Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

big day

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

So today was my twins 15th birthday and our first high school orientation. whew! 

Orientation went better than expected. I'm one of those better to expect the worst people. lol. To my relief the girls have one class together in the fall and have the same math teacher but at different times. That made them feel better.  The school also let them have a locker next to each other which could come in handy. 

My adhd child has the crazy biology teacher however.  I haven't decided what to do about that yet.  My neighbor recommend asking for a schedule change. Maybe...  My dd doesn't like change however. She'd be upsset if this request made her other classes change. 

Oh yeah.  I discovered that the bus schedule is not at all what I thought it was for my dd that is going to a science program at a different school. ACK!  I thought they were going to the main school and she'd catch a bus to the science program. Turns out that she has to catch a different bus all together.  I have no idea how I'm going to get them to two places at once or how she's going to get her clarinet to school without having to carry it all over the county.

Guess I'd better figure that out in the next couple of days. I love these things that get thrown at you at the last minute.

All in all not as bad and I had thought it was going to be. At least all of the classes were correct.

Then we went to dinner for their birthday.  My dd who has been looking forward to her birthday for a month is sick and had to leave early. :-(  Sad. 

Next up hair cuts, clothes shopping, birthday party, learners license testing. Sigh. I'm ready to get back to our routine and end the craziness. 

by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
romalove
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 7:57 AM
Does she only have one instrument? My daughter had one for home to practice with and one for school that was kept in a locker in the orchestra room. My daughter had orchestra every day, so carrying back and forth daily would have been a real problem. Can you get a second clarinet?
Sydel
by Group Admin on Aug. 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Is she big on practicing? My dd usually leaves her instruments in the music room at school. Granted she's a percussionist and can't carry a snare back and fourth. But she only brings her violin home on the weekends because she never has practice time during the week.

I received dd's high school letter yesterday. Orientation is next week. I'm surprised that she's not nervous. Or at least not showing it. But at the same time the middle school is combined with the high school and she had several classes in the high school the last two years.

We are just doing dinner and a sleep over for dd's 15th. (I think)

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Sounds awesome.  Happy Birthday to your twins.  

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Well...  they have been big on practicing in the past. But that was middle and they didn't have band after school a couple of days a week. Also the middle school teacher didn't like the kids to leave their instruments b/c there wasn't a way to lock them. 

I have no idea how this works in high school  Or if they even have a place to keep the instruments. 

Maybe she can bring it home after the games on Friday night and bring it back on Monday mornings? I certainly don't want her carrying it around all over the county.

For the  record.  I HATE school transitions. 

Msgme
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Happy birthday to your girls. Our high schools don't do orientation. Tori will get a card in the mail a few days before school telling her what her room she will need to go get her schedule. She will need to take a subway and a bus to school.I'm really glad she's going to this school cause she has all of Maddy's old friends there that were younger than Maddy. Plus her best friend is starting there too. I'm still having a hard time with my baby starting highschool
iwashere
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I'm going to suggest you try cloning yourself. Seriously, it's the only way to get all the kids in all their places.

Other than that, is the crazy bio teacher really insane or just a jerk? My ds hates change too and he would have been very resistant to changing his schedule, even if classes hadn't started. I feel for you because that's a tough thing for your dd to handle and if she's like my son, she just can't see past it to understand that a bit of pain now saves her a year of dealing with a crazy teacher.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Happy birthday to the twins!!!

Oh, the craziness is just beginning--LOL.

Enjoy these years as they are among your most golden years as a family. 

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2016 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Your son sounds exactly like my daughter. Makes life hard.

I'm seeking other opinions about the teacher. I've had several people complain to me about the biology teachers. Not sure it's the same one however. Got to make sure it's worth going through the stress of making the change.

Quoting iwashere:

I'm going to suggest you try cloning yourself. Seriously, it's the only way to get all the kids in all their places.

Other than that, is the crazy bio teacher really insane or just a jerk? My ds hates change too and he would have been very resistant to changing his schedule, even if classes hadn't started. I feel for you because that's a tough thing for your dd to handle and if she's like my son, she just can't see past it to understand that a bit of pain now saves her a year of dealing with a crazy teacher.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:19 AM
Had to share:

I took the girls to the dmv yesterday for learners liscenses. Got stopped by mother of a 10th grader in line who recognized us. She gave me lots of good information about the school and the biology teacher.

so there you go. Sometimes help comes from unexpected places. Who would have thought the dmv could be helpful?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)