Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- I Just Died Laughing But I Guess I'm Rude

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I recieved a call from a prospective client. She is selling LaLuRoe and wanted to know if she could get a business policy for all of the product she is purchasing and liability for when she does events.

We had a great conversation and I told her that I'm currently selling Damsel in Defense which is personal protection products.

So being all girly we were like let's like each other's facebook pages and support one another.

So I told her my page and she says

" I don't think I found the right page because there is a picture of a black woman and you don't sound black"

I laughed. Like really hard. I couldn't help it it just came out. I told her that yes that's me. And she was like OMG really?? You didn't have to laugh so hard that's so rude.

So I ended up apologizing to her??? And then we ended the call and she never liked my damn page! 

by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iwashere
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, she was rude. i mean seriously, that's a stupid stereotype.

Prizgrdskid
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
OMG! That is unreal! The worst part of it all is that she said it and thought it was a totally acceptable thing to say, AND THEN, can you rude for laughing at her cluelessness. WOW! JUST WOW!
Princess_Thena
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM
That's ridiculous, but not uncommon. our oldest son is biracial, but very dark. He apparently doesn't "sound" black either. That's something we've heard often :/
romalove
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this
She sounds like you don't want to network with her.

Be happy you found out what an idiot she is before you got involved.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM

I've heard it my entire life. My boss actually asked me how I learned to speak. I told him my mom and dad. He was like so they taught you to speak proper. And I was like no they spoke English in front of me and by the age of 2 I picked up. He was still confused. SMH...

Quoting Princess_Thena: That's ridiculous, but not uncommon. our oldest son is biracial, but very dark. He apparently doesn't "sound" black either. That's something we've heard often :/

Princess_Thena
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband and I are both white, our oldest is adopted, and until he came to live with us I never realized just how much race can be an issue.
Your boss sounds like a complete idiot. But our son's been asked the same, who taught him to speak that way, and did we have to correct his speech after we adopted him.

Quoting Sydel:

I've heard it my entire life. My boss actually asked me how I learned to speak. I told him my mom and dad. He was like so they taught you to speak proper. And I was like no they spoke English in front of me and by the age of 2 I picked up. He was still confused. SMH...

Quoting Princess_Thena: That's ridiculous, but not uncommon. our oldest son is biracial, but very dark. He apparently doesn't "sound" black either. That's something we've heard often :/

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Sorry, but that lady was so rude to say that.  THEN the nerve to turn it around on you and tell you that you were rude.  

romalove
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

People have preconceived notions about a lot of things that simply don't hold true everywhere.

I was born in Brooklyn and raised variously in Brooklyn, New Jersey, Rockland, Westchester, and Staten Island.  I was raised by a father who was a drama and English major in school, he even taught for a bit, and he would not allow improper English to be spoken, or for accented English.  By the time I was a teenager in Staten Island, everyone had a thick accent but I didn't.

So I was in a cab and the driver asked me when I got to this country.  I said I was born here, what do you mean?  He said oh, I thought you were from Ireland.

I'm a Jew from NY and he thought I was from Ireland because I didn't have a thick NY accent.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM

I will say that my mom did not learn English until she was 10 or 12 (the age changes every time she tells it) But she was taught my Christian Missionaries from New England who were very big on speaking properly. My mom's accent is very light compared to my grandma and a few of her siblings.I remember it being thicker when I was younger but it's almost non-existent now.

My boss is a sweetheart but he just says dumb shit. He's a big Trump Supporter and sometimes I feel like my boss IS Trump. He just talks without filter and out of his ass. He says stuff that he just shouldn't. But he has been really good to me these last 4 1/2 years. So I cut him some slack.

Quoting Princess_Thena: My husband and I are both white, our oldest is adopted, and until he came to live with us I never realized just how much race can be an issue. Your boss sounds like a complete idiot. But our son's been asked the same, who taught him to speak that way, and did we have to correct his speech after we adopted him.
Quoting Sydel:

Princess_Thena
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM
Where is your mother from originally? Our son is American, born and raised and he's always spoken properly. I honestly have more of an accent than he does, my mother is British and I have a slight accent.

I don't think I could tolerate that, sweet or not. I have no patience for individuals like that.

Quoting Sydel:

I will say that my mom did not learn English until she was 10 or 12 (the age changes every time she tells it) But she was taught my Christian Missionaries from New England who were very big on speaking properly. My mom's accent is very light compared to my grandma and a few of her siblings.I remember it being thicker when I was younger but it's almost non-existent now.

My boss is a sweetheart but he just says dumb shit. He's a big Trump Supporter and sometimes I feel like my boss IS Trump. He just talks without filter and out of his ass. He says stuff that he just shouldn't. But he has been really good to me these last 4 1/2 years. So I cut him some slack.

Quoting Princess_Thena: My husband and I are both white, our oldest is adopted, and until he came to live with us I never realized just how much race can be an issue.
Your boss sounds like a complete idiot. But our son's been asked the same, who taught him to speak that way, and did we have to correct his speech after we adopted him.

Quoting Sydel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)