Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Defiant, dishonest 13 year old daughter.

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2017 at 3:30 PM
  • 36 Replies

I have an extremely bright, intelligent, creative and clever daughter. The is an honor roll student, in AVID, runs track, cross country, plays basketball, soccer and loves church.

Suddenly, she is throwing her assignment in the trash on her way out of the classroom . Not completing her assignments, telling the teachers to their faces that she is not going to take her exam until the move her desk back. ( I had all of her teachers move her desk nest to hers since she was acting out and they could watch her. She tells me one thing and her teachers another. I have had daily communication with each of her teachers as well as her principle.  Nothing we are doing is working. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I called a boot camp & it's 32,000 for 8 weeks. UUmmm NO!

by on Sep. 15, 2017 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mindykay421
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 3:34 PM

BUMP!

mjande4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is in AVID, presumably she is receiving the extra support, i.e. tutoring, etc.  What do her AVID teachers say? Has anything drastic changed in her life recently?  If she is in all of those sports, then she has a number of coaches that also may have some insight.  Have you spoken to any one of them?

Mindykay421
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM

Nothing has changed outside of her hormones. I have spoken to each coach, each teacher as well as the principle. Not only is she getting extra help from her AVID teacher, she's getting it from all of her teachers and at home. I have had her in counseling since March, just so she can have someone to talk to outside of mom and teachers. She likes it and its going well.

I took her phone, make-up and hair products away. This made her angry. She's not doing her chores at home and wants to sleep all day as well. She has become very demanding and feels that since shes bigger than me that she can make her own choices without consequences.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this

You tried the stick.  Now try the carrot.   Parenting teens is a pain in the ass.

Mindykay421
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM

Tell me about it! I con't get the carrot thing.

SaskMummy
by on Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe she's embarrassed so she's acting out ? I used to do that when o felt like I was getting special treatment
mjande4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Something is definitely changed in her life to make this much of a personality/behavior difference. You need to find the root before you can begin to work to change.

cybcm
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 7:11 PM
Yeah that's way to massive of a change to just be hormones. Something is going on.
sal1976
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe she needs to talk to a counselor idk about your school district but we had a program at my dds school she went through 13 is a tough age I didn't think we'd ever survive but we did
MissAndree
by Member on Sep. 15, 2017 at 10:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think that this punitive punishment of taking makeup and hair products away is the right way to try and motivate a 13 year old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)