• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting bullied

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:41 PM
  • 16 Replies
I just found out that my cousins 14 year old dd had someone create a fake instagram. Put a pic of my cousins daughter and it said something about how she should go kill herself. They found out who started it (he admitted it) so my cousin goes to the police to handle it and they tell her she should just delete all of her social media. This is an ongoing issue with this kid and she needs to delete social media. Just annoyed the crap out of me.
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Group Admin on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:52 PM

I've heard this alot. Local police aren't equipped nor do they have an interest in social media catfishing or harrashment. There have been people who have dealt with it for YEARS accross the US.

The FBI will only get invovled if a crime is committed in connection to the fake page.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM
I found out about it after tori did so its a bit blown up now but she was told when she called to come in so they could investigate but their only advice was to delete social media.

There is some history with this boy and his lil group of friends. They found her to be an easy target.

Quoting Sydel:

I've heard this alot. Local police aren't equipped nor do they have an interest in social media catfishing or harrashment. There have been people who have dealt with it for YEARS accross the US.

The FBI will only get invovled if a crime is committed in connection to the fake page.

coleysmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM
That's terrible. I normally don't blame parents because I know kids can be sneaky but what have they tried to do about it? Do they know?
Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:57 PM
I don't know a whole lot of what my cousin has done. Tori found out first and reacted the way tori does. Once that blew up a bit my cousin discovered Tori's reaction and called me. She didn't go into much detail other than what the police officer said.

Quoting coleysmama: That's terrible. I normally don't blame parents because I know kids can be sneaky but what have they tried to do about it? Do they know?
iwashere
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Wow, that's horrible. I just don't think police have this as a priority and they should. this is bullying and harassment and probably a bunch of other stuff. We need our laws to catch up to technology now.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Can they press charges? Is it a kid at school? 

My boys had a similar issue last year, not with social media but a kid at school said some type of death threat to my son. He taped it on his phone and the kid didn't know it. We got him suspended from school right over finals, the kid isn't there this year. High profile dad, I didn't care, I pursued it to the fullest extent. If they aren't happy with the police suggestions, I'd see a lawyer and figure out what can be done. I give these kids no grace at all. My friend found a good lawyer who dealt with social media bullying, and took the parents to task on it. I'd do it, scare the hell out of the parents and maybe they'll learn to control their kid.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:04 PM

But, I do blame the parents. If they don't know, they should have. They should know the character of their kid. They should also be controlling that kid. Maybe they aren't very "present" and this is a wake up call to set some serious consequences. This is the type of thing that leads kids to suicide. We've had 3 suicides here in the last several months, all social media related. It's so sad.

Quoting coleysmama: That's terrible. I normally don't blame parents because I know kids can be sneaky but what have they tried to do about it? Do they know?

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Well he went to middle school with her but I have no idea what highschool he is starting. First day is tomorrow. I know my cousin has spoken with his parents in the past but not sure if she has this time.

Quoting Ziva65:

My boys had a similar issue last year, not with social media but a kid at school said some type of death threat to my son. He taped it on his phone and the kid didn't know it. We got him suspended from school right over finals, the kid isn't there this year. High profile dad, I didn't care, I pursued it to the fullest extent. If they aren't happy with the police suggestions, I'd see a lawyer and figure out what can be done. I give these kids no grace at all. My friend found a good lawyer who dealt with social media bullying, and took the parents to task on it. I'd do it, scare the hell out of the parents and maybe they'll learn to control their kid.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 2:12 AM
I hope they pursue it. These are the types of issues that lead to suicide. In our district it's a significant problem. It's the first thing they look at in these suicides, and so far they've been right every time. So sad. Encourage them to put pressure on that kid.

I know hers wasn't at school, but my sons was. I sent a strong letter the night before (reviewed by our neighbor a DA) and waited at 8 am in the principals office the next morning. i never bothered with the dad, I let law enforce the do it. They carry more weight and the school can expel the kid. If I had gone the attorney route, I'd still not speak to the dad. I actually think most kids who bully are much like their parents. Parents just may be more subtle.

And for this boy hassling your niece, it's probably not the first time. It needs to be stopped.

Quoting Msgme: Well he went to middle school with her but I have no idea what highschool he is starting. First day is tomorrow. I know my cousin has spoken with his parents in the past but not sure if she has this time.

Quoting Ziva65:

PPCLC
by on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Parents really do need to be more of what their kids are doing online. It's a shame that there is nothing that the LE can do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)