Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kinda Impressed

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM
  • 6 Replies

Normally dd school has advisory (homeroom) on Mon and Thur each week. This week they have it every day so that the advisory teachers can help prepare Jrs and Srs for the ACT or SAT (not sure which). When I was in school they had nothing to do with either test other than make it known you could get information in the guidance office. 

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:10 PM

We have a semester class that is ACT prep and also note taking skills and other things.  DD took it.   Also have a 6 week class you can pay for on Saturdays at school that is 2 hours each Saturday.  We paid for private prep for dd.  Many do in our area.  We all used the same company.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Our school offers a bevy of SAT/ACT prep services...everything your parent heart could desire.  lol

Dd has been seeing a private tutor about once a week since last spring...when her PSAT scores came back less than optimal.  It's pricey but super flexible...the only thing we could do that would fit into her schedule.... sometimes they meet during school, sometimes after, sometimes on the weekend.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM

I thought your kid was suspended. Was that only for a day or two?

My dd is a freshman. They do a daily question in 3 of her classes but that's it for now.

RaeMarie
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM

She goes back tomorrow actually. However, she isn't really missing much because today is a virtual school day for her so she is still schooling. She can work on her virtual class anytime and any day and there is not attendance taken. I know about the test prep because I got a reminder email from the school about it. All the parents did. Next week there is a day that only Jrs go and it is an all day prep. Other HS grades have the day off. 

Quoting Sydel:

I thought your kid was suspended. Was that only for a day or two?

My dd is a freshman. They do a daily question in 3 of her classes but that's it for now.

RaeMarie
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM

The schools I went to as well as the public school dd should have gone to in IN don't use time in the school day to help prep the kids. There are resources you can inquire about in the guidance office but that is as far as it goes.

butzi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM
My kids have not done test prep, nor did their school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)