• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The stress is starting to get to her

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM
  • 15 Replies

Now that we are passed the Senioritis thing and her grades are back where they belong  We've even kicked the lateness thing in the butt. She is however freaking out.  Two of the 5 schools she applied to announce on friday and then she has another on the 1st of april.  One is mailed out this week sometime and the last we are not sure. She didnt get the financial aid paperwork in on time for one school so that might be out of the running.  Her friends are starting to get  notified.  two got into emerson  and one was waitlisted. one got into Bard.  She is still waiting.And a bunch got into state schools. Not applying to a safety school is now messing with her.  but the current drama is back to prom. Prom is june 9th its march 22nd and she's freaking out.  The entire theatre dept seniors are asking underclassman. Madalyn decided not to sit with her friends and she's sitting at her girlfriends friends table.  which is good becuase they are not as complicated. however the two tables are next to eachother.  Her group of friends requested this.  The other table of theatre kids have now also requested this.  The way they worked this is the senior is writing the underclassmans name down so the kids can buy their own ticket.  they have no intention of spedning the evening together  and the seniors are not inviting the underclassman to any afterprom activity and they are not telling them this.  The plan is to dump them at prom. literally strand them an  hour from home in the middle of no where. My advice was to Either A. tell the underclassman the plan or B. Stay out of their drama and worry about you having a good time. She called me in the  middle of passing to complain.   then on top of all that she has some other issues which i will save for another post. 

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NYmama96
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM
I think she should anonymously report what these seniors are up to to either guidence or the principal. She knows it is wrong and thankfully she isn't participating in this cruel activity.

As far as the college thing unfortunately it is the most stressful part of senior year.

Sending her lots of positive vibes and crossing all my fingers and toes she gets her first pick.

Iif she doesn't feel comfortable reporting what these other seniors I would if I were you. You don't even have to involve her you could say you over heard them while waiting for your daughter. Then she is completely left out of it.
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she needs to stay out of the prom drama. It isn't worth it.  

As far as colleges I would have insisted she apply to 2 safe schools.  Most counselors say every 2 reach schools you apply to apply to 1 safe school.   I had one neighbor apply to like 10 colleges and she applied to one safe in state school.  She only got in to the in state school she didn't want.  It worked out fine after all and she liked it.  It is a very good school just not what she was dreaming of.  Now she is at MIT grad school and she loves it.  

Msgme
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Thankfully several of our state schools have may 1st deadlines.  So she's working on that now. In her mind all but 1 were a safety school and no matter how many times i told her otherwise she wouldnt listen. These are schools with in order 7% accepatance,14%  25% ,26% and 37.  the 37 she was late with paperwork.  these are by no means easy schools. 

Quoting atlmom2:

As far as colleges I would have insisted she apply to 2 safe schools.  Most counselors say every 2 reach schools you apply to apply to 1 safe school.   I had one neighbor apply to like 10 colleges and she applied to one safe in state school.  She only got in to the in state school she didn't want.  It worked out fine after all and she liked it.  It is a very good school just not what she was dreaming of.  Now she is at MIT grad school and she loves it.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM

No, safety schools accept 60% or more.  U of Dayton where dd goes acceptance rate is 59% now and probably a little higher 3 years ago around 61% when she was accepted.  That was her hardest school to get into she applied to.  

Quoting Msgme:

Thankfully several of our state schools have may 1st deadlines.  So she's working on that now. In her mind all but 1 were a safety school and no matter how many times i told her otherwise she wouldnt listen. These are schools with in order 7% accepatance,14%  25% ,26% and 37.  the 37 she was late with paperwork.  these are by no means easy schools. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Msgme
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM

The suny's she's working on now with either may deadlines or rolling are about 40-50% acceptance which is much better. 

Quoting atlmom2:

No, safety schools accept 60% or more.  U of Dayton where dd goes acceptance rate is 59% now and probably a little higher 3 years ago around 61% when she was accepted.  That was her hardest school to get into she applied to.  

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Many Suny schools are awesome.  We have a friend who is the CEO and President of Home Depot Supply and he went to Suny Albany.  You don't need an Ivy league degree for a good job.  Heck my dh has a great job and he went to to an Indiana state school.  It is all in what you put into your job, your willingness to move around helps, and the hours you put in.  Neither have a masters degree either.  

Quoting Msgme:

The suny's she's working on now with either may deadlines or rolling are about 40-50% acceptance which is much better. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Msgme
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM

for her it wasnt so much the eliteness of them than it was the amount of money they would offer her. She also really wanted out of new york. even tho 3 are within the state of new york just several hours away. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Many Suny schools are awesome.  We have a friend who is the CEO and President of Home Depot Supply and he went to Suny Albany.  You don't need an Ivy league degree for a good job.  Heck my dh has a great job and he went to to an Indiana state school.  It is all in what you put into your job, your willingness to move around helps, and the hours you put in.  Neither have a masters degree either.  

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM

My dd didn't apply to any Wisconsin schools.  We were ok with that.  

Quoting Msgme:

for her it wasnt so much the eliteness of them than it was the amount of money they would offer her. She also really wanted out of new york. even tho 3 are within the state of new york just several hours away. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:47 PM

I love reading stories about going to a school she did NOT want to attend and it working out well for her.

MIT grad school also illustrates that the education she got was not very sub par--LOL

Quoting atlmom2:

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I love hearing success stories like these!

Obviously the educations these men received were not very sub par-- LOL.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)