Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter Selected for Community Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 11:06 AM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter was selected to receive a community Christmas box from her school. I called the school today to decline their offer. The lady stated Sasha was nominated by a teacher because she never has lunch money, boots, or a good winter coat.

I present to you her 9 pairs of boots and 7 of her coats (2 more are not pictured)

I responded that not all  kids in need, look like they need it. While I appreciate them thinking of her I think it's best they pass the blessing on to some others. I said I would be happy to provide names of kids whose families I know are struggling right now.

This made me think of a few years ago when dd2 was selected to receive free school supplies despite the fact that we have an entire tub with a few hundred dollars with of supplies in our coat closet.

by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 1:47 PM

wow.  That was pretty presumptious on their part.

I'd be offended...

mjande4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm surprised they didn't look at whether she qualified for free and reduced lunch.  That's how our school initially creates a list. This might be a good opportunity for a learning experience for your daughter.  Her not coming appropriately dressed for the weather is setting off red flags to someone and maybe her knowing this will help her realize that people are judged on a daily basis for things both good and bad.

heybooboo
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 2:14 PM
I admit, I would be offended as well.

Quoting chicken13:

wow.  That was pretty presumptious on their part.

I'd be offended...

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter attended private schools from 7th through 12th.  Teens are odd creatures.  I cannot tell you how many times at drop offs I saw teen boys in shorts in the middle of winter in 20 degree weather, without a winter coat on to boot.   

GaleJ
by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 2:28 PM
Our son is like me and doesn't "feel" the cold as much as many other people. We live in Chicago and I never wear a winter coat, usually just a light jacket or sweater as does he. It is rather silly of the school to presume so much without checking with a parent first.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Dec. 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM

I have always taught the girls they are an extension of me. And when they are out and about how they act and carry themselves reflects on me.

She was not embaressed by this. But I explained that the fact that this teacher felt she was going without is not okay.

Quoting mjande4:

I'm surprised they didn't look at whether she qualified for free and reduced lunch.  That's how our school initially creates a list. This might be a good opportunity for a learning experience for your daughter.  Her not coming appropriately dressed for the weather is setting off red flags to someone and maybe her knowing this will help her realize that people are judged on a daily basis for things both good and bad.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Dec. 4, 2017 at 2:34 PM

She does not qualify for free lunch BUT she also has NOT been eating lunch. An entirely different discussion.

So I can understand why this teacher may have made some assumptions. Her home district offers free lunch to all. We received a grant 3 years ago. So no one fills out for free or reduced lunch (Another arguement)

Even though she goes to the tech school since her home school offers free lunch the tech school is suppose to provide her one as well.

Quoting mjande4:

heybooboo
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My 12-year-old has suddenly become very anti jacket, I can't get him to even wear a long sleeve uniform shirt. His 16-year-old brother lives in his hoodies year round though, even in 100-degree weather.   

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

My daughter attended private schools from 7th through 12th.  Teens are odd creatures.  I cannot tell you how many times at drop offs I saw teen boys in shorts in the middle of winter in 20 degree weather, without a winter coat on to boot.   

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 5, 2017 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
My 21 year old has worn shorts almost year round since 7th or 8th . To keep my griping down in the winter he would wear pants to church . He is away at college so I don't even worry what he wears to church there .
My soon to be 20 year old only wears shorts by our pool or at our beach house . Well by any pool but if there isn't a pool he is in jeans or pants at church . He also is away at college so I
just don't think about him walking to clas in 100 degrees in jeans .

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 5, 2017 at 1:58 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)