Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying very hard to not be selfish

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM
  • 18 Replies
My oldest is graduating on May 28th. I have been very excited for him and to see him walk the stage in his cap and gown.
Today he got a call from his Army Recruter and he has to leave for boot camp on May 25th. Which means he will miss graduating with his class.
So this is where I am trying not to be selfish. I really want to see him walk the stage as he is my first. But I don't want to hold him back from what he wants to do and his means to get where he needs to go in life.
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife2bertmomof7
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:43 PM
3 moms liked this
Update: just talked to the principal. They are going to do a graduation ceremony the week before just for my son. This way we can get all the photos and still see him "walk the stage". I am working on bumping up his graduation/ fairwell party a week.
Good thing I am a procrastinator and have not sent out any invites yet.
booscomputer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't worry about being selfish  or holding him back -- I assume he signed a contract with the Army and the Army doesn't care whether your feelings are hurt or not -- he's going on the day they tell him to go.  

lovingmommy4316
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:36 PM
Its a good opportunity for his future. I would be proud of him for making that decision at a young age. Most teens that graduate have no clue what they want for their future. You apparently raised him right ! And for the principal to accommodate for you & your son is amazing ! So enjoy
wife2bertmomof7
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:17 PM
He gets to pick if he leaves that day or not. He has to let his Recruter know tonight.

Quoting booscomputer:

I wouldn't worry about being selfish  or holding him back -- I assume he signed a contract with the Army and the Army doesn't care whether your feelings are hurt or not -- he's going on the day they tell him to go.  

wife2bertmomof7
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:20 PM
The school is amazing. We have had a very tough year. The principle said that he would do anything for our son. He said that he is an amazing young man. Vary proud mama moment.

Quoting lovingmommy4316: Its a good opportunity for his future. I would be proud of him for making that decision at a young age. Most teens that graduate have no clue what they want for their future. You apparently raised him right ! And for the principal to accommodate for you & your son is amazing ! So enjoy
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Glad it is all going to work out.  My son in law is in the Marines but he didn't go in until he was 19.  

lovingmommy4316
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I love those moments!
My ODD gets straight A's every report card, she's in 7th grade, but I'm calling everyone in my contacts to brag !

Quoting wife2bertmomof7: The school is amazing. We have had a very tough year. The principle said that he would do anything for our son. He said that he is an amazing young man. Vary proud mama moment.

Quoting lovingmommy4316: Its a good opportunity for his future. I would be proud of him for making that decision at a young age. Most teens that graduate have no clue what they want for their future. You apparently raised him right ! And for the principal to accommodate for you & your son is amazing ! So enjoy
wife2bertmomof7
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:38 PM
My son just turned 18 a month ago.

Quoting atlmom2:

Glad it is all going to work out.  My son in law is in the Marines but he didn't go in until he was 19.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:49 PM

My dd is a year younger than him so she left for college and a week later he went to boot camp.  

Quoting wife2bertmomof7: My son just turned 18 a month ago.
Quoting atlmom2:

wife2bertmomof7
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM
That would be hard. I am having trouble with one at a time.

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd is a year younger than him so she left for college and a week later he went to boot camp.  

Quoting wife2bertmomof7: My son just turned 18 a month ago.

Quoting atlmom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)