Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prom Comittee

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

I swear this girl is just like her mom and always into something. 

Yesterday I had to run dd food to the wresting meet because immediately after school she had jazz band and from jazz band she went to the home meet.

I'm 5ft nothing and could not find her in the crowd. The twins (6ft beautiful amazons) who are juniors came up to me and asked if I was looking for her and helped me find her. Before I walked off they said to tell dd that they voted for her theme. Um... Okay

I dropped dd's food but couldn't talk as she was doing stats.

A few hours after the meet I remembered the twins message and asked her what theme they were talking about. Apparently dd has joined the prom committee. I asked her how that was possible she's a freshman. She technically can't even go to prom.

Apparently her Latin teacher is the advisor. Last year was his first year and it was overwhelming. He let the kids go through the books and pick a theme which lead to too many choices and arguments. So this year he is giving them 3 choices where he has everything picked out and packaged. They are going to vote on a theme and which ever one wins he will purchase all corresponding decor.

So I find out dd and a few juniors and seniors that are in her Latin III class have been narrowing down the options for the final vote. Dd was included because the other kids like her and think she's creative.

So now her suggested theme (Masquerade Ball) is in the top 2.

I asked her what will happen if she and the boy break up before prom??? She gave me the look of death. LOL

Also she informed me she wants another dress with sleeves. What's up with this sleeve thing??

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotspice58
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Not sure but good for her for wanting to join things.  My 2 youngest hit the teen years and wanted to do nothing.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:52 AM

I just had to laugh because my dad is always sayign that I get my hands into everything and try to take over. .. And he's right. So when I see her do the same I can't help but laugh. She's dropped a lot of stuff. But she's picked up stuff too. This has been a busy week for her.

Quoting hotspice58:

Not sure but good for her for wanting to join things.  My 2 youngest hit the teen years and wanted to do nothing.

RaeMarie
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My kid is one who would love to be on the committee but would not actually go to the dance. LOL Good for your dd for getting out there and getting involved! That is great!

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM

When I was in high school our class vice president NEVER went to dances. She was part of every committee and would go set up. But leave before it started. Attendance isn't required. If dd breaks up with her beau there is no way she's going. But I don't see that happening.

Quoting RaeMarie:

My kid is one who would love to be on the committee but would not actually go to the dance. LOL Good for your dd for getting out there and getting involved! That is great!

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:42 PM

How fun! My oldest was in leadership and always part of planning those things. My others want nothing to do with it, except go in a limo with a group of friends. now that they are 18 they will not be locked in lol. 

I have no idea what the sleeve deal is about though. I do know we are going dress shopping this weekend for "turn about". the big thing they do here too is just swap dresses. Like girls will just have closets full of dresses and share them, its' funny. I've seen it now for prom, and homecoming too. It's nice that they don't always feel this need to spend a ton of money on these things. I think theough since it's her senior year, we will go all out probably Nordstroms- if we are going shopping, might as well really do it right LOL

My daughter and a few other girls are going together, so much for "turn about". It's fine, that was their pact since Freshman year, they decided most boys were dweebs. I have boys too and I love them, but I'd agree with her.

awbredux
by Allie on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes when my husband and I are feeling overextended running around getting our daughters to all their activities, we remind ourselves it's totally worth it.  They just don't have time to get into trouble!  

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My friends and I shared dresses all thorugh high school. My junior prom dress was my friend's sophmore homecoming dress.

She has an entire pinterest board of long sleeve dresses. She had one special made for homecoming. But she paid for it and it was only $80-90 from China. I was surprised it turned out as nice as it did.

She said she may order another one from the same company when she gets her tax return. There will be no limo for dd this year. She and her boyfriend have already talked. She is actually attending a workshop at Ashland University the day of prom. She won't make it home until 5ish.

So she will have to shower, get ready, do a quick dinner, and then pictures. She wants my FIL to drive them as the venue is inside Cedar Point and it's a good walk. My FIL is a regional manager with access to drive right into the park and up to the venue.

Quoting Ziva65:

How fun! My oldest was in leadership and always part of planning those things. My others want nothing to do with it, except go in a limo with a group of friends. now that they are 18 they will not be locked in lol. 

I have no idea what the sleeve deal is about though. I do know we are going dress shopping this weekend for "turn about". the big thing they do here too is just swap dresses. Like girls will just have closets full of dresses and share them, its' funny. I've seen it now for prom, and homecoming too. It's nice that they don't always feel this need to spend a ton of money on these things. I think theough since it's her senior year, we will go all out probably Nordstroms- if we are going shopping, might as well really do it right LOL

My daughter and a few other girls are going together, so much for "turn about". It's fine, that was their pact since Freshman year, they decided most boys were dweebs. I have boys too and I love them, but I'd agree with her.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean. But now that dd is in high school my running seems to have diminished greatly. Almost everything is at the school building or transportation is provided. Then she has gotten into the habit of walking to my in-laws which is less than a block away from the school.So there are days I don't even pick her up or see her until after 8 pm. And by then my MIL has already fed her. Not gonna lie it's been nice.

Her boyfriend stays busy as well. He works 35-40 hours a week. Every weekened he's at McDonalds for 10-12 hours on Sat and Sunday. Then he's in art club, has an internship, and goes to PT with his sergent and other recruits once a week.

Quoting awbredux:

Sometimes when my husband and I are feeling overextended running around getting our daughters to all their activities, we remind ourselves it's totally worth it.  They just don't have time to get into trouble!  

awbredux
by Allie on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM

It's good they are both busy.  

Quoting Sydel:

I know what you mean. But now that dd is in high school my running seems to have diminished greatly. Almost everything is at the school building or transportation is provided. Then she has gotten into the habit of walking to my in-laws which is less than a block away from the school.So there are days I don't even pick her up or see her until after 8 pm. And by then my MIL has already fed her. Not gonna lie it's been nice.

Her boyfriend stays busy as well. He works 35-40 hours a week. Every weekened he's at McDonalds for 10-12 hours on Sat and Sunday. Then he's in art club, has an internship, and goes to PT with his sergent and other recruits once a week.

Quoting awbredux:

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes it's totally worth it. It's our last year of doing this, I'll admit I'm tired :)

Quoting awbredux:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)