Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Intro, And Upcoming Drill Team Year Vent

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello, all.  My name is Debbie and I am the mother to a wonderful 17 year old DD, as well as an amazing 19 year old DS who is active duty Air Force.

I have been on Cafemom for many years but have not been active in at least 4 years.

DD17 was a cheerleader her Freshman and Sophomore years but decided to audition for Drill Team her Junior year.  Unfortunately, she did not make Varsity and wound up on the Junior Varsity team.  She was heartbroken but has worked her little tushy off the past year and is getting ready to audition for her Senior year.

At the last Booster Club meeting I was asked (by the Coach and current President) to become Treasurer for next year and accepted the position. DD has said that she will indicate on her audition packet that she will only accept a position on the Varsity team (one of the options they permit for Seniors) and she has told the Varsity coach of her intentions.  This leads me to believe that the Varsity coach intends to put her on the Varsity team, knowing her skills.

I am happy for her, if she makes Varsity, but there are several of the other girls on the JV team with her who have made snarky comments to DD that the only reason that she would make Varsity is that her mom is going to be Treasurer.

Needless to say, the drama level at my house is at an all-time high and I will be glad when the Auditions take place so that she can get her score sheets to show that (if she makes it) it was due to her skills and not because of me.

I know that, in the grand scheme of things, this is not the most awful problem to have, but it is driving me crazy!!! On the bright side, Ausitions are 4/15 and then everything will calm down for a few months (at least until the season starts!)

If you made it this far, thanks for listening!

"I am not afraid of all hell breaking loose, I am just afraid of one little piece breaking loose because I think it would be harder to detect."  George Carlin

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Pukalani79
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Welcome to the group. Jealousy comes out in vicious ways sometimes, unfortunately. Just keep encouraging your DD, and hopefully the auditions will go well
Maime13
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Welcome! Glad you decided to jump back into the mix. :)

Good luck to your DD on her auditions. I think it's smart to choose the "Varsity Only" option. 

As for the other girls as trite as it is "haters gonna hate". If it wasn't you being Treasurer, they'd find some other way to undercut your DD's accomplishments out of jealousy.

iwashere
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Welcome to the group. Oh jealous girls and high school - they seem to go hand in hand, don't they? I wouldn't worry about it. If they didn't have the excuse of you being treasurer, they'd find soem other reason to be jealous that your dd is moving up in the ranks.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM

I thought I responded to this hours ago. It must not have saved. Anyways. Your dd doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Those haters can kick rocks.

Those who matter don't care and those who care don't matter. 

I can empathize with your situation. I'm very invovled with PTO and help with band and orchestra. My dd has received some snide remarks about it.  Next year I'm going to be an officer for Orchestra, Band is courting me to be the Hospitality Officer, and who knows what else I will get myself into. Dd2 is switching to a school where volunteering is mandatory so... That is going to be interesting.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Welcome.   I'm a debbie too and i have a 19 year old ds and a 17 year old dd.  a 13 year old dd too.  thought it was cool.   Good luck to your dd at her auditions.  jealousy is always around But whats important is she knows it will be via her own merit.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)