Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle a teen who cuts/self-harms?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:31 PM
  • 14 Replies

For those of you who have experienced this with their teen, or are trained to handle circumstances like this, what do you do when a teen has done this?

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:33 PM
Get them into therapy. No locked doors, lots of activities to keep them busy.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:35 PM
Haven't had experience with this but this is what I would say.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Get them into therapy. No locked doors, lots of activities to keep them busy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:41 PM
My oldest didn't cut, but had serious issues with depression and suicidal talk. The therapist said to find things to get him involved in and limit alone time.

For a while, we went 2-3 times a week. As things got better we went less and less, then once a week, then every other week, then stopped entirely. He has seen doing great for about three years.
pdxmum
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Takes it seriously and seek professional help.

dianek1oo1
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:19 PM

My daughter is a cutter.  I have her in therapy.  It has come to the point of having to put her in a residental home.  She has been there for 3 months.  She gets therapy 20 hours a week.  I am hoping ot have her home within the next 2 months.

iwashere
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:28 PM

This is truly excellent advice. Sometimes only a professional will do, and cutting is definitely one of those times. I

i don't know if this advice pertains to the OP personally or to a freind of the OP, but I wish good luck and health to them.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: My oldest didn't cut, but had serious issues with depression and suicidal talk. The therapist said to find things to get him involved in and limit alone time. For a while, we went 2-3 times a week. As things got better we went less and less, then once a week, then every other week, then stopped entirely. He has seen doing great for about three years.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 4:13 PM
this exactly.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Get them into therapy. No locked doors, lots of activities to keep them busy.
cybcm
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:31 PM
I would seek professional help.
PeaceChild
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Some people say teens cut/self harm due to peer pressure to do so, as a release of pent up stress. Others say it goes much deeper than that, resulting from abuse/trauma earlier in childhood.

KoiKamsahamnida
by Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 2:11 AM

Get them into counseling.... hug them. Love them. Show them I am there for them. Try to reduce the stressors in their life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)