to buy me nice things? It just makes me a target."

This reminded me of that Cosby episode where one of the girls asks Cliff why do we have to have money and his response was you don't have money I do...  Anyways

Back in my day the kid wearing Goodwill would have been picked on. I wished my family had money for nice things. Here this chick is rocking marked down and used name brands and acting like it's the worst thing I could ever do to her. LOL

She later apologized for her statement.

Parents have you ever had kids complain about the clothes you buy? I know we've had the name brand talk before but I am curious. It's like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM
No I haven't.
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Mine never did get made fun of but our HS is kinda labeled as the rich kids school.  The parking lot if full of nice cars.  Super nice cars.  The teachers are all jealous of the kids, lol.  Before that we lived elsewhere and no one got made fun of for whatever they wore that I know of.  

My Mom made most of my clothes growing up.  I hated it but of course many other Mom's did too.  I was so glad when I got in Jr High.  My Mom went back to work and she didn't sew anymore.  

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Not clothes at our house - it's the "rich kid" snacks/food I give my kids!

Apparently doing anything more than slapping margarine, a slice of bologna and cheese on bread makes me rich and I spoil my kids.

My son asked me to stop buying the good food and just send him with the same crap his friends/classmates had. I wouldn't do it. I buy healthy food because it's good for you, not because I'm trying to make you look bad!

We are by far not rich. We live paycheck to paycheck most weeks. We put our money into feeding our family as best we can and into fixing our old dilapidated house.

It's sad how the kids can get treated like that. And we rock thrift store clothes too and the kids get the same thing - you & your rich clothes! Um, my mom bought this with a 30% off coupon from the thrift store... it's not rich clothes!

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:25 AM
My in laws (mother in law, father in law, and two sister in laws) are materialistic and always want my boys to wear name brand clothes and shoes which they buy for them. Even their socks and underwear are brand name. I rarely buy my boys clothes, when I do it's from Ross, Kohls, Target and a second hand store which is a little further than Goodwill, but I like the store better.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM

I shope at Aldis then Kroger. When dd decided to pack at the beginning of the school year she used a lunch box from Family  Dollar and took a lot of rice, soups, veggies, and other random things.

She was asked if she was too good for the free lunch. Right now our school has a grant so EVERYONE gets free lunch. Doesn't matter the income so the comment didn't really make sense.

Quoting jewels.unicorn:

Apparently doing anything more than slapping margarine, a slice of bologna and cheese on bread makes me rich and I spoil my kids.

My son asked me to stop buying the good food and just send him with the same crap his friends/classmates had. I wouldn't do it. I buy healthy food because it's good for you, not because I'm trying to make you look bad!

We are by far not rich. We live paycheck to paycheck most weeks. We put our money into feeding our family as best we can and into fixing our old dilapidated house.

It's sad how the kids can get treated like that. And we rock thrift store clothes too and the kids get the same thing - you & your rich clothes! Um, my mom bought this with a 30% off coupon from the thrift store... it's not rich clothes!

Sydel
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM

I think name brand got their popularity because a lot of them really are a better quality. So if you can afford to buy a better quality product, it make sense. Especially for kids who are outside, roughouse, or have siblings where the clothes can be passed down to.

But then you have kids like my youngest who are growing so fast it's a waste of money. Today I pulled all her size 10 summer clothes. We can't save any of them them.

Quoting diaperstodating: My in laws (mother in law, father in law, and two sister in laws) are materialistic and always want my boys to wear name brand clothes and shoes which they buy for them. Even their socks and underwear are brand name. I rarely buy my boys clothes, when I do it's from Ross, Kohls, Target and a second hand store which is a little further than Goodwill, but I like the store better.

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Some kids are just off - just have to spew something out that makes them think they look better than everyone else whether it makes sense or not. It's so sad.

Quoting Sydel:

I shope at Aldis then Kroger. When dd decided to pack at the beginning of the school year she used a lunch box from Family  Dollar and took a lot of rice, soups, veggies, and other random things.

She was asked if she was too good for the free lunch. Right now our school has a grant so EVERYONE gets free lunch. Doesn't matter the income so the comment didn't really make sense.

Quoting jewels.unicorn:

Msgme
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Tori has the opposite problem.  She gets made fun of for not having the newest jordans or the newest clothes. which apparently is addidas clothing.   Someone recently told her she probably gets her clothes from the garbage and she's been called dumpster girl. 

Sydel
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Kids can be such douches. That's why I said you are damned if you do or don't. I haven't seen kids in our area rock addias in forever. When I was younger they were really popular. I even wore a pair to homecoming.

Underarmour seems to be overtaking Nike right now.

I will admit that I do buy in bulk. Sasha probably owns 8 winter coats. But when you can buy a Forever 21 peacoat in July for $5 and then three other coats Northface Fleece, Aeropostale Puffy  Coat, and Candi's longer trench coat for $8 and under, why would you not go crazy?! Okay maybe I need to not go crazy.

It's all Goodwill and Sasha has always told ppl that I'm a thrift shopper and she would rock clothes from the dumpster if my fat ass jumped in one to get them. LOL

Quoting Msgme:

Tori has the opposite problem.  She gets made fun of for not having the newest jordans or the newest clothes. which apparently is addidas clothing.   Someone recently told her she probably gets her clothes from the garbage and she's been called dumpster girl. 

Msgme
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:38 PM

it actually is much deeper than the clothes she's wearing.  they know it bothers her to make fun of that kinda thing so they use it.  its actually a really big problem for her right now.  and living in todays world with socail media its non stop.  i'm actually waiting for the dean to call me with an update on a current situation.  Tori takes it all in and ignores and ignores until she reaches her limit and then she lashes out and is capable of being very vicious.  im not sure if counseling is helping or making it worse

Quoting Sydel:

Kids can be such douches. That's why I said you are damned if you do or don't. I haven't seen kids in our area rock addias in forever. When I was younger they were really popular. I even wore a pair to homecoming.

Underarmour seems to be overtaking Nike right now.

I will admit that I do buy in bulk. Sasha probably owns 8 winter coats. But when you can buy a Forever 21 peacoat in July for $5 and then three other coats Northface Fleece, Aeropostale Puffy  Coat, and Candi's longer trench coat for $8 and under, why would you not go crazy?! Okay maybe I need to not go crazy.

It's all Goodwill and Sasha has always told ppl that I'm a thrift shopper and she would rock clothes from the dumpster if my fat ass jumped in one to get them. LOL

Quoting Msgme:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)