• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self Defense Class

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Dd took the first of a series of self defense courses last night. I had been wanting to put her in one but we never seemed to have time. But her leadership class set it up for the girls. 5 weeks includes talks from officers, counselors, and hands on instruction with a local martial arts instructor.

I know I've asked before but it's been a while. 

How many of you have taken and/or had your teen take a self defense course?

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM

We keep trying to squeeze it in.

I'd love for dd to get some hands on experience....but it's the instructional portion I want for her most.  Things like don't park next to a van, park under a bright light....

They're so fearless at this age and just don't have the world view yet....I don't think their minds can even comprehend what COULD be lurking out there.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM
Sounds awesome. I never have and my girls have not.
pootersmomi
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM

We haven't.  Is yours thorugh the Y or Rec? Or is it through a private company?

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Our kids were in a mixed martial arts class for a few years.  One of the disciplines they learned is wing Chung, and it is fabulous as a self-defense tool.  The instructor offered classes that were strictly for girls/women and he incorporated a lot of self-preservation in addition to the self-defense.  DD responded really well to what he was teaching.

We talk frequently with the kids about making safe choices, make a plan when going out, etc.  Now that DD is driving, I give her extra money to utilize valet parking when we are not with her.  I would rather pay an extra $10 or $20 and avoid parking garages and lots.  She knows to park in well-lit public areas if valet is not available.  She is to have at least 2 people she communicates with, just in case.  

wakymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM

I have not had the boys take any self-defense classes. I would love to find a Mother/Daughter self-defense class for dd and I to take together, though.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Yup we've both done it. Probably good to do again before she goes off to college. A few years ago we organized it with a group of parents and had officers, a martial arts person and a few others. It was great
maam0609
by on Jan. 20, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Dad retired a few years ago from the police force. I went and trained with him a lot. We also "rough housed" from a young age to work on getting out of pins and such. He does this with my daughter, we talk about safety and surroundings and such. I dont think he will be able to really work with her when she is a teen, but I will find classes.
delyU
by on Feb. 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM

I have been practicing martial arts almost my entire life so far and I still do. I love it. :)

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2017 at 10:54 AM
The kids take karate and it's something the owner of their studio does. He and a few black belt ladies actually go to the women shelters and senior centers in area and do classes and he has bully program he does with the kids in his karate classes.

Every few months he does one for parents but I ways have conflict
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)