Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dorm room shopping

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM
  • 22 Replies
Okay so today was the big shopping trip. We shopped at bed ,bath beyond and target. Holy crap is this stuff expensive. I didn't pay it was a gift from my sister but the total from BBB was just under 667 and then $240 from target. Yikes. She still needs a computer and printer. Soaps and shampoos and that kinda thing.
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Its not cheap the first year but a lot of things you use for 4 years so it pays off in the end.  The computer will last beyond the 4 years.  I got dd a cheap $20 printer and she didn't even use it that much.  She printed at the library some and just didn't need to really print a whole lot anyway.  You send a lot of papers and things by email attachments or upload to the professors sites.  

dedhed
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Yes, it is a fortune...i had 3 in at one time@!

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

My MIL had 3 kids in college at the same time for 2 years.  It was crazy.  

Quoting dedhed:

Yes, it is a fortune...i had 3 in at one time@!

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We are not bothering with a printer. I asked dd about it and she did not want it-- apparently there is a 24 hour lab right in her dorm so she thought it would be silly to have a printer taking up space in her room. I love that she has a lab In her building.

The stuff does get pricey-- I have not even added it all up.
Msgme
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:59 PM
All 3 are wanting a printer. They decided one will rent the fridge, one will bring the k cup machine and one the printer and something else that I forgot. Maddy volunteered the printer. English majors lol.

Quoting atlmom2:

Its not cheap the first year but a lot of things you use for 4 years so it pays off in the end.  The computer will last beyond the 4 years.  I got dd a cheap $20 printer and she didn't even use it that much.  She printed at the library some and just didn't need to really print a whole lot anyway.  You send a lot of papers and things by email attachments or upload to the professors sites.  

coleysmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM
I'm sitting here in dorm supply hell right now and just jumped on cafemom to take a break.
We did bed bath and beyond, target, dollar store and looking at mini fridges yesterday. We bought a bedding package from his school website and it just arrived this morning. His bedding package was $200, BBB was $175, $50 at the dollar store and $50 at target. The mini fridge we will order and have shipped to the store nearest his school so we have more room in the car. He still needs to order a laptop and printer, a dry erase board and a robe.
Today hard been taking off labels, unboxing things, labeling, washing his new sheets and making sure things work. I'm wiped out!
I have not spent a penny. It has and will all come from a small scholarship of $1500 he won from an essay he wrote, graduation gifts, and Eagle scout ceremony gifts. He has complained about the cost of everything the whole time. Lol

my2kidsmom9498
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Just remember everything that goes in, multiplies, and comes back out and has to be stored! Dd just graduated in May, and was in apartments the last few years. My house is crammed with her stuff! Ack! It is fun to shop though!
Msgme
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Okay so invest in a storage unit.  Gotcha  lol

Shopping with maddy and my sister is the oddest of things.  My sister does not look at price tags at all. Drove me nuts she almost grabbed a $20 can opener (a hand one) and an $80 iorn but it was cute  lol.  Maddy can't decide on anything at all.  The goal was purple. Lets say there were lots of different colors in the basket

Quoting my2kidsmom9498: Just remember everything that goes in, multiplies, and comes back out and has to be stored! Dd just graduated in May, and was in apartments the last few years. My house is crammed with her stuff! Ack! It is fun to shop though!

iwashere
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM

It's outrageous. DH asked how much we spent and I just said "enough to give you a heart failure." He never asked again. Lol.

the printer thing is optional. Ds had a printer room in his dorm. But I've said before he keeps vampire hours and didn't want to get dressed to go downstairs. But he only had to print for English classes. Most stuff is uploaded. Otoh, it cost $35 so I bought it.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

maddy is do homework at 3 in the morning kinda kid so it should come in handy.  i'm not sure if she has anyplace in her dorm to print.  I know there is a room she can go to play music and stuff during quiet hours  but not sure about much else  lol

Quoting iwashere:

It's outrageous. DH asked how much we spent and I just said "enough to give you a heart failure." He never asked again. Lol.

the printer thing is optional. Ds had a printer room in his dorm. But I've said before he keeps vampire hours and didn't want to get dressed to go downstairs. But he only had to print for English classes. Most stuff is uploaded. Otoh, it cost $35 so I bought it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)