Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waiting at bus stop in the cold

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

The latest in the saga of my 16 year old foster daugher is that it's getting cold and she doesn't like having to stand outside and wait on the bus.  Unfortunately she cannot see down the road from the windows so she can't wait inside.  And I sit at the corner in the car with the younger two because it fits into my schedule, but both my husband and I have to leave for work before she catches the bus so we don't have much choice.  She does need a warmer coat but otherwise there isn't much I can do.  Does anyone have a creative solution I haven't thought of?

by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoGibson
by Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:08 AM
You can buy her a self heating coat or if that's out of your price range maybe a hot water bottle to put inside her coat?
K3412
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:12 AM
She can layer up (a much warmer coat at the very least, extra sweater, hat, gloves, etc.), and stick those disposable hand warmers in the coat or in her pockets. Other than that, she will likely just need to stick it out. Life is cold sometimes.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:17 AM
Bump
chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Is there a friend or neighbor who could let her wait for the bus at their stop...assuming it's closer?

You could also drop her off at school on your way to work.  She'd be crazy early but that's what my mom used to do with me.  I'd sit and do my homework or study until school/friends started.

mandalyn74
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM

That would require her to get up earlier and I'm sure she'd rather wait in the cold than do that LOL

Quoting chicken13:

Is there a friend or neighbor who could let her wait for the bus at their stop...assuming it's closer?

You could also drop her off at school on your way to work.  She'd be crazy early but that's what my mom used to do with me.  I'd sit and do my homework or study until school/friends started.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

You can give her the option and let her decide which is worse...she's old enough to be able to decide....sleep or freeze.  Stop pandering to her...

My dd gets up at 5 am to practice piano for 45 minutes...plenty of kids get up at o'dark 30 to go to hockey practice....

Life is full of choices.

Quoting mandalyn74:

That would require her to get up earlier and I'm sure she'd rather wait in the cold than do that LOL

Quoting chicken13:

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:38 AM
This, I have very little sympathy for someone in this scenario unless they moved from a warm climate to a cold one and then it’s about learning to dress right and adjusting.

Yes I am that mom that tells her kid I walked to school in the winter in snow up hill and I wasn’t lying and I showed them. I lived on a hill and my high school was on a hill so I was down my hill and up high school and then reverse for home. Lived too close to take bus never any room by the time it got to my street. Jr It was up hill to and from school depending on the route.

I was also a skier as a kid and teen so cold didn’t bother me.

Quoting K3412: She can layer up (a much warmer coat at the very least, extra sweater, hat, gloves, etc.), and stick those disposable hand warmers in the coat or in her pockets. Other than that, she will likely just need to stick it out. Life is cold sometimes.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:50 AM

She can suck it up and stand out in the cold. Buy her a warmer coat, hat, gloves, and fuzzy boots. Find out exactly when the bus comes and how long it takes her to get tot he stop so she can time how long she has to be out. My old house was 4 houses down from a bus stop and my girls and about 15 other kids stood out in the cold for up to 10-15 minutes each and they all survived. If a 7 year old can suck it up so can she.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM

I too was going to suggest dropping her off at school early on the way to work. Around here, the school cafeteria and library are open early to accommodate that. When ours were taking dual enrollment classes at the community college, we dropped them off on the way to work and one of us mothers would pick them up on our lunch hour and drop them back at the high school. Ours did homework in the college and high school library. Then they would walk the mile home after school. We have cold and rainy weather but no snow or ice as they close the schools when that happens.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:06 PM
I sat at the bus stop or dropped mine off or they got a ride with the neighbor kids before they started driving. I also suggest she go early or get her that coat that had warming in it. My son in law has one as he works on cars.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)