Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14 year old boys and Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all have a blessed and safe day!!
Second what in the world do you get 14 year old boys for Christmas? Other then video games. Lol
My own son and I have no idea what to get him and he has no idea what he wants. Bahahahaha he loves Minecraft and building stuff. That’s basically all he does. I was trying to think of things to get him outside. He loves expirememting with my daughters boyfriend. The things those two come up with. His birthday is in two weeks also. He will be 14. Oh man this is not suppose to be hard. My oldest son is easy and my daughter is easy, but why is it so hard for my 14 year old son? Ahhhh

Oh I did ask him what he wants and it’s some 400 dollar gaming system. Nope sorry to much save your money. I’m so mean. Haha
by on Nov. 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3Junebabies
by Nina on Nov. 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM
My boys like gift cards and game stuff. My daughter’s best friend(14/15 yr old boy), over the years we’ve bought him a hoodie, headphones, board games, a digital sketch pad. The one thing he wanted that we did not get him was a bow and arrow. I would have got that for him but I did not want to feel responsible for if there were accidents or injuries. That’s an outdoors hobby though.
Maime13
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Christmas is for gifts that align with people's passions and interests, not for things you *want* them to be/do.

What does "He loves experimenting with my daughter's boyfriend" mean exactly?

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Welcome to our corner of the cafe!!!

It can be tough. We started giving our daughters the universal gift card--CASH. He can put that cash towards his gaming system.

Our oldest daughter and SIL have foster daughters, now 14, 15, and 16, with adoption pending. The oldest couple, our youngest daughter and SIL, the parents of both SIL's, hubby and I are using Christmas to meet certain needs for them and they have many.
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 23, 2017 at 10:30 PM

I have girls but once they got older they got one larger gift and stocking stuffers and that was it.  Of course in the stocking they had some gift cards.  I still do this for them.  

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly I have no idea. He’s been hinting he needs a bigger bike and he wants a mountain bike so he still use it in winter. I’ve thought about a new gaming system but I’m home more now and I hate it when they play. It always ends in a fight or someone getting angry and I wonder why we buy them these things. Also thinking of an inexpensive Lap top. He has a chromebook but learning they have limitations.

He plays golf and it’s not really golfing weather here but thinking of some golf stuff too. Gift cards are usually a big hint too.
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM
I'm curious, what are the limitations on the Chromebook? Is it a gaming limitation? Or?

Quoting ljmom24: Honestly I have no idea. He’s been hinting he needs a bigger bike and he wants a mountain bike so he still use it in winter. I’ve thought about a new gaming system but I’m home more now and I hate it when they play. It always ends in a fight or someone getting angry and I wonder why we buy them these things. Also thinking of an inexpensive Lap top. He has a chromebook but learning they have limitations.

He plays golf and it’s not really golfing weather here but thinking of some golf stuff too. Gift cards are usually a big hint too.
RaeMarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM

I do a lot of gift cards but since those are really no fun I make the unwrapping of them fun. Last year I bought a gc tin to put the card in. I put cable ties all around it. I wrapped that in a slightly larger box. I put that box in another box I covered with lots of duct tape. I did this sort of thing for like 5 layers! LOL

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:35 PM
There are some games you can’t play, roblox being a big one in our house they aren’t happy they can’t play. I don’t think he can get his iTunes on it (could be wrong or he might have given up)

It’s mostly meant an online machine. You can’t put office on it but you can access office docs. It’s good for browsing and they can watch Netflix on it

It’s good for school work cause his school uses chrome books and google classroom but he’s showing interest in web development and such and I think he needs a traditional computer.

Quoting Kimmybabe: I'm curious, what are the limitations on the Chromebook? Is it a gaming limitation? Or?

Quoting ljmom24: Honestly I have no idea. He’s been hinting he needs a bigger bike and he wants a mountain bike so he still use it in winter. I’ve thought about a new gaming system but I’m home more now and I hate it when they play. It always ends in a fight or someone getting angry and I wonder why we buy them these things. Also thinking of an inexpensive Lap top. He has a chromebook but learning they have limitations.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Nov. 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM

I had the pleasure of shopping for a 14 year old boy this year. I got hims accesories to a gaming system, pajama pants, books, gift cards, shirts, and a pokemon blanket. 

It was a lot of fun. I can't wait to give it to him. 

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2017 at 9:31 PM

My youngest is our challenge.  We have enough Legos, Nerf guns, video games etc.  And for the most part, the kids pretty much have what they want as we tend to indulge in their hobbies year round, and they have way too many grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that will spoil them throughout the year as well.

We have resorted to season passes for amusement parks, gift cards for movies, rock climbing, parkour, etc.  Those tend to be successful for all of the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)