Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appropriate Heel size for 12 year old girl?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

I needed to take my kids out shopping for new shoes and school clothes this weekend. My daughter refused to look at any shoes because I refuse to let her wear anything bigger than 2" heels (which is so hard to find these days). She's going into the 7th grade of Middle school, she will have to change for PE and has stairs to walk up and down. Love her to death but no way is she going in anything above 2".

by on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't let my daughter wear heels to school unless it was a special occasion and then nothing over 2".  I don't wear heels any higher myself.  Those 3-5" heel shoes are uncomfortable and horrible for your feet and back.  

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:05 AM

2" is plenty high. How about boots instead of shoes ?

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM

I love heels.  So I'm totally PRO heel.  

The rule we have always had is that you have to be able to walk in them.  And I'm not talking that toe stepping bullshit that some women do cause they can't walk in the pair they bought.  I'm talking WALK.  STRUT.  Hell...do the mamba.

So that's been a naturally limiting factor as the years have progressed.  It's the rare 12 yo that can strut in a pair of 4 inch heels.

DD has been wearing heels for years under this premise and not only recognizes how dumb some people look in heels when they can't walk in them BUT recognizes when she can't walk in them well enough.  "they're sooooo cute...why did they feel the need to make them 4 inches".

LuvHugs429
by Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Thats what I said to her. We wear the same size so she is always borrowing my shoes. I would let her wear my boots, I want to get other shoes for her but she refuses those cute flats you can get for $5 in every color LOL

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

2" is plenty high. How about boots instead of shoes ?

LuvHugs429
by Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM

That won't help me. My daughter has tried on 6 inch heels at shoe stores for fun when she was 10 and strutted her stuff with no issues whatsoever LOL  She can walk in them but no ways would I let her buy them.

Quoting chicken13:

I love heels.  So I'm totally PRO heel.  

The rule we have always had is that you have to be able to walk in them.  And I'm not talking that toe stepping bullshit that some women do cause they can't walk in the pair they bought.  I'm talking WALK.  STRUT.  Hell...do the mamba.

So that's been a naturally limiting factor as the years have progressed.  It's the rare 12 yo that can strut in a pair of 4 inch heels.

DD has been wearing heels for years under this premise and not only recognizes how dumb some people look in heels when they can't walk in them BUT recognizes when she can't walk in them well enough.  "they're sooooo cute...why did they feel the need to make them 4 inches".

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Our rule has always been that DD needs to pony up and pay for things like heels, makeup, etc on her own.

I supply the more reasonable stuff.

She has worn heels to school on occasion, but even she will acknowledge that her school is not a reasonable environment for heels.

Middle school was a non-issue, she had to wear a uniform then.  She is a senior now.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I saw 2 inches top.  

My dd's were always smart and have never ever worn a heel higher than 2 inches.  It ruins feet wearing heels.  I am like them.  I wore 1 inch heels to my dd's reception the other day.  That was enough for me.  I wore flats to her wedding in June.  

Sydel
by Group Admin on Aug. 14, 2017 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine wore a lot of wedges when she started 7th grade. But after falling a few times going UP stairs she switched to chucks.  I would let her get a cheap pair from goodwill and let her struggle with them. If she's smart she will abandon them. I imagine other kids will say something to her as well. 

LuvHugs429
by Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 2:51 PM

She is one child you do not want to get hurt!! She LOVES going to the school nurse, she is a hypochondriact which she got from my MIL. After spending 48 hrs with my MIL once she was not allowed EVER AGAIN. LOL

I really want her to make friends in Middle school since she struggled so hard to make friends at her Charter School :(

Quoting Sydel:

Mine wore a lot of wedges when she started 7th grade. But after falling a few times going UP stairs she switched to chucks.  I would let her get a cheap pair from goodwill and let her struggle with them. If she's smart she will abandon them. I imagine other kids will say something to her as well. 

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
2 inches is reasonable.

At their 8th grade graduation two girls tripped badly wearing super high heels. They looked ridiculous and people were laughing as they walked because they obviously didn't know how to walk in them. (Of course they didn't laugh once the girls tripped) but we were all thinking the same thing. That's bad enough, I can't imagine at school, up and down stairs, etc.

Our high school campus was huge, but no stairs. They had 5 min between classes and sometimes had to sprint to get there. She only wore flats, tennis shoes or flat sandles. (Flip flops is actually the big thing here year round)

As for her refusing to look at any that aren't within your parameters... well, I'd not buy her any then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)