Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's official he passed

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM
  • 19 Replies
6 moms liked this
It's been a long middle school journey with my oldest. He's sped and been on an iep since 2nd grade. Some years have been better then others. Our biggest hurdle these last few years is organization and turning in work. This year he was motivated after visiting the high school and for the most part after first quarter he was doing good turning things in. He slipped a little with finals. His iep allows for extra time and taking the test in sped room but this year he was given a choice and he hates feeling different so he choose to stay in class. He tested pretty good throughout the year doing this but don't know for it's summeritus combine with last year at this school or the testing environment or both but he didn't test well on the finals but grades posted this weekend and he passed!!!

So tomorrow night after 9 years at the school we will watching him graduate. I'm just a tad emotional. It's been a journey. Some good some bad but he's not the little anxious boy I dropped off to kindergarten all those years ago in tears (both of us ....I was 9 months pregnant at the time so didn't help)

He's excited and I hope high school lives up to his expectations and we can figure out the iep accommodations so he doesn't feel too different. Oh and what are the chances he will stop growing?!?!
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations! You must be so proud of him . I admire him for not wanting to test elsewhere and not giving up !
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations!!! You did an awesome job getting him to this point!!! On to high school!!!!
romalove
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!  Oh, get used to emotional, lol, there's always another milestone and even now when my daughter is "between" milestones (we are facing college graduation next May) I get weepy over the others having milestones, and remember when my own kids were there.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:13 AM
Congrats. My son struggled in middle school. Things got a bit better in 8th grade because he wanted to go to highschool. He never got to graduate 8th grade tho. Requirements here are to pass the 4 core subjects and pass the math and reading state tests.he did both but they didn't grade the tests in time so they used a practice he took in the beginning of the year and kept him from walking. There were over 800 8th graders that year unable to walk at graduation. But turned out he did pass and he was handed his diploma a few weeks later. He graduated highschool last June. High school was so much better for him.
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww, you both did it! I know it's stressful and emotional for us that's ok. Best wishes to your son!
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:58 AM
His finals kind of prove he needs the accommodations though. He actually failed his science final but he had an A going into the final. He did good on his science midterm but in math he hadn't gotten anything under a 90 on test but a 75 on midterm and 76 on final. I think in those subjects he can do fine when it's a little knowledge and maybe the accommodations won't make a difference but it's something to discuss with his team next year.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Congratulations! You must be so proud of him . I admire him for not wanting to test elsewhere and not giving up !
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I got a lot going on in my professional life too. I will be leaving a company I've worked 17 years at sometime in next 2 to 4 months. Lots of ends and beginnings and this isn't helping

Quoting romalove:

Congratulations!  Oh, get used to emotional, lol, there's always another milestone and even now when my daughter is "between" milestones (we are facing college graduation next May) I get weepy over the others having milestones, and remember when my own kids were there.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Ah that stinks. The ended finals a week before school gets out and closed grades Friday but pretty much everything is done on computer now so grading is easier since most finals were multiple choice.

I'm not sure if they actually get walk. Don't really know what to expect tomorrow but we only have k-8 schools and they don't do any recognition except kindergarten and 8th grade so it's been since June 2009 that we had any formal school thing for him.

Quoting Msgme: Congrats. My son struggled in middle school. Things got a bit better in 8th grade because he wanted to go to highschool. He never got to graduate 8th grade tho. Requirements here are to pass the 4 core subjects and pass the math and reading state tests.he did both but they didn't grade the tests in time so they used a practice he took in the beginning of the year and kept him from walking. There were over 800 8th graders that year unable to walk at graduation. But turned out he did pass and he was handed his diploma a few weeks later. He graduated highschool last June. High school was so much better for him.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:09 AM
So my parents are looking for something special to get him. Sometimes I think they fear they won't be ateiubd for high school or college graduations so they go big on little things. Anyway I'm pricing something for them and thinking hey I deserve to treat myself too.

Now im wishing I planned ahead cause I'd so be sporting a I survived parenting a middle schooler shirt tomorrow night

Quoting Ziva65: Aww, you both did it! I know it's stressful and emotional for us that's ok. Best wishes to your son!
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Yay for him. Does the school do a graduation? I have noticed that some districts treat the middle to high school transition as a big deal. While others like ours don't really acknowledge it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)