• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I Being Really Judgey Or Is This Not Cool?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM
  • 23 Replies

I received a private message from the PTO president of the gifted center.

The message started with her telling me about their upcoming fundraisers then turned into her cussing out her ex husband over him having to work as a DJ the day of their daughter's graduation. Then jumped back into her asking if I could advertise the fundraisers on the middle school page.

I didn't want to address her oops so I simply replied that I would advertise if she sends me pictures of the flyers and details.

The kids are selling Dominos Cards and gift cards to a local flower shop. She asked that I put that interested buyers contact a kid from the gifted center.

I asked if stopping in at the office of the gifted center was an option as I personally would like to support and don't know any of the gifted kids anymore. I also suggested that other people who work and aren't familiar with the kids may feel more comfortable stopping at the board of the gifted center office as well.

The lady totally got bitchy and said NO. She stated they are trying to teach the kids to work for what they want and said to post her email and that she would send a child to any interested parties. 

Ummm... WTF as a parent I would not want someone telling me that I have to drive and meet up with a stranger to sell them a fundraiser card.  As an adult I wouldn't want to meet up with a kid when I can just stop off at the center on my lunch break.

Am I being difficult or is she? I get what she's saying by wanting the kids to sell. But you have to make the option to purchase easy for your patrons. No one wants to jump through hoops.  It almost makes sense to have the cards at Dominos and the flower shop and let people buy them there in addition to the office or board of education.

I did not say this to her nor did I get snotty like I wanted. I simply said that I would post her email and state that the cards can be purchased by a student of the center or to email her.

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vettechmom88
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm with you, and she absolutely will not sell nearly as many cards doing it her way. I probably wouldn't even bother once I realized the trouble I'd have to go to in order to get one, I'm sure other people will feel the same. She's not thinking very clearly from a business perspective.
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

She is making it a lot harder than it needs to be.

For DS' scout troop, they have both the scouts working the fundraiser and easy access via online for those who don't personally know any of the scouts.  

Right now they have a pine straw fundraiser going, you can order from a scout or go online and order directly.  At least 40% of the orders are coming from online.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM

I agree with you!!!!

superbutt
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:33 AM
you are right
Sydel
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:55 AM

I posted what she asked. Not my fundraiser to get into an arguement about. I did however create an event page for their frozen yogurt fundraiser that is this Friday. As oppose to posting the crappy photo of the flyer. The flyer is not needed for them to get credit.

From experience more peopel respond to event pages than a one time posted picture.

Quoting vettechmom88: I'm with you, and she absolutely will not sell nearly as many cards doing it her way. I probably wouldn't even bother once I realized the trouble I'd have to go to in order to get one, I'm sure other people will feel the same. She's not thinking very clearly from a business perspective.

iwashere
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

That's crazy and inconvenient. In order to sell something to a customer, you have to make it convenient to them. We are opening a new business this year and I've been networking with tons of people already in the industry. One thing that I learned from every single person is the concept that if you throw one stumbling block up in front of a customer, whether it's making them get out of their car on a cold morning or not having a clear way to get to your establishment (like a left turn lane or a cross walk), you lose that person. 

Shes creating several stumbling blocks. First, a person has to email her. Then the person has to arrange time to meet with a student. Anything can happen in these two areas, the email could be lost, the person could be distracted and forget to send the email, etc. then you have a meeting which honestly is probably not the most important thing that person is doing that day. It can be canceled for literally any reason which is either more convenient to the person at the time or more important.

its much better when a customer is in the area to have them just stop by. Less reasons to say no or change their minds.

so cool I got to use my new knowledge! Lol.

Maime13
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Great insight!! Mind sharing what business you are starting?

Also, perhaps kids could station themselves outside the school at the end of the school day? If it's been advertised that they can purchase at pick up time, then they have an easy opportunity to purchase on the go. 

Quoting iwashere:

That's crazy and inconvenient. In order to sell something to a customer, you have to make it convenient to them. We are opening a new business this year and I've been networking with tons of people already in the industry. One thing that I learned from every single person is the concept that if you throw one stumbling block up in front of a customer, whether it's making them get out of their car on a cold morning or not having a clear way to get to your establishment (like a left turn lane or a cross walk), you lose that person. 

Shes creating several stumbling blocks. First, a person has to email her. Then the person has to arrange time to meet with a student. Anything can happen in these two areas, the email could be lost, the person could be distracted and forget to send the email, etc. then you have a meeting which honestly is probably not the most important thing that person is doing that day. It can be canceled for literally any reason which is either more convenient to the person at the time or more important.

its much better when a customer is in the area to have them just stop by. Less reasons to say no or change their minds.

iwashere
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Franchise sandwich shop. I'm actually quite excited. We are hoping to open in 4 -6 months. I have so much to learn between now and then. 

Quoting Maime13:

Great insight!! Mind sharing what business you are starting?Also, perhaps kids could station themselves outside the school at the end of the school day? If it's been advertised that they can purchase at pick up time, then they have an easy opportunity to purchase on the go. 

Quoting iwashere:

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM

She is totally off the charts crazy.  If my kid was at the middle school gifted center I would not be ok with her selling anything to strangers.  There are safety issues here that she is completely ignoring.  I would be complaining to the principal of the center about it too.  Your suggestion is very reasonable.  And if the center wants to set up a table outside the school where the cards are sold right before and right after school so a teacher or parent can chaparone, that would be ok, weather permitting. 

And if she wants to raise as much money as possible, then she needs to make it as easy as possible for people to get the gift cards.  

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM
What grades are we talking??? I know where i am any fundraiser that comes home for K-8 specifically state they do not encourage door to door stranger sales. It's usually right on paperwork. It's a liability to the school and the fundraising place if heaven forbid something happen. Even youth sports and Girl Scouts that encourage canning or selling at stores a parent must be present. You need permission of a store to set up shop and they won't give it to kids without an adult
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)