Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NYC Part Deux

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:11 AM
  • 9 Replies

DD left for her second NYC trip this morning. She packed her own bag at 1 am. I peeked in it this morning and was not impressed. Long sleeve tops and sweaters! It's going to be in the mid 80's all week. 

I hope she had some shorts at the bottom of the bag. If not this is going to be an uncomfortable life lesson. LOL 

They passed out a revised itinerary this morning and I have to say I am NOT impressed. DH was actually upset. They cut the trip by a day and removed a few of the stops. They kids will be having dinner EVERY night at the hotel so they can work on educational packets! 

I should have known this damn gifted school had to be douchey and include homework on a summer trip. The principal said she believed the kids would enjoy the packets because as "gifted" learners most like to reflect, review, and challenge themselves on what they have learned.... 

This is eye roll worthy but nothing to bish about. I only paid $250 for this 4 day trip. That includes transportation, hotel, and all meals. I told dh if they want her to do a packet her behind can do the packet. LOL  

He was more upset that they cut a day than the packet but I reminded him we were only out of pocket $250 and he got over it. Some parents made scenes. Because well... as we have all agreed I live in a freakshow of a town of helicopter parents and pettiness. 

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zebra556
by Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Kids are kids IMO. When Summer hits, they are not really into educational as much as the principal thinks.
That packet so they can reflect, review, and challenge themselves to me is the school's way of keeping the kids busy in the evening.

As far as what your DD packed, I also looked at what mine packed. The camp said casual clothing. I removed a few items that were not casual and the long sleeve items. I did this mostly because I didn't want to pay a charge for over weight baggage. Also being gone for two weeks, she was a little light in the undergarment department. But I bet she packed two pairs of sunglasses.
MamaJess9
by Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM
Changing itinerary the morning they left would piss me off too.

And dinner at the hotel every night just sucks. I don't care how intellectual these kids are, I'm sure 90% of them would rather go out and eat awesome food in NYC than sit in the hotel and reflect on their educational experiences.

I would have a very hard time not going through and editing my DD's packing, but they have to learn to do it in their own sometime. Like you said, she will learn her lesson!
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so proud of you for not editing her packing....she'll learn.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Sounds like a fun trip to me.

She should enjoy it.

pdxmum
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:51 PM

if it was only $250, who is paying the balance?

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:16 PM

Two grants, genours donors/business sponsors, and fundraising. 

Quoting pdxmum:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:21 PM

She's no longer in the gifted center but is still part of the program. I was not a fan of the superior adittude a lot of the parents and some teachers carried. They love throwing the word gifted around. They are very competitive. 

I made a post a few years ago about how I helped plan the fall harvest when dd was in 6th grade. The kids wanted a dance. Instead a specific mom and teacher insisted on hosting mental game stations. EVERYTHING at this party had to be educational because they feel that gifted kids WANT that not a dance. The compromise was 30 minutes of music. The kids had a blast. 4 years later and they have now upped it to a full hour of music at the end and that's when most kids show up. LOL

Quoting MamaJess9: Changing itinerary the morning they left would piss me off too. And dinner at the hotel every night just sucks. I don't care how intellectual these kids are, I'm sure 90% of them would rather go out and eat awesome food in NYC than sit in the hotel and reflect on their educational experiences. I would have a very hard time not going through and editing my DD's packing, but they have to learn to do it in their own sometime. Like you said, she will learn her lesson!

pdxmum
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM
So assuming education grants through school? Shouldn't there be an education component?

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting pdxmum:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:45 PM
Quoting pdxmum: So assuming education grants through school? Shouldn't there be an education component?
Quoting Sydel:

Quoting pdxmum:

We used the same grants for the DC trip. The packets that these kids were given are overkill and not required. They ask that the kids go to educational and cultural stops and that  a group from the trip present at a luncheon on what they learned and how it impacted their life.  Both grants are from local community non-profit organizations. 12 pages a day for 4 days basically asking them to memorize facts is not required. 

But as I said for $250 my kid is going to do whatever is asked. However the principal should have been up front about these packets. We just learned about them this morning when they passed up new itineraries. 

The principal has already demanded more than what is required for this trip so these packets were just the icing on the ridiculous cake. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)