Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter Selected for Community Christmas

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter was selected to receive a community Christmas box from her school. I called the school today to decline their offer. The lady stated Sasha was nominated by a teacher because she never has lunch money, boots, or a good winter coat.

I present to you her 9 pairs of boots and 7 of her coats (2 more are not pictured)

I responded that not all  kids in need, look like they need it. While I appreciate them thinking of her I think it's best they pass the blessing on to some others. I said I would be happy to provide names of kids whose families I know are struggling right now.

This made me think of a few years ago when dd2 was selected to receive free school supplies despite the fact that we have an entire tub with a few hundred dollars with of supplies in our coat closet.

by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 11:06 AM
Replies (11-15):
Msgme
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 12:25 PM

The first thanksgiving that my children had in the elementary school where we live now.  The school was giving away some turkeys.  the kindergarte class chose the kid who drew the best picture of the their family. the pta did a random drawing and the principal i dont even remember how she chose.  None of them spoke with eachother and each of my 3 walked away with a free turkey that year.  i let it go.  Christmas time came and each of my also won presents that were suppose to be random  they had nothing to go on everyone had free lunch they didnt even have forms to fill out. the principal just said she thought we could use it.  it didnt happen again until tori was in 5th grade when she came home telling me the teacher wated to give tori clothes her daughter out grew.  I was offended at first but the teacher assured me it was beause tori was the right size and her daughter and tori really liked eachother.   Then in middle school we had an issue with the security gurard getting upset that tori did not wear a winter jacket.  we live within a 3-5 minute walk 2 if she ran and she often ran.  if she took a coat she would have to carry it around all day.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 1:46 PM

The hand me down clothes wouldn't have offended me....and lord, I hope I haven't offended others...cause I do it all the time.

But all the other stuff would make me really wonder what other people were thinking of me and my family.  I definately wouldn't be pleased....

Quoting Msgme:

The first thanksgiving that my children had in the elementary school where we live now.  The school was giving away some turkeys.  the kindergarte class chose the kid who drew the best picture of the their family. the pta did a random drawing and the principal i dont even remember how she chose.  None of them spoke with eachother and each of my 3 walked away with a free turkey that year.  i let it go.  Christmas time came and each of my also won presents that were suppose to be random  they had nothing to go on everyone had free lunch they didnt even have forms to fill out. the principal just said she thought we could use it.  it didnt happen again until tori was in 5th grade when she came home telling me the teacher wated to give tori clothes her daughter out grew.  I was offended at first but the teacher assured me it was beause tori was the right size and her daughter and tori really liked eachother.   Then in middle school we had an issue with the security gurard getting upset that tori did not wear a winter jacket.  we live within a 3-5 minute walk 2 if she ran and she often ran.  if she took a coat she would have to carry it around all day.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM

had it been anyone other than someone from the school offering her clothes I wouldnt of thought twice. I often wondered what the kids were saying.  Because you couldnt look at anyone in the school and think oh they are having a hard time.  Everyone had free lunch. the kids always had money to buy snacks at lunch. always had the money for trips and book fares and i was often the only parent that ever sent in snacks for class parties.  Dh always thought it was because prior to living here we lived in the projects.

Quoting chicken13:

The hand me down clothes wouldn't have offended me....and lord, I hope I haven't offended others...cause I do it all the time.

But all the other stuff would make me really wonder what other people were thinking of me and my family.  I definately wouldn't be pleased....

Quoting Msgme:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Dec. 5, 2017 at 9:15 PM

Sasha informed me that her school counselor followed up with her on the coat situation again! He pulled her out to talk about her enrollment in the college course for next semester and informed her again that they have coats, hats, and gloves if needed.  The secretary informed him that I had declined. 

Sasha said she told him she was good. I know she has a classmate that is really struggling. I left a voicemail that basically stated I appreciate their concern nd follow up but to leve it alone before she starts getting a complex. 

She said the first time they asked was funny. But the second time was a bit uncomfortable. She still refuses to wear a coat. 

With that said I walked into the bank today in a dress (for dressember) and a cardigan and the teller asked me where my coat was. So maybe I should be leading by example. 

Quoting Msgme:

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:45 AM
This came up on one of local mom boards. I guess a school principal did a robo call about how all kids HAVE to wear a proper winter coat. It’s a k-8 School so it wasn’t clear if it was intended to all kids but those of us with kids that run hot we laughed.

Now if kids families can’t afford coats that’s one thing and what has come out of this is a coat drive and I plan on donating. BUT this is s hockey town and that particular School is across from the rink and the school district now runs it so in winter they have skating as part of gym and with School choose a lot of hockey families choose that School a good 3rd of yds team go there and these kids leave hockey in dead of winter in shorts and hoodies. When you spend 5-7 hours or more a week onnthe ice you develop a resistance to the cold.

Now also it’s New England and our weather is bipolar. It’s 54 out right now on December 6th!!! Even my non hockey kid would over heat this morning in a winter coat. My mom at 70 is finally at the point she’s cold enough to wear an actual winter coat. She used to walk to work all year round in just her nursing scrubs. My neice is the same way.

I would just never assume cause a kid doesn’t wear a coat they can’t afford a coat. Now if she comes in School and she’s noticeably cold that’s one thing but if she was content I’d guess she’s one of those warm people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)