Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens Steal Car and Die. Parents Blame Police...

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

I need to find the article. But last night I read about three teen girls ages 15-17 who stole a car at 4 am from the Wal-Mart parking lot. Lead police on a chase and then drove into a murky pond and died.

Police claimed that they did try running in after the girls however the water was more than 15 feet deep, there was no lighting, and the car went down very fast.

Dash cam footage has been released showing the police standing around and calling for back up. However they are not wet. So their claim of going into the water is under review. 

One of the girl's moms has obtained legal counsel and is claiming the officers didn't do enough to save her child.

I'm just over here like WTF...

How is it the officer's fault that your dd was out at 4 am breaking the law? How is it there responsibility to risk their lives any further in an attempt to save her life after her choices and actions led her into the car and the pond? I've seen the nature channel. One does not just jump into an unknown body of water in the dark. What if there were crocs or other predators in the water?

My heart goes out to the parents who lost their girls. I couldnt' imagine ever losing my daughter. But I just can't see the outrage towards the officers.

I can understand investigating their claim to have gone into the water. If they didn't go in then they should have been forth right about it. BUT it would not change my opinion that they were still doing their job and can understand and respect their judgment call not to go running blindly into an unsafe situation.

Thoughts? Has anyone else heard about this??

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ame4c
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a lot like the Ferguson case where he was robbing a store and got shot going after the cop. It's about blaming everyone else but the individuals choices. I'm not saying there are not legitimate claims for rascim I really hate it when someone says it doesn't exist but Ferguson just wasn't one of them.

This instance is very similar. Let's hurry and blame the cops and maybe no one will notice that they stole the car in the first place.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:18 PM

I don't feel that race has anything to do with this story. Mike was suspected of the robbery and stopped because me fit the description. I have been stopped for fitting a description. Trust me it's not fun. But I do agree his actions contributed to his death. And that needs to be acknowledged.

In this situation the girls were in the stolen car and the driver chose to go into the water. Their crime was in process.

Quoting ame4c: It's a lot like the Ferguson case where he was robbing a store and got shot going after the cop. It's about blaming everyone else but the individuals choices. I'm not saying there are not legitimate claims for rascim I really hate it when someone says it doesn't exist but Ferguson just wasn't one of them. This instance is very similar. Let's hurry and blame the cops and maybe no one will notice that they stole the car in the first place.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:00 PM
I don't think race had anything to do with either issue really but I know it happens and it's sad people can't get over themselves and put things like race aside.

Quoting Sydel:

I don't feel that race has anything to do with this story. Mike was suspected of the robbery and stopped because me fit the description. I have been stopped for fitting a description. Trust me it's not fun. But I do agree his actions contributed to his death. And that needs to be acknowledged.

In this situation the girls were in the stolen car and the driver chose to go into the water. Their crime was in process.

Quoting ame4c: It's a lot like the Ferguson case where he was robbing a store and got shot going after the cop. It's about blaming everyone else but the individuals choices. I'm not saying there are not legitimate claims for rascim I really hate it when someone says it doesn't exist but Ferguson just wasn't one of them.

This instance is very similar. Let's hurry and blame the cops and maybe no one will notice that they stole the car in the first place.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Before posting, I took the time to read the stories in the Tampa newspaper.  Thank you for sharing it

I think this SAD story falls into three categories.

First, choices have consequences and often you do not see or know them ahead of time.

Second, you can pick your kicks, but not the kickbacks.

Third, this is one of the many hazards of the criminal life, both the known and the unknown.

One of the things I read was that the attorney for the girl’s family is saying that the car may not have been stolen.  To me that is irrelevant because if the owner reported it as stolen, the police had no way of knowing it was or was not stolen. Another was that the police should not have been pursuing a vehicle reported stolen.  Well that is what police are hired to do.

One reason that the police were slow to approach the car was that they had NO CLUE who was in the vehicle or DID THEY HAVE GUNS.  Police officers don’t care to be the “HONORED DEAD” at a funeral for a fallen officer. 

What happened to these girls happened to more than a half dozen people down in Houston this week during flooding when they drove into high water.  When you drive into a pool of water, the electronics on your vehicle short out and stop working. Most all car windows are power windows now days, so you can no longer roll them down.  By law, vehicles are not air tight so that people don’t suffocate while driving down the road or sleeping in their cars overnight.  It is impossible to open a door with a foot or more of water pushing up against the door, so you just sit there until the water fills the vehicle and you drowned. 

Lawsuits are expensive to defend, so the families will probably get some money to settle.  (It’s real easy to drop a few hundred thousand in legal fees into defending a law suit.)

Where were the parents on controlling these kids?  

My heart goes out to these parents, just as it did to the parents of the Columbine killers, the Oklahoma bomber, and the Boston bombers.  They loved their children just as I love mine.

