Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaping

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2017 at 8:09 AM
  • 14 Replies

Yesterday I found a vaping pipe in my 15 YO son's nightstand. He had asked me a few months ago if I was OK with him vaping, and I told him inexplicitely, absolutely NOT. I don't care whether you only use the 'fruit juice' and not nicotine, you are ingesting something into your lungs that doesn't need to be there. So no.

Well, I talked to him about it this morning, and I asked him where/how he got it. At first he told me he ordered it off the internet; when I asked where he had it sent to, he told me had it sent to the post office. I told him he was lying, that you had to have a PO box for that. So then he changed his story and said "I had it sent to our house'....well, that is a lie too because I work from home and I see ALL the mail. So then he admits that it belongs to his Coworker. This I do believe. He said they were both vaping at work, and he stuck the pipe in his pocket and ended ip bringing it home. He tried to cover for this guy (although He is not completely innocent here) because his  father is their boss at work. He used to be firends with the kid, but now only really sees him at work. My son got the job because The father has always liked my son when our kids used to be friends, so he always puts them on the schedule together. The boy has gotten in trouble in the past for having a vape pipe (he told my son) and he is afraid of getting caught again, because obviously his dad would punish him harder this time. So I know that there are a few concerns that my son has: 1. losing his job because of his association with this. 2. The father (and boss, whom he has a lot of respect for) looking badly upon him 3. having to work (if he doesn't lose his job) with a kid who hates his guts for narking on him. 

And at this point, I do not even know how to handle this?

by on Nov. 8, 2017 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM

I'm not a fan of the "vaping" either.  Find it totally disgusting.

Honestly and this might be harsh, but your son choose this action and with someone our actions come consequences.  There for if he loses him job may he will learn this is not ok and next time I will say no.  I'm sure the father will look badly upon him because he doesn't allow his own son to do it so it's kind of do you expect to get a free pass?  Narking is apart of life and something you have to learn to deal with.  Sucks that's he is only 15, but at 15 he made some adult choices and now hopefully will learn from them.

For me from a Mother/Parent stand point he would be grounded, and I would also be speaking to this father letting him know what I know and how I feel about it.   

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 8, 2017 at 9:20 AM

I think it is just as harmful as smoking to me.  Years down the road they will find out.  It is illegal and I certainly wouldn't be happy and he would have consequences for it.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM

As a chemical engineer, there is no freakin way that you burn/vaporize a liquid and get "only water vapor".  (unless of course it's JUST water)

If that was possible the entire chemical industry wouldn't frickin exist.

I can only imagine what these people are inhaling that would make them smell like a pint of strawberries!  And is it only me.....around here the worst offenders are the big burly guys....puffing up a cloud of what I can only describe as unicorn farts.  Not very manly IMO.

anotherandree
by Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 10:06 AM
At 15, I think this is one of those life lessons that will have real consequences but not anything damaging. Those can be the best lessons. Basically, he got himself into it, and he needs to get himself out. Whatever he decides, I would talk to him after about how he is feeling, what were the consequences, what could have been worse, and such. Id also talk about what could have been done differently at the beginning to avoid this. (We're a talking family!)
sarahfire
by Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM

IDK. I wouldn't be happy either but there are way worse things he could be doing.

Errr, just make sure that what he is vaping doesn't contain THC....(marijuana)

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 12:07 PM

I would take that pipe into the boss(kids dad) where they work and tell him whos it is and let him deal with his kid. A far as your son, he would be grounded.  

steplifewife
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM

I thought about this, but I really have not 100% proof that it IS the kids'. If it is, he could lie and say that it is my sons'. That would just create an ugly situation.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

I would take that pipe into the boss(kids dad) where they work and tell him whos it is and let him deal with his kid. A far as your son, he would be grounded.  

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM

then just take it to the other kids dad and tell him you would like to figure out whos it is as your son says its his sons, and you want to find out the truth so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sounds like both kids might need grounding. 

Quoting steplifewife:

I thought about this, but I really have not 100% proof that it IS the kids'. If it is, he could lie and say that it is my sons'. That would just create an ugly situation.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Honestly, I would confiscate the vape pipe and punish my kid.  And I would tell him to inform his buddy that if he wants his vape pipe back he needs to fess up to his Dad and have them both come retrieve it.

Otherwise, the vape pipe goes bye bye and my child will be receiving consequences I feel appropriate.  He'd lose his door and whatever else I felt would get the message across loud and clear to him.

steplifewife
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM

"And I would tell him to inform his buddy that if he wants his vape pipe back he needs to fess up to his Dad and have them both come retrieve it." This! Good idea.

Quoting heybooboo:

Honestly, I would confiscate the vape pipe and punish my kid.  And I would tell him to inform his buddy that if he wants his vape pipe back he needs to fess up to his Dad and have them both come retrieve it.

Otherwise, the vape pipe goes bye bye and my child will be receiving consequences I feel appropriate.  He'd lose his door and whatever else I felt would get the message across loud and clear to him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)