• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How nice for hs sports parents

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

Both of my older two were in sports while in hs.... but the hs has a new principal and is growing, so things are changing.  They are having regular parent seminars (quarterly??) re: sports health.  How nice.  Topics covered are communication (with kids, with coaches, etc), nutrition, sleep, stretching, etc.  I cant make the first seminar on communication but might pop in on some of the others to see what they have to say.  Both hubs and I were athletes in school and up until last year I still participated so Im not sure that I will learn much new.... but still what a nice thing for parents.

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Group Admin on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM

That is really nice. I know that we have a mandatory parent's meeting before each season where they briefly discuss nutrition, sleep, social media, and grades but that's it.

Debmomto2teens
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds great!  One topic I always wanted cover was to discuss with parents how their child will very likely not get a scholarship and there is a less than 1% chance they will go pro.  So many parents put so much pressure on kids and think they are getting these full rides to college.  Atheletic scholarships have declined dramatically.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM

I think the parents at our school are VERY realistic.  The school is an arts magnate and NOT known for its sports.  It doesnt even have a football team or cheerleaders.  Our school is a huge draw for many (ranked very high nationally)... but not those types of parents.

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

That sounds great!  One topic I always wanted cover was to discuss with parents how their child will very likely not get a scholarship and there is a less than 1% chance they will go pro.  So many parents put so much pressure on kids and think they are getting these full rides to college.  Atheletic scholarships have declined dramatically.

Debmomto2teens
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM
My kids high school is a performing arts and the same. When they were in Catholic grade school, it was awful. One classmate of my oldest dd committed suicide in high school. The parents were super crazy about sports and the pressure got too much. In his suicide note he stated the reason he was doing it because he didn't feel he could meet his parents standards. Just awful.

Quoting sahlady:

I think the parents at our school are VERY realistic.  The school is an arts magnate and NOT known for its sports.  It doesnt even have a football team or cheerleaders.  Our school is a huge draw for many (ranked very high nationally)... but not those types of parents.

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

romalove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend from HS who's son is a freshman at Penn State this year, he got a full ride football scholarship there.  He's a ginormous offensive player, and was courted all over.  I have a lot of friends who's kids did all star cheer, made All American, and still there are very few scholarships for cheer available.  One of my friend's daughters is at University of South Carolina and is on the cheer team, the "scholarship" is to give out of state students in state tuition.  Another friend has a son who's a volleyball standout, he plays all over the country, he's a senior now.  They are looking at colleges known for volleyball but even then there isn't much in the way of scholarships.

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

hotspice58
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM

That is nice.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM

some times there is no money offered up but you get into a GREAT school.  we have a friend whose son is graduating from Harvard next year.  He got in because of his sport but there was no monetary "scholarship".

Quoting romalove:

I have a friend from HS who's son is a freshman at Penn State this year, he got a full ride football scholarship there.  He's a ginormous offensive player, and was courted all over.  I have a lot of friends who's kids did all star cheer, made All American, and still there are very few scholarships for cheer available.  One of my friend's daughters is at University of South Carolina and is on the cheer team, the "scholarship" is to give out of state students in state tuition.  Another friend has a son who's a volleyball standout, he plays all over the country, he's a senior now.  They are looking at colleges known for volleyball but even then there isn't much in the way of scholarships.

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

romalove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM

That would suck, though, to get in to a great school and not be able to afford it!

Conversely, my daughter was offered scholarships at all but one of the 7 schools she applied for, all for artistic talent (she does music composition and viola).  She was terrified because it can be so competitive that she wouldn't get in anywhere so she auditioned/interviewed/portfolio'd at 7 schools, and she ended up with tons of choices with lots of money.  So having a specific talent that is desired can bring money.

Quoting sahlady:

some times there is no money offered up but you get into a GREAT school.  we have a friend whose son is graduating from Harvard next year.  He got in because of his sport but there was no monetary "scholarship".

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:00 PM

The Ivy league no longer offers athletic or academic scholarships....only financial.  That was a real lovely piece of info at the Harvard parent info session when dd visited there.  sigh.

Patriot league schools still offer up a little.  But not much.  And forget about it if it's DIV 3.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so true.  And injuries as well.  DD's sister in law was a gymnastics hopeful this year for the Olympics.  She was hurt and healing from Fall though spring and didn't get the right treatments for her broken foot and missed the trials.  Super sad for her but with Gabby and Ali coming back she didn't have much of a chance either if she was healthy.  She is super good at the beam and that would have been if they needed someone strong in that.  She verbally committed to UCLA when she was 14.  

It is not something most can achieve and it does take hard work.  She has been homeschooled for years because of her training.  Most kids have no prayer of going pro or the Olympics ever and shouldn't have that pressure on them.  I can't imagine.  

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)