Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Representatives (OT)

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

I was told years ago that I am a representative of my dh's family. I have been asked to attend family events in place of my mother in law to represent their family.

Today I received a call form my aunt. There was a tragedy in AK and my aunt is at the hospital. My uncle asked my other aunt to call her dd who lives in AK to have her go to the hospital as a representative of our family name.

My uncle stated that my aunt was alone with just her ex's family and he wanted to make sure that there was someone to show support and advocate for her.

My aunt was on her way to work so I received the call asking to relay this request to my cousin who did not answer her phone when my uncle called.

Prayers to my aunt in AK. I reached out to my cousin who is heading to the hospital. But I sitting here thinking of how political it all seems. The wording. It wasn't have D go to the hospital because they are close or to even get our family an update. It was tell her she needs to go as a representative of the family name and that she speaks with the authority of your uncle.

It was like this back in November when my aunt L passed. My uncle called me stated that I was to go to the funeral home as a representative and speak with this authority.

How talks like that?? Apparently the people I'm related to.

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM
Never heard of such a thing, Lol.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 13, 2017 at 4:13 PM

I asked if we were in the mob!

Unfortuantely I'm done laughing. I got the details from AK. Will make another post.

Quoting atlmom2: Never heard of such a thing, Lol.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:08 PM

Yikes.  I'm hard headed enough to tell the uncle that he can go himself because he's not the boss of me.  I hope your aunt recovers quickly.

iwashere
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Are they all lawyers? Lol. 

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM

Interesting. I didn't quite follow it all. If it's at a hospital to speak for the family, don't they need a written legal authority? Like a durable power for healthcare? I'm listed for my parents but it sounds different than what you are describing. I know for a funeral home it wouldn't matter as long as you have their document requirements met. 

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 8:09 PM
prayers for your Aunt.. Representing the family. In our family it was handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. Lucky me there really isn't much family to have to "represent"..
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 16, 2017 at 9:32 AM

You are taking it too literal. There is no legality or responsiblity really. It's just the wording that my uncle/aunts uses and I've noticed my MIL use it as well. It sounds very political and legal but all they could be asking you to do is show up to a baby shower with a gift from the family. Or in my cousin's case show up at the hospital offer support and and prayers from the rest of the family.

As far as speaking for my uncle any monies or request for support we can agree too because he will foot the bill or take a collection to pay us back for whatever we extend.

Quoting Ziva65:

Interesting. I didn't quite follow it all. If it's at a hospital to speak for the family, don't they need a written legal authority? Like a durable power for healthcare? I'm listed for my parents but it sounds different than what you are describing. I know for a funeral home it wouldn't matter as long as you have their document requirements met. 

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 16, 2017 at 9:34 AM

My uncle is in Indiana. My aunt is in Arkansas. The cousin he was reaching out to is also in Arkansas. I'm in Ohio. I couldn't imagine getting an adittude about being asked to go to the hospital and offer assistance and support. This post was simply about me poking a little fun at the wording. Makes me almost feel like we are in the mob or something. 

My cousin ended up calling every single hospital to track my aunt down. She went down there and offered her home to my aunt and her children.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Yikes.  I'm hard headed enough to tell the uncle that he can go himself because he's not the boss of me.  I hope your aunt recovers quickly.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2017 at 9:46 AM

It is his sister, is she not?  

Quoting Sydel:

My uncle is in Indiana. My aunt is in Arkansas. The cousin he was reaching out to is also in Arkansas. I'm in Ohio. I couldn't imagine getting an adittude about being asked to go to the hospital and offer assistance and support. This post was simply about me poking a little fun at the wording. Makes me almost feel like we are in the mob or something. 

My cousin ended up calling every single hospital to track my aunt down. She went down there and offered her home to my aunt and her children.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 16, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Yes and he will likely be going to AK but my cousin lives there and was able to respond within an hour vs the day or two he will need to get things in order to go down.

When my aunt died and he called me to go pick up my aunt from the airport that was only an hour drive for me. I went. He is asking not demanding. If you are the type of person to say no to a resonable family request then that's you. It's just not something I could do.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

It is his sister, is she not?  

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)