Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:34 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
DD has her dad's lead foot and I have my mother's neurotic tendencies. Letting her drive through Louisiana was the wrong decision. ...

But there is absolutely no way I'd have been able to handle her driving through west texas where the speed limit goes to 80.

Even with cruise control, she was upping the speed. And I was losing my mind.

She kept speeding. I kept nagging. She'd tell me to chill and I'd tell her when she'd lay off the lead foot I'd chill.

There was eye rolling. There was nagging.

Next trip, we are flying.
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 6:42 AM
Next time wear a helmet and bring s stress ball.

With my mom I grip the oh Shโ€™t handle for dear life. But I donโ€™t drive so if I dear say anything so I just tell her my back is bothering me and itโ€™s s comfy position.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:23 AM
Even with the cruise control? Damn. Thatโ€™s irritating.
awbredux
by Allie on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:29 AM

My problem with my daughter and driving isn't about lead feet and neuroses (though I do sympathize!) but is based on what is at the root of much of our conflict.   She is exactly like me in personality and temperament.   When she was first beginning to learn to drive, I tried taking her out once.   To nobody's surprise, we were at each other's throats before the session ended.   I left it up to her Daddy after that.  I will say, though, that now that she's learned to drive, I did let her drive when we went somewhere last weekend.  She did well and we were still friends afterward!  

RaeMarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 11:20 AM

LOL Sounds like every car ride with my dad! Going too fast, too slow, wrong lane, music too loud, not loud enough, too hot in the car, not hot enough....... My mother always road in the backseat and crocheted when dad would drive on trips. He is as bad as me! LOL At least you survived and lived to tell about it. 

armytriplets
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM
Is she a teen or an adult?
I told my teen that she does near the speed limit or she loses her car privileges. She got a ticket doing 85 in a 50 and lost her car for 3 months!
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 4:09 PM
She is 17 and has been driving for 2 years now.

She wasn't too much over the speed limit, but it was also very unnecessary to up the speed as she was. Which then turned into having to accelerate, slow down, change lanes frequently. And there was a lot of traffic.

She is scheduled to taking a defensive driving course in January, because she has a tendency to be an aggressive driver like DH.

Quoting armytriplets: Is she a teen or an adult?
I told my teen that she does near the speed limit or she loses her car privileges. She got a ticket doing 85 in a 50 and lost her car for 3 months!
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:30 AM
So just sayin once past Kerrville more or less I -10 simply begs you to put the pedal to the metal . We only occasionally drive to El Paso and Ruidosa anymore ... we fly in a plane not ground level LOL
One spring break many , many years ago during my senior year in college nine of us caravaned to El Paso then Ruidosa . At the time my uncle lived in El Paso and I called him right before we left . We flew as fast as the cars would let us . Whoa I still remember the lecture he gave us when we showed up a few hours earlier than expected.?
I-10 begs you to drive fast in west Texas . That's my story ......๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 9:31 AM
Oh man, it's been almost 20 years since I've been to ruidoso.

A few years ago, we stopped at the stone henge replica outside Kerrville.

We normally come through Dallas, to El Paso. But for a few years we did take i-10 from Mobile all the way, since my brother lived in San Antonio.

Quoting drfink: So just sayin once past Kerrville more or less I -10 simply begs you to put the pedal to the metal . We only occasionally drive to El Paso and Ruidosa anymore ... we fly in a plane not ground level LOL
One spring break many , many years ago during my senior year in college nine of us caravaned to El Paso then Ruidosa . At the time my uncle lived in El Paso and I called him right before we left . We flew as fast as the cars would let us . Whoa I still remember the lecture he gave us when we showed up a few hours earlier than expected.?
I-10 begs you to drive fast in west Texas . That's my story ......๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:45 AM
One of our SILs was cured of the lead foot a few years ago with a $300 plus fine, plus fees,plus driving school to keep it off the insurance record. Up a bit from the $40 fines of my youth and the $10 fines of my dad's youth.
characterbuildr
by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 6:00 PM

I think that is the hardest part of parenting....letting them grow up and having to ride along! =)  We are in the midst of driving practice with our 16 year old.  I admit that she may have my bad driving habits too!  We discuss as we are driving and after driving the things that went well and that could improve.  Our insurance company provided a great tool to help with that.  Have you checked with yours to see if they have anything to help?   Remember, our parents had to do the same with us =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)