Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dd got a job

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 5:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

On her very own...I'm kinda really proud of this totally normal first step.  LOL

She got a hostess position at a new upscale restaurant that's opening.  Go kiddo!!!!

by on Aug. 15, 2017 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cybcm
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Congratulations!
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Woo hoo!!!  Congrats to her!!!

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM

yay!!

Just interesting story. My two cousins were given the same amount of money to go to college. My female cousin took the money, paid for her tuition and room and board, graduated, got a normal job and has been working ever since.

My male cousin took the money, invested it, and then worked at an upscale restaurant as a server while he went to college. Instead, he paid his own way through. He made good money working there, and went to an expensive private university. Anyway, he never worked after he graduated college because his investments paid off. 

Just interesting. I love telling my kids that story... people can do very well working in an upscale restaurant :) Kudos to your daughter!

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Saving and investing is always the way to go!!!  We preach it big time in this house!!!!

Quoting Ziva65:

yay!!

Just interesting story. My two cousins were given the same amount of money to go to college. My female cousin took the money, paid for her tuition and room and board, graduated, got a normal job and has been working ever since.

My male cousin took the money, invested it, and then worked at an upscale restaurant as a server while he went to college. Instead, he paid his own way through. He made good money working there, and went to an expensive private university. Anyway, he never worked after he graduated college because his investments paid off. 

Just interesting. I love telling my kids that story... people can do very well working in an upscale restaurant :) Kudos to your daughter!

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Awesome

I had never pushed my kids to work when in high school.

My daughter never did because it would have been impossible with her schedule. She literally had no window of time for a job in high school with activities, rehearsals, shows, auditions. At college, while still busy as hell she took on a position in the theater department that had a flexible schedule. Now she is an RA which is also a paid position. This summer she had two jobs---. One as a barista at a Pattiserie and the other as a camp counselor. She also did some house sitting for her old chorale director.

My son had gotten a job at an upscale, Relais and Chateau establishment in town a bit over a year ago and started as a busboy. The executive chef took a shine to him and started teaching to prep food and he worked full time his senior year. He became a junior chef and acquired mad culinary skills. His college roomies are in for a treat. As a result of the connections he made he is working for a well known chef who owns one of the restaurants that has won best restaurant in boston. He starts there his first week in Boston! His boss has been on the food Network a bunch.

Working can be a great thing for them.
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM
Congratulations!
iwashere
by on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Congrats to her!!! It's always nice when they make those steps into adulthood :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)