Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you all think of this?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:30 AM
  • 33 Replies

Kelly Ripa was talking about her son that is a senior on her show.  She mentioned that his school has requested that NO ONE talk about the schools they have or have not been accepted to.  They don't want kids to feel bad if they didn't get in or haven't heard from any schools etc.  She said he has not picked a school yet and May 1 is coming soon (must be a deadline or when she wants him to decide).  

Ok, my theory is the school shouldn't be able to tell kids what they can talk about as in college choices.  This to me is the everyone wins a trophy mentality and getting rid of honor roll etc.  It is part of life for rejections etc and kids need to get in real life, not being sheltered.  I don't mean kids should be mean and say Na na na na na, you didn't get in, sort of thing but kids should be able to discuss and talk about the schools they have or have not got accepted to freely without the school telling them they can't.  I have never heard of this until Kelly mentioned it. 

Heck, our school has a big map and kids put their name on a push pin and put their name and school and where it is on the map, lol.  

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotspice58
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:54 AM

You totally have a point.  My only problem is kids who won't get in due to something that's not their fault.  My now 18 yo is developmentally delayed.  He won't get accepted to college because when he was an infant his Bm stuck him  in front of a TV while her DH was on trial.  He never got the chance to be at full capacity... Otherwise, it's not fair to those who did get accepted.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:02 AM

My dd said one day an African American on the bus was bragging she got into U of Wisconsin Madison with lower than normal GPA and ACT scores etc because of a quota.  Now that is just wrong.  I am not talking that low but lower than others who didn't get in.  That type of thing is wrong but I don't see anything wrong with kids discussing this and being excited.  I see your opinion also.  My dd went to a massage therapy school.  She didn't apply to any 4 year colleges but she did what she wanted and all the kids going to 4 year schools didn't make her feel bad and she was happy for them.  

Quoting hotspice58:

You totally have a point.  My only problem is kids who won't get in due to something that's not their fault.  My now 18 yo is developmentally delayed.  He won't get accepted to college because when he was an infant his Bm stuck him  in front of a TV while her DH was on trial.  He never got the chance to be at full capacity... Otherwise, it's not fair to those who did get accepted.

Pukalani79
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
When we were in school, at graduation they announced where everyone was going or what they were planning on doing. I think it's normal for the kids to share their excitement.
sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM
I agree that is absolutely ridiculous rule. At our high school graduation the kids usually decorate their mortarboards with something representing the college they will be attending. They also put out something that says which schools the students were accepted to. They don't have names next each school, but they'll say x number of students got into this school and x number of students got into that school. They do it because there are some damn impressive schools that these kids are getting into.

I think if you're worried about your child's feelings being hurt then you're not doing your job as a parent. Part of raising a good person is teaching them to be happy for others' successes and not jealous of them.

And as far as the girl bragging about getting in because of a quota.... Which may or may not be true… Again that is another teaching moment. It is something that a parent needs to address in a teachable way… Not in a "my poor baby" way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:11 AM

How the heck would that even work with those kids signing commitment letters to play sports?  Around here it's big news....the high school usually hosts the college and has a big to do over the signing.  A few athletes not only made the local (tiny) paper but also the regional news.

so....they cant talk about it at school but it's on the news during dinner?

just dumb.  Life is full of disappointments.  It's how you learn to deal with them that makes you successful or not.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM
I have to wonder if there is more this...like maybe she didn't understand the whole thing. Maybe they didn't want it discussed until after May 1st and the school is planning something then. My cousin's school did this and after the deadline did a big thing at the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:32 AM

It sounded like it is school policy and they do it every year.  She did say it was because they didn't want kids to stress out who didn't get in some schools etc.  

Quoting coolmommy2x: I have to wonder if there is more this...like maybe she didn't understand the whole thing. Maybe they didn't want it discussed until after May 1st and the school is planning something then. My cousin's school did this and after the deadline did a big thing at the school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Quoting sahlady: I agree that is absolutely ridiculous rule. At our high school graduation the kids usually decorate their mortarboards with something representing the college they will be attending. They also put out something that says which schools the students were accepted to. They don't have names next each school, but they'll say x number of students got into this school and x number of students got into that school. They do it because there are some damn impressive schools that these kids are getting into. I think if you're worried about your child's feelings being hurt then you're not doing your job as a parent. Part of raising a good person is teaching them to be happy for others' successes and not jealous of them. And as far as the girl bragging about getting in because of a quota.... Which may or may not be true… Again that is another teaching moment. It is something that a parent needs to address in a teachable way… Not in a "my poor baby" way.

I told my dd to ignore the girl bragging on the bus and yes, she told her gpa and her ACT scores and they were not really good enough to get it, but she did.  

balagan_imma
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:38 AM
That is strange. I'm wondering if it has more to do with him being the child of a celebrity and any assumptions people would make from there. Or they are just feeding into to everyone's a winner and gets a trophy thing.

My son is a senior and he asked me to not announce any acceptances he got on FB. But that was him. And when he made his decision then he let announce. You do need to let the school's know about your decision by May 1.
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:39 AM
It's not realistic to think that won't happen. It would be nice if they did a big celebration for the kids.

Quoting atlmom2:

It sounded like it is school policy and they do it every year.  She did say it was because they didn't want kids to stress out who didn't get in some schools etc.  

Quoting coolmommy2x: I have to wonder if there is more this...like maybe she didn't understand the whole thing. Maybe they didn't want it discussed until after May 1st and the school is planning something then. My cousin's school did this and after the deadline did a big thing at the school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)