Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Second New York Trip

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM
  • 26 Replies

The gifted center has announced that this summer they are hosting an NYC trip. They are inviting all gifted students grades 6-9 to attend. Their itinerary is very different from the band trip. And they received a grant that is allowing the cost per student to be $250.

Dd wants to go, we can afford it. But it just seems like a bit much. She's going to NYC in April for 3 days. Then she'd go again in June for 4 days.

But $250 is sooo cheap! I've never been to NYC and the itinerary is different. Grrr I hate making decisions.

Would you let your kid go??

Band itineary involves visiting Time Square, Dinner Cruise, United Nations, watching Phantom on Broadway, Trump Tower, and Statue of Liberty and then performing either at Madison Square or Yankee Stadium. 

Gifted is going to Flight 93 Memorial, Statue of Liberty, Little Italy, Chinatown, Ground Zero, Central Park, Lower Harlem, Midtown.

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes I would. There is so much for them to experience and $250 is short money to do it.

balagan_imma
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:25 AM
I would let my kids do it in a heartbeat.
My oldest went in September for $40 and gas money. It was for a marker faire. But his college paid for the bulk of it. They paid for their booth at the faire as well.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:32 AM

I just talked to my FIL. He is willing to pay $100 and my brother already offered to put $50 towards it. No it's only $100 out of pocket!!!! No reason for her NOT to go. That's like one trip to Target for me. I can sacrafice that. LOL

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Yes I would. There is so much for them to experience and $250 is short money to do it.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Awesome she is going to be so excited and thankful. Hey dont forget she probably needs a New Wardrobe and $500 spending money to go  !   ;)

Quoting Sydel:

I just talked to my FIL. He is willing to pay $100 and my brother already offered to put $50 towards it. No it's only $100 out of pocket!!!! No reason for her NOT to go. That's like one trip to Target for me. I can sacrafice that. LOL

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Hush your dirty mouth! Spending money YES. New wardrobe is pushing it. I'm probably going to buy her clothes for easter as she asked for those colored jeggings too late for Christmas.

She goes first in April. She already has new outfits to wear to Phantom and the dinner cruise.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Awesome she is going to be so excited and thankful. Hey dont forget she probably needs a New Wardrobe and $500 spending money to go  !   ;)

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM
😳. girls never wear the same outfit mommy ESP on a trip ! Bwahaha

Quoting Sydel:

Hush your dirty mouth! Spending money YES. New wardrobe is pushing it. I'm probably going to buy her clothes for easter as she asked for those colored jeggings too late for Christmas.

She goes first in April. She already has new outfits to wear to Phantom and the dinner cruise.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine is about too! LOL

The second trip. Which I just confirmed is for gifted students interested in or participating in Model UN will be more casual. Doesn't seem they are going anywhere that will require them to dress up. I had planned on buying her a peplum interview dress in general to have. But the rest should be casual.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: 😳. girls never wear the same outfit mommy ESP on a trip ! Bwahaha
Quoting Sydel:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM

I'd send dd.  $250 is cheap to do all that.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM
Yeah sure sounds like fun. I recently started letting Tori go to the city with friends so she's there at least once a week lol. Probably spends about the same lol.

Besides April is our rainy month June will be better. Will they get any free time. I was reading another post a few days ago from some mom about kids going to NYC and pretty much just getting g free reign to do what they want.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:51 PM

With the band trip since it's all high schoolers they will be allowed to go out in groups at Time Square. But with the second one it doesn't sound like it. They are taking grades 6-9 which is actually 7-10 since the school year will be finished. I think since they have younger kids they will keep a closer eye on them.

I had to giggle because when band stated they are staying in Jersey a few of the gifted parents said that was out of the way yet the gifted trip will be lodging in Jersey as well. I knew they were planning this trip but I was not aware they were going to include the older kids.

I was told that since the school goes from grades 3-6 and several parents were scared to send younger kids they had to include the older kids to get the grant and board approval.

Quoting Msgme: Yeah sure sounds like fun. I recently started letting Tori go to the city with friends so she's there at least once a week lol. Probably spends about the same lol. Besides April is our rainy month June will be better. Will they get any free time. I was reading another post a few days ago from some mom about kids going to NYC and pretty much just getting g free reign to do what they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)