Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens and Harvey ETA photos

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:09 PM
  • 19 Replies
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

The past few weeks have been both heartbreaking and awe inspiring. We were lucky the bayou dam water stopped a little over 18 inches from our house . We only recieved roof damage and a leaky window . We were on an island for 5 days . We didn't have young children , sick people or elderly people so we declined being rescued . Our elementary school a few blocks from our house was a launch point for air boats , boats and other forms to go deeper in our neighborhood. The next from us took in 18 inches of water increasing block by block till those closest to the bayou measured 5 feet .
Once the water receded it was clean out time . It has been heartbreaking to see friends , neighbors and strangers homes piled on the curb . I never thought I would learn how to remove Sheetrock and insulation .
What has been awe inspiring is the tremendous amount of help . Our schools did not start again until Sept 12 or Sept 18 depending on the school . Many areas were not flooded , thank God . The first day of mucking out I went to my close friend and mother of the best friend of my college sophomore . Our group was inside pounding away when a football team from across the city showed up to help . Their coaches had rounded them up and headed for the west side . Over and over there were teens hauling stuff out to the curb , helping out a distribution centers at churches and community centers . Fixing 1000's of sack lunches at the same places . Helping out at " child care " centers at the same places so parents could work in their houses with 5 year olds running around . These kids could have kicked back , played video games are whatever during their extra two weeks .
They didn't instead with great attitudes , politeness and smiles they helped strangers .
I'm sure there are some bad kids but based on these teens there is greatness in our future .
The help from everyone has been awe inspiring !
by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM
That's great to hear.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:49 PM
That's great!
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:05 PM
Heartwarming to read this!
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

WOW. Sorry you had to go through all that. Hope they are able to get some aid, and put their lives back together. So good that people are stepping up and helping out and the kids too! Hard experience but it's good they're stepping up :)

Are you seeing that there are adequate supplies coming in?

Is there insurance for it, like "flood" or what would it be?

Here, we've had some pretty bad earthquakes, with homes torn off foundation, streets buckled, explosions because of gas lines, no electricity, no water, etc. We had eartthquake insurance but it didn't kick in, because we didn't have structural damage, just a ton of other damage, lingered even years later.  I can't imagine though what you guys are dealing with. 

Glad you are all ok!

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 20, 2017 at 2:25 AM
That is so awesome.

We have a house in FL but we are up north. I hope teens are helping there too. Our county won't start school again till next Monday. Some still don't have power from Irma. I called my vet today and they don't have power yet. The other location answered.
And now Maria is battering the islands again, ugh.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 9:01 AM

That's a very nice change of news.  Thanks for sharing this...it put a smile on my face.

sarahfire
by Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM

I've seen a lot of people helping people too. We got some water in one room of our house and the garage but were otherwise ok. Before Harvey we had 2 days of school and then it did not start again until Sept 11.

sarahfire
by Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM

I am not the OP but I am in the area affected by Hurricane Harvey and I can tell you that a lot of people who got flooded homes did not have flood insurance, most of us were told we did not need it and it has to be a separate policy from Homeowners and much more expensive. I think there are adequate supplies and some people are getting aid from FEMA and Red Cross, but some are not. I was lucky that our house only got water in one room.

Quoting Ziva65:

WOW. Sorry you had to go through all that. Hope they are able to get some aid, and put their lives back together. So good that people are stepping up and helping out and the kids too! Hard experience but it's good they're stepping up :)

Here, we've had some pretty bad earthquakes, with homes torn off foundation, streets buckled, explosions because of gas lines, no electricity, no water, etc. We had eartthquake insurance but it didn't kick in, because we didn't have structural damage, just a ton of other damage, lingered even years later.  I can't imagine though what you guys are dealing with. 

Glad you are all ok!

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Interesting. Thanks for answering that.

Yes earthquake insurance here is separate from homeowners too, and expensive. People were told they didn't need it, that FEMA would kick in. Well, it didn't. After the previous bad earthquake where FEMA did kick in, it wasn't approved this time but it was for businesses. Bankrupted people, very sad. But, apparently earthquake insurance didn't help either... so :/ our neighbors house was thrashed both times, the first time FEMA helped them, the second time not. They actually counted on FEMA. Nope.

Glad you only had one room!

Quoting sarahfire:

I am not the OP but I am in the area affected by Hurricane Harvey and I can tell you that a lot of people who got flooded homes did not have flood insurance, most of us were told we did not need it and it has to be a separate policy from Homeowners and much more expensive. I think there are adequate supplies and some people are getting aid from FEMA and Red Cross, but some are not. I was lucky that our house only got water in one room.

Quoting Ziva65:

Glad you are all ok!

sarahfire
by Member on Sep. 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

SMH sorry they do that to yall do but it sounds about right. Last time we had a bad storm and floods (Tropical Storm Allison in 2001) FEMA offered loans to people with flooded houses, which is never a good deal even with low interest rates. These govt agencies like FEMA are not as good as people think and not as helpful either. I would not count on FEMA for anything TBH.

Quoting Ziva65: Interesting. Thanks for answering that. Yes earthquake insurance here is separate from homeowners too, and expensive. People were told they didn't need it, that FEMA would kick in. Well, it didn't. After the previous bad earthquake where FEMA did kick in, it wasn't approved this time but it was for businesses. Bankrupted people, very sad. But, apparently earthquake insurance didn't help either... so :/ our neighbors house was thrashed both times, the first time FEMA helped them, the second time not. They actually counted on FEMA. Nope. Glad you only had one room!
Quoting sarahfire:

Quoting Ziva65:

Glad you are all ok!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)