Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I let my daughter go to Europe with her school?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM
  • 62 Replies

My daughter ( she a sophmore) came home yesterday all excited about info she got from her history teacher about the travel club at school. It wouldn't be until her junior year. The plan is to go to Spain, France and Italy. So my first thought to myself was 'No way'! All the horrible scary things going on in this world right now there is no way I am sending my daughter thousands of miles away across the ocean with the travel club. My husband and I agree on this. I don't care if they have an experienced guide with them or if the teacher says she will keep a good eye on her. I still don't think she should go. Any advice on this??

by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I would let my kid go.
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM
I would send my kids.
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM

There is a travel club at our kids' school as well.  Both DD and DS were looking at traveling to Europe this summer, with the club.  Unfortunately, both are already committed to other events that are scheduled at that same time, so they had to decline.

We are hoping DS will have another opportunity before he graduates.  DD will be in college next year, so we are encouraging her to look into study abroad opportunities.

JulesFairy
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 2:16 PM
Truthfully, I am not sure I would let me children go without me. That being said, all of the trips I was on, excepting my Senior trip, needed chaperones, so I would probably see if their were chaperone slots available and then maybe both of us go.
mjande4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:10 PM

I would let my child go and in fact have.  My daughter went as a foreign exchange student.  It was an experience of a lifetime.  I also have chaperoned the European Art History trip.  It's a trip of a lifetime!

LuvHugs429
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:19 PM

My first thought is always NO!! As my DH said, "They may never get the chance again" It's an experience they will never forget. It's good to have experiences.  There are so many things I wished I did before getting married and having kids.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM
I went on a high school trip with my daughter to Italy. I let my two boys go to Europe too with the school. We've been all over, the kids are well traveled. For the boys I said if anything goes haywire youve got your passport and money- so leave, go elsewhere.

It's up to you. If you have concerns maybe try to go as a chaperone. For the Italy trip we had a lot of other parents go, and they just made parallel plans but weren't directly involved. It worked great for them, especially when their kids were younger girls who hadnt traveled.

Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG yes, I would let my child go. Shit, I am readying for her to leave for boot camp next August. She enlisted the Aug. 25th while we prepared for hurricane Harvey to hit.

My 19-year-old son is leaving on a half country moped trip to CA. 

Learn to cut the cord and let them live a life.

Quoting Rene66:

My daughter ( she a sophmore) came home yesterday all excited about info she got from her history teacher about the travel club at school. It wouldn't be until her junior year. The plan is to go to Spain, France and Italy. So my first thought to myself was 'No way'! All the horrible scary things going on in this world right now there is no way I am sending my daughter thousands of miles away across the ocean with the travel club. My husband and I agree on this. I don't care if they have an experienced guide with them or if the teacher says she will keep a good eye on her. I still don't think she should go. Any advice on this??

redheadtmk
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I would let my child go. Those countries aren't any scarier than America.
cybcm
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:13 PM
Absolutely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)