• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about hosting teens

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
So DS is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan (we live just outside of Philadelphia) and they're still in the playoffs. DS has. some friends who are Steelers fans and he wanted to have them over to watch the last two games. Fine! I bought popcorn, chips, pretzels, dips, guacamole and ordered pizzas. I put the chips and pretzels in my usual serving pieces and DS said I was being too fancy. When he goes to his friends' houses, they either serve themselves or the parents give them the bags to eat out of. I even bought Steelers plates, napkins and a tablecloth. DD on the other hand said everything looked nice.

I can't be the only one who does this. Anyone else? I don't care that it was only a group of teen boys (all 16), when you're a guest in my house, I want ecerything to be nice.

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iwashere
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My Ds says the same thing. He once accused me of trying to be Martha Stewart. I was shocked because I didn't know he even knew who she was and I am definately not Martha Stewart.

Boys are strange creatures. They don't things to be fancy - it makes them uncomfortable. If they could sit on the couch, burping and eating chips from a bag, they'd be cool with it. But i don't think there is anything wrong with it looking nice - just don't go overboard. I would not have done the tablecloth, but I would have done the napkins and plates. Of course I once bought cups for drinks wth little chalk things on them so you could label them and my DS was all over that as being overly fancy. Because ya know, Walmart carries the fanciest solo cups. LOL.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:08 PM
The tablecloth was a plastic Steelers one and I really got it so they wouldn't get food on my table (they were in the basement and the furniture down there is brand new). I have tablecloths on my kitchen and dining room tables too...just makes for easier cleanup, they're not fancy (I save those for holidays).

I love the Martha Stewart comment! I wish I had her DIY skills!

Quoting iwashere:

My Ds says the same thing. He once accused me of trying to be Martha Stewart. I was shocked because I didn't know he even knew who she was and I am definately not Martha Stewart.

Boys are strange creatures. They don't things to be fancy - it makes them uncomfortable. If they could sit on the couch, burping and eating chips from a bag, they'd be cool with it. But i don't think there is anything wrong with it looking nice - just don't go overboard. I would not have done the tablecloth, but I would have done the napkins and plates. Of course I once bought cups for drinks wth little chalk things on them so you could label them and my DS was all over that as being overly fancy. Because ya know, Walmart carries the fanciest solo cups. LOL.

wakymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys would love all the themed paper goods- although they would want Colts stuff. I don't think they would care what I put the food in to serve it, as long as it was ready to eat : )

balagan_imma
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids generally don't care if the food is out nicely if it's just snacks and pizza. They'll get the paper plates, cups, and plastic ware if it's needed. I just bake the treats.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I always put out plates and napkins even for a normal Friday night party when mine were in HS.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:13 PM
Quoting wakymom:

My boys would love all the themed paper goods- although they would want Colts stuff. I don't think they would care what I put the food in to serve it, as long as it was ready to eat : )

Thumbs up for the Colts.
NovemberMommy16
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have loved that!
RaeMarie
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:39 PM

Not only do I not go all out for dds friends, I make them do chores! If I am shlepping them around, feeding them and giving them money then they can take out the trash or load the dishwasher after their mess. I usually let dd pick out junk food and pop when we know kids will be over and will run out if it is unexpected. It is dds job to serve her friends and we frankly dont' care if they are going through the fridge and cupboards themselves. If we have it nad they want it they are welcome to it. 

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:59 PM
I knew I couldn't be the only one.

DD had a friend over too but was told to stay away from the boys. When they left, the girls went downstairs to get some snacks and there were barely crumbs left. The girls were disappointed as they sat there eating tiny pieces of chips and scraping the bottom of the dip and guacamole bowls. It was kind of funny. DS did help clean up and he thanked me over and over again.

Quoting RaeMarie:

Not only do I not go all out for dds friends, I make them do chores! If I am shlepping them around, feeding them and giving them money then they can take out the trash or load the dishwasher after their mess. I usually let dd pick out junk food and pop when we know kids will be over and will run out if it is unexpected. It is dds job to serve her friends and we frankly dont' care if they are going through the fridge and cupboards themselves. If we have it nad they want it they are welcome to it. 

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:00 PM
I wasn't going to get the tablecloth but DS wanted it and I was happy to protect my coffee table.

Quoting wakymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)