Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off topic: cupcakes/ cakes

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM
  • 36 Replies
Let's talk prices. What do you think is a fair price for great cupcakes? Gourmet cupcakes? Custom cupcakes?

What you pay per piece? Per dozen?

What do you expect to pay for cake?
by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM
I don't, I bake my own, or outsource to my pastry chef daughter.
YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Okay, so think of it from the other end-- if you or your daughter were selling how would you price them?

Quoting cybcm: I don't, I bake my own, or outsource to my pastry chef daughter.
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:45 AM
So here there are these cupcake dessert bars, that offer fancy specialty cupcakes. They run about $3-4 each if you buy a dozen at a time (otherwise the're higher) Cupcakes here are quite popular esp since some local ladies won the cupcake wars.

Not sure what the grocery store runs at. Haven't bought cupcakes there in years.

My daughter makes gourmet cupcakes, has since about sixth grade. She usually makes those unless she doesn't have time then we get the gourmet dessert bar ones.

We don't do much on party cakes, but if it's for my family or parents we usually get Tortes from a German deli, they're $60-120.
cybcm
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 4:44 AM
That would depend on who we are selling them to 😜

Cupcakes have way too many variables to give a ballpark amount, size, quantity, flavour/ingredients.

Quoting YuppyMom: Okay, so think of it from the other end-- if you or your daughter were selling how would you price them?

Quoting cybcm: I don't, I bake my own, or outsource to my pastry chef daughter.
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 6:33 AM
Really depends on where you are getting it from and how many people you are serving,

When we get cakes for work they can run $25-100 depending on how many we need to feed and if we pick up or have it delivered. When I go family birthday cakes will run around $20-40. For both work and home sometimes we go bakery sometime we do grocery store.

Cupcakes can vary widely. We have speciality bakeries that just do cupcakes and charge more. Traditional balerues tend to do basic cupcakes which are smaller and cost less. The speciality shops tend to be in pickier be neighborhood where they can get $5-8 for a cupcake. Your traditional bakery will charge based off what they know their customer base will buy them at which can vary town to town.
pdxmum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM
4 moms liked this
You don't respect any woman here enough to care about their opinions on pricing for your wildly successful home baking business.

I'm trying to figure out how this will become a brag post...
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 8:32 AM

My friend's bakery the price ranges anywhere from $3 to $8 per cupcake, with a 15% discount per dozen.

Her cakes start at $2.50 a slice and increase from there.   

hip2it
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM
I just ordered for my one year old's birthday. The cake was 6" and three layers, $60. The cupcakes were $44 per dozen bc they were filled cupcakes. I use one specific bakery for all of my cake needs.
iwashere
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 11:06 AM

What you charge is only part of the equation. The first question would be why you are asking. Have you sales fallen? Have they increased? Are you expanding? Are you looking to change locations or sales model? Also, the cost of making your cupcakes is an important component here. What are your food costs? What are your other fixed and variable costs? 

It is ridiculous to ask people from all over the world what you should charge for cupcakes in your little corner. Cost of living varies widely and the price that may be bearable in your market may not be bearable in mine. The price of your food is a complex issue best not solved by random people on the internet.

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 11:17 AM
Our sales have increased. We are considering raising prices as we get into market and tourist season. Our costs have remained steady.

We are putting out a high quality product. Consistently told we are better than Sprinkles, Magnolias, Georgetown, and other name bakeries.

I find it interesting to see what people consider reasonable or too much regardless of locale. I have also found most quality places have similar costs regardless of locale....

Quoting iwashere:

What you charge is only part of the equation. The first question would be why you are asking. Have you sales fallen? Have they increased? Are you expanding? Are you looking to change locations or sales model? Also, the cost of making your cupcakes is an important component here. What are your food costs? What are your other fixed and variable costs? 

It is ridiculous to ask people from all over the world what you should charge for cupcakes in your little corner. Cost of living varies widely and the price that may be bearable in your market may not be bearable in mine. The price of your food is a complex issue best not solved by random people on the internet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN