Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone with seniors? Have they started to unravel?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:54 AM
  • 9 Replies

Just curious if mine is the only one...My former straight A student who would always come home and do her homework before anything else and always be in bed and asleep by 10 on a school night (has to get up at 6) is starting to get very nonchalant about everything.  Grades are slipping, doesn't care about school in the least, starting to come home at 10 on weekdays instead of being asleep (normal, I realize, but unique for my daughter). Anyone else?

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Debmomto2teens
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:02 AM
No. My senior has a partial scholarship to college and she doesn't want to lose it. She is really excited for college. However, she did say she is over high school, but grades have remained the same.
Maime13
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:25 AM

I don't have a senior this year, but I remember the pain of senioritis all too well. lol  

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Yes, it's the middle of lacrosse season and I see it with all 9 seniors. They are not playing to win. My DD still has good grades but they could be better and sure aren't her best. My kids have vacation this week and she only has about a week left in her English class, two weeks before her AP psych test and the rest of her classes she is trying to keep up her grade so she does not have to take a final. Only about 5 weeks of school left for her. She got a fulltime job for the summer and I see her putting more work into that than her school work. 

Msgme
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM
Maddy had some issues last semester. She even came close to failing a class which is so not like her. She pulled it together tho by 2nd semester. She only has one class that takes any effort which helps. My son however was the one who didn't care at all and junior year he started to get his butt in gear and he's even more focused this year. Its the oddest of things.
coleysmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:14 AM
My son has let one of his grades slip and he doesn't really seem to care. It's upsetting because it's a college course(dual credit?)that we had to pay for. I told him if he does not earn the credits he has to pay us back. If he was trying his hardest and going to the extra help sessions he wouldn't have to pay us back but he has chosen to just not get the extra help.
He's also extra crabby because he's still waiting to hear from one last college and of course it's where he really wants to go. I almost forgot he's still trying to muster up the courage to ask this certain girl to prom.
sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:18 AM
I had a senior last year… Yes, this was about the time he started to unravel. And then had a couple moments into the summer too.

What are your daughters plans after high school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Cautionary tale....my senior year, a friend got his acceptance revoked because his grades fell.  College told him in the middle of the summer (i guess after they had received his grades from the school) and sent him a letter stating that he had failed to uphold his end of the deal.

He was devastated and it was too late to accept/switch to any other schools for the fall.  He ended up having to apply to a bunch of other places and started school in January.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Mine is dealing with insomnia.  She's been strolling in late every day for the past month and it is pissing the assistant headmaster off.  She's also dealing with anxiety and she just started taking zoloft this month too.  I'm seeing a huge reduction in meltdowns and screaming.  She stayed home Monday to sleep because of the whole not sleeping thing finally caught up with her.  

brenda321
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Right now, my dd is planning on going to a local community college to take general courses until she figures out what she wants to do.  She has said that she doesn't want to go to college, but feels she doesn't have a choice if she wants to get a good job.  I know this is stressing her out.  She has mentioned wanting to go an anti-anxiety medication, but she does not want to go to counseling.  Although she is 18 and can technically do what she wants medical wise, I have told her I don't support that choice and explained why.  If she really needs an antidepressant, I feel she should go to counseling as well.  That way it will help her to learn to deal with stress in general.  Lord knows it doesn't go away as we get older!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)