Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Fashion Advice

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

16yo dd has an ostomy. For those who don't know, she poops in a bag on her tummy.  She wears a band around her to keep it in place and not visible.

She is a bit overweight as it is, and this makes her look like she's got a big belly.  She's NOT fat.  She could stand to lose a few pounds.  That's it.  The belt makes it look like she's got a big belly.

She's very aware of it and self esteem is suffering.  Was wondering if any of you know where to shop for cute and fashionable clothes for those with a belly. 

by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's a matter of trial and error. What is her style sense?

Maybe look at layering, but with tailored pieces. Like blazers and a-line tops.

My bestfriends mom has an ostomy bag. She was fond of blazers and structured tops. She'd buy a size larger to accommodate her "hardware" as she puts it.

Jewelry is a good distraction too. Chunky necklaces, scarves and such.
MissAndree
by Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Torrid has really cute clothes for most body shapes

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Short girl problems... she loves scarves but they make her look bigger.  What's a structured top?  Not a fashion girl here, she loves fashion.

As far as her style, she loves whatever is trendy.  Blazers are not her thing, very girlie girl.  I'll look into chunky necklaces, but she tends to go for dainty.  Never know, she might like them.

Quoting heybooboo: I think it's a matter of trial and error. What is her style sense? Maybe look at layering, but with tailored pieces. Like blazers and a-line tops. My bestfriends mom has an ostomy bag. She was fond of blazers and structured tops. She'd buy a size larger to accommodate her "hardware" as she puts it. Jewelry is a good distraction too. Chunky necklaces, scarves and such.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I never heard of torrid before but their website has some cute stuff and there is one close to me!  Thanks!

Quoting MissAndree:

Torrid has really cute clothes for most body shapes

Sydel
by Group Admin on Oct. 28, 2016 at 11:15 AM

A lot of high low tops hide bellys. I woudl also go with layering.

iwashere
by on Oct. 28, 2016 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I work out every day, am short and I still have a middle aged belly hanging on for dear life. I do not wear anything square shaped, that makes me look bigger. I use body skimming shirts, that have some give in the belly area, they define my shape, but skim over my stomach. I wear skinny jeans with boots, I like to go all the same color, as it makes my legs look longer and slimmer. Draped blouses are awesome, I just bought one for $45 at Nordstrom that has a surplice front with a straight back. Very flattering. I want 20 more. Lol. 

V necks are better than round, boat necks are good too. Tunics work, but not huge ones. Body skimming. Go to the Nordstrom website, plug in the measurements, and they will show you outfit ideas suitable for her. You don't have to buy them, but it will give you a sense of what works.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I love Nordstroms!

This is a great idea, and i love the personal shopper in the store :)

I also like the idea of the high low tops, draped tops, they appear layered, the bottom layer is more fitting and the top layer a bit flows, they're very attractive and cover a bigger body size.

Quoting iwashere:

I work out every day, am short and I still have a middle aged belly hanging on for dear life. I do not wear anything square shaped, that makes me look bigger. I use body skimming shirts, that have some give in the belly area, they define my shape, but skim over my stomach. I wear skinny jeans with boots, I like to go all the same color, as it makes my legs look longer and slimmer. Draped blouses are awesome, I just bought one for $45 at Nordstrom that has a surplice front with a straight back. Very flattering. I want 20 more. Lol. 

V necks are better than round, boat necks are good too. Tunics work, but not huge ones. Body skimming. Go to the Nordstrom website, plug in the measurements, and they will show you outfit ideas suitable for her. You don't have to buy them, but it will give you a sense of what works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)