Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too soon

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM
  • 20 Replies
MIL gave daughter some mail that went to her house. There was an invite to the National College Fair in Cincinnati THIS Sunday.

DigiPen will be there. Since this is a west coast college, access to them is limited. I checked their site and they won't be back in Ohio until next fall.

She's a freshman. Is it too early to be making these trips? I'm free and can go. It's a 4 hour drive but I've done that kind of driving for swim meets and pageants.
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It can't hurt. We started looking in my son's sophomore year when he wanted to play water polo in college. If it's athletics oriented, the coaches can't talk with you until the student's high school senior year.

If you are open to looking, that's great. Maybe she can narrow down a bit what she likes. For my oldest though, things changed a lot between Freshman and Junior year, so , you never know...

My younger ones already know where they want to go because they went on all the college tours with us for their older brother. He was sort of our test run LOL.

I would suggest looking at some college planning books and seeing what sorts of majors, campuses, campus life, etc she'd like. They are all so different.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Not really.  I mean some start looking very young.  

My dd didn't even really think about college till the summer before senior year.  She did her 5 college visits all in one week, lol.  None were in our home state at all.  

pdxmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:58 PM
Honestly? If she is into gaming and coding, driving 4 hours to meet reps from DigiPen isn't worth it. Just go to their amazing website and find a program she can do remotely. And sign her up. And make sure she takes lots of math and physics.

And if she does that and geeks out in their program, invest in a trip to Seattle to visit the campus. I'm not a gamer but I wanted to be after the visit.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Sep. 8, 2016 at 12:48 AM
No it's not to early.
iwashere
by on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Heck no. Go and have fun. Even if she changes her mind (cuz that's what teens do), it will keep her fired up and focused on the end goal.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 6:39 AM
Not really. Here they start talking to kids to college in middle school. We also have programs at work that work with low income kids in middle school. They are federal and state grant programs (gear up, college bound) that help kids see college can be attainable and affordable. Too many kids think my family can't afford it and these programs help keep kids motivated. It's s lot of mentoring too for kids who may not have adults to do so.

When I mentioned my 6th grader took a field trip to Harvard people were like way too early and it's pushing college on kids or putting pressure. Up until that field trip my son was like no way am I going to college (he hated school) after he wanted to go to Harvard. It definitely motivated him. It was just a tour which really anyone can take. Harvard is also full of landmarks, I took
The tour as part of local history class in college. They did have someone from fin aid office talk to them about affordability. I work in high Ed financing and I never knew how Harvard worked. Harvard was one of our school back when we guaranteed loans for gov't and we had few defaults from there and just assumed Harvard grads do good which is part of it. There is very little borrowing there. The less your parents make the less you pay. Your tuition is based on family income difference isn't made up by loans but offset by the endowment.

This year (8th grade) they are going to another local college. It will be s little more involved tour. Usually they don't take chaperones but was going to see if I could tag along. Aside from the school trips we live in college town so I've taken him to my old school and we've seen other campuses. Mostly I'm trying to bring his aspirations down some (just don't see Harvard working out) hoping he likes the school they are visiting this year because im looking for a job there so he can get free tuition.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Sep. 8, 2016 at 6:46 AM
She doesn't want to do gaming or coding. She claims she wants to do animation for Pixar. Ideally Funimation. A trip to Seattle is pricey. There are other schools she can go to that don't require a trip across the country. I agreed to take her but only after I confirmed 40+ different colleges will be there. I'm hoping she opens up her options to other schools.

Quoting pdxmum: Honestly? If she is into gaming and coding, driving 4 hours to meet reps from DigiPen isn't worth it. Just go to their amazing website and find a program she can do remotely. And sign her up. And make sure she takes lots of math and physics.

And if she does that and geeks out in their program, invest in a trip to Seattle to visit the campus. I'm not a gamer but I wanted to be after the visit.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 7:16 AM

I wouldn't.  

dd did a ton of soccer clinics at various colleges her freshman and sophmore years....and while they gave her a great idea of the school and some valuable soccer tips....they did nothing for potential recruitment.  The colleges were really only focused on juniors and seniors.

So...having your dd stop by a booth to say "hi" and ask questions....probably not worth the trip.  

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 8:03 AM

I would take the trip bcuz it would be mommy and dd time.  Like others have said, have fun and she may learn a lot.  Does she want to go? I know she got the invite but did she ask to go?

Msgme
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 8:50 AM
We started going to college fairs freshman year for maddy. Tori already has ideas on where she wants to go. I just want tori to keep a lot of options open. Maddy got stuck on one school and when that didn't happen she scrambled.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)