Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overprotective

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:23 AM
  • 47 Replies
I am not overprotective by any means. If my kids mess up, I'd like them to do it now so it's not as big of an issue. That being said, I have great kids and no reason not to trust them.
We bought season passes to Six Flags for our family and my son's girlfriend. We added meal plans to half of the passes and pay an awful lot for all of this. My son is 17 and his girlfriend is 16, 17 soon. They will be seniors in high school this school year. Six Flags is about an hour and a half away.

So, tomorrow they finally both have of from work. I can't go, so they are going alone. Gf's mom made some decisions that tick me off! First of all, they have to drive her car. I'm not sure why, our cars are older, but there is nothing wrong with them. I was actually going to have him drive mine and made sure he had enough gas. She said he is driving hers and told him he has to put gas in it.

The other thing is, they have to leave at 4:30! It opens at 10:00. That makes me mad because they won't be able to use both of the meals we pay for. There are time restrictions on the meals, dinner starts at 5:00. She says she wants them home by dark, but it doesn't get dark until about 8:00.

I think I should just cancel the trip. She's being ridiculous and too controlling. Six hours isn't worth the drive. Am I over reacting? The kids just want to spend time together. They could go to the local water park, that we don't have passes for, and have fun. I just cringe at the passes being wasted.

Update: After stewing all night I sent her this text, I had put gas in the suburban for the kids. Arik told me you're making him put gas in? That's just not right. Meal plan dinner starts at 5, I don't think 530 is an unreasonable time for them to leave"

She called and wasn't going to budge. She said the kids were fine with 4:30. I told her they're not fine with it, they don't have a choice and it's ridiculous. Also, she likes to put things on her husband. It was his idea, which isn't true. I mentioned that part too, as I said it is what it is, have a nice day, and hung up. I know it was immature on my part, but she is way too controlling and I'm sick of it. I typically don't comment to her because it's her daughter, so my opinion doesn't matter.

After the phone call she replied with a text saying 5:30, but no later, and she didn't appreciate that.

It didn't hurt her to compromise.
by on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NYmama96
by Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:28 AM
3 moms liked this
Let them go and have fun. Yes there are restrictions. Maybe after this time and proving they can respect her stipulations then maybe next time she will loosen up and will be OK with a long day.
Mom2KAMD
by Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:32 AM
That was my original thought, I've just had some time to think about it and get irritated. I am not loving that they're driving that far alone either. This is the first time they will be alone this long since they started dating over a year ago.

I'm kind of offended about the car.
TurtleMami
by on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:37 AM
3 moms liked this
Have them drive seperate cars, she can pay for her own gas and your son can stay longer. Maybe that will shut the mom up.
TurtleMami
by on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:38 AM
2 moms liked this
And if you paid for her pass the least she could do is pay for gas. Demanding gas money from your son for her vehicle is just rude.
iwicked
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Let them go and have fun. I would be happy my son's gf has parents that are restrictive.
goldpandora
by on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM

I'd be a bit of a pain I think. Firstly, this is your treat and you're offering your car plus gas therefore it's you who calls the shots. No, you can't dictate your conditions to the gf, I understand that but you can say "oh what a pity you can't go" to her and see if your son can find a friend who wants to go with him. It's ot because HER mother won't accept your conditions that the woman gets to define your treat.

Find someone else to go with him :) Bet the gf finds a way to "persuade" her mother...

Mom2KAMD
by Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 5:58 AM
2 moms liked this
It's too much. I'm glad she wants her safe but they are going to be on their own next year.

Quoting iwicked: Let them go and have fun. I would be happy my son's gf has parents that are restrictive.
Mom2KAMD
by Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Good points and ideas, unfortunately his other friends all have to work. Maybe I should just have him go with his brother. My other son didn't want to be a third wheel.

Quoting goldpandora:

I'd be a bit of a pain I think. Firstly, this is your treat and you're offering your car plus gas therefore it's you who calls the shots. No, you can't dictate your conditions to the gf, I understand that but you can say "oh what a pity you can't go" to her and see if your son can find a friend who wants to go with him. It's ot because HER mother won't accept your conditions that the woman gets to define your treat.

Find someone else to go with him :) Bet the gf finds a way to "persuade" her mother...

Maime13
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 7:02 AM

I agree that it's a lot of restrcitions and seems silly given the situation of a driving a short-ish distance to a controlled environment. However, it's literally the first time this summer that they are going. Perhaps she is considering this a "test run" and will loosen her grip a bit the next time? I mean, the sun doesn't set here till almost 9pm. Maybe next time they'll be able to stay a few hours longer?

Either way, I'd try to be chill and let the kids go and have fun. I'm sure they'd rather go together for a short time than not at all. It's likely you that's having the harder time with it.

Quoting Mom2KAMD: It's too much. I'm glad she wants her safe but they are going to be on their own next year.
Quoting iwicked: Let them go and have fun. I would be happy my son's gf has parents that are restrictive.

Debmomto2teens
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2016 at 7:06 AM
3 moms liked this
You have season passes and meal plans. Use the meal plan another time. I think you are overreacting about that.

If she has a newer car and it is a long ride, so what?

The only thing I would say something about is the gas money. I would kindly say since we bought her a season pass, we are not paying for gas.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)