Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Your Teens School Conduct Random Drug Testing?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM
  • 20 Replies

Does your schools do random drug testing?

If they do, is it random for the entire student body or for certain groups such as athletes and students who drive to school?

If your school does not, would you want to see a policy put in place and under what circumstances?

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:24 AM

No I would be fine with it. Maybe the if kids knew it could happen they wouldn't get high during school hours. Maybe the kids that do would get the help they need.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM
No they don't.

I don't know how I feel about it, in a way I feel like it's a privacy invasion- yet we do it at our business.

I understand the reasoning, but am 150% confident in my kids. So sort of not my problem, I'm not really interested in monitoring and paying for some screening and punitive measure. Plus, that's just more tax money that could be better used.

It's again one of those things if a family has lost control, we want the government to step in? And we pay again? Yeah, no. It's about as effective approach as Ms Obamas lunches.
YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Our high school that's random testing on any child involved in any extracurricular activity. And I have no problem with it.
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM

They do and have since 2007.  

IF you are in sports, clubs, any activity where you represent the school you have to consent to random drug testing.  At this school probably 90% of the school meets that criteria.  

No one has an issue that I know of.  I think the kids here really want to participate in sports and suck and it is a deterrent.  They rarely have someone test positive.  

My oldest was picked randomly 2 times, lol.  My youngest never was.  Of course I knew she was negative.  I think they test something like 15 random kids 2 times a month.  With 2500 kids the odds are you won't get picked ever.  

romalove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:05 PM

From what I can tell it doesn't appear "random".

It appears that they can decide to test a kid if they suspect they are drinking or on drugs, and there's a whole procedure in the handbook that must be followed.

Because there can be false positives, I am not on board with random drug testing for all students.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I always wondered at our school when my dd got picked 2 times that if they picked the kids they suspected would test negative, lol.  

Quoting romalove:

From what I can tell it doesn't appear "random".

It appears that they can decide to test a kid if they suspect they are drinking or on drugs, and there's a whole procedure in the handbook that must be followed.

Because there can be false positives, I am not on board with random drug testing for all students.  

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:25 PM

No they didn't and no I don't want a policy in place that did. 

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM

We are not in high school yet but I quick little search and apparently not (for some reason thought the association that governs the school atheletic program might but they appear not to.

Honestly I wouldnt have an issue with it. Both DH and I are subject to random drug tests at work. Usually those that protest too much are the ones worried they will not pass, from my experience at least. Please test my kid because he is using and I am clueless I want to be clued in too.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Our schools that I know of don't do drug testing its possible some schools do I am only familiar with 2 of the more than 500 schools in the city. I'm sort of on the fence with it. I know a lot of the kids that were in maddys theatre program that were not drug free. I know some of the parents started drug testing at home and it created a small stir. I knew a few kids who were getting high but had parents that kept saying not my kid.

When I was in highschool the boy who sat next to me in homeroom and Spanish was a dealer. I remember he had lots of purple pills. He got busted in class one day by the cops. Turned out his supplier was our homeroom teacher they were both taken out in cuffs.
sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

No policy like that I am aware of.... no I really dont think there is a need for random drug testing.  And I would vote no it I had a choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)