Gmm73
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this
All sad...I haven't read the article read, just the gist...
A little off topic, though...about car safety - your post compelled me to add that, as you mentioned, you're pretty much screwed if your car goes under (most don't think to open the windows before submersion of course) but cars have one 'feature' that a lot of people don't know...your head rests are removable and sharp on purpose...so you can smash the windows to get yourself out (window glass is designed to be more easily smashed from inside).
...Just in case anyone was thinking of cruising into a lake or something... It is good to know though.

Quoting Kimmybabe:

Before
posting, I took the time to read the stories in the Tampa newspaper.  Thank you for sharing it

I think this
SAD story falls into three categories.

First, choices have consequences and often
you do not see or know them ahead of time.

Second, you can pick your kicks, but not
the kickbacks.

Third, this is one of the many hazards of
the criminal life, both the known and the unknown.

One of the
things I read was that the attorney for the girl’s family is saying that the
car may not have been stolen.  To me that
is irrelevant because if the owner reported it as stolen, the police had no way
of knowing it was or was not stolen. Another was that the police should not
have been pursuing a vehicle reported stolen. 
Well that is what police are hired to do.

One reason
that the police were slow to approach the car was that they had NO CLUE who was
in the vehicle or DID THEY HAVE GUNS. 
Police officers don’t care to be the “HONORED DEAD” at a funeral for a
fallen officer. 

What
happened to these girls happened to more than a half dozen people down in Houston
this week during flooding when they drove into high water.  When you drive into a pool of water, the
electronics on your vehicle short out and stop working. Most all car windows
are power windows now days, so you can no longer roll them down.  By law, vehicles are not air tight so that
people don’t suffocate while driving down the road or sleeping in their cars
overnight.  It is impossible to open a
door with a foot or more of water pushing up against the door, so you just sit
there until the water fills the vehicle and you drowned. 

Lawsuits are
expensive to defend, so the families will probably get some money to
settle.  (It’s real easy to drop a few
hundred thousand in legal fees into defending a law suit.)

Where were the
parents on controlling these kids?  

My heart
goes out to these parents, just as it did to the parents of the Columbine killers,
the Oklahoma bomber, and the Boston bombers. 
They loved their children just as I love mine.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I did NOT know that.  That's brillant.  I'm totally sharing that with dd.

Quoting Gmm73: All sad...I haven't read the article read, just the gist... A little off topic, though...about car safety - your post compelled me to add that, as you mentioned, you're pretty much screwed if your car goes under (most don't think to open the windows before submersion of course) but cars have one 'feature' that a lot of people don't know...your head rests are removable and sharp on purpose...so you can smash the windows to get yourself out (window glass is designed to be more easily smashed from inside). ...Just in case anyone was thinking of cruising into a lake or something... It is good to know though.
Quoting Kimmybabe:

Before posting, I took the time to read the stories in the Tampa newspaper.  Thank you for sharing it

First, choices have consequences and often you do not see or know them ahead of time.

Third, this is one of the many hazards of the criminal life, both the known and the unknown.

One of the things I read was that the attorney for the girl’s family is saying that the car may not have been stolen.  To me that is irrelevant because if the owner reported it as stolen, the police had no way of knowing it was or was not stolen. Another was that the police should not have been pursuing a vehicle reported stolen.  Well that is what police are hired to do.

One reason that the police were slow to approach the car was that they had NO CLUE who was in the vehicle or DID THEY HAVE GUNS.  Police officers don’t care to be the “HONORED DEAD” at a funeral for a fallen officer. 

What happened to these girls happened to more than a half dozen people down in Houston this week during flooding when they drove into high water.  When you drive into a pool of water, the electronics on your vehicle short out and stop working. Most all car windows are power windows now days, so you can no longer roll them down.  By law, vehicles are not air tight so that people don’t suffocate while driving down the road or sleeping in their cars overnight.  It is impossible to open a door with a foot or more of water pushing up against the door, so you just sit there until the water fills the vehicle and you drowned. 

Lawsuits are expensive to defend, so the families will probably get some money to settle.  (It’s real easy to drop a few hundred thousand in legal fees into defending a law suit.)

My heart goes out to these parents, just as it did to the parents of the Columbine killers, the Oklahoma bomber, and the Boston bombers.  They loved their children just as I love mine.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing this.  I will get hubby to figure it out and explain it to me, our daughters and SILs.

Quoting Gmm73: All sad...I haven't read the article read, just the gist... A little off topic, though...about car safety - your post compelled me to add that, as you mentioned, you're pretty much screwed if your car goes under (most don't think to open the windows before submersion of course) but cars have one 'feature' that a lot of people don't know...your head rests are removable and sharp on purpose...so you can smash the windows to get yourself out (window glass is designed to be more easily smashed from inside). ...Just in case anyone was thinking of cruising into a lake or something... It is good to know though.
Quoting Kimmybabe:

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 21, 2016 at 10:42 PM
A few years ago here it seemed like a trend here. It was underage kids stealing parents cars and crashing and dying. So sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)