Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waiting at bus stop in the cold

Posted by   + Show Post

The latest in the saga of my 16 year old foster daugher is that it's getting cold and she doesn't like having to stand outside and wait on the bus.  Unfortunately she cannot see down the road from the windows so she can't wait inside.  And I sit at the corner in the car with the younger two because it fits into my schedule, but both my husband and I have to leave for work before she catches the bus so we don't have much choice.  She does need a warmer coat but otherwise there isn't much I can do.  Does anyone have a creative solution I haven't thought of?

by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:02 AM
Replies (11-17):
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Mine road the bus until they got their licenses and now they drive themselves.  Even when DD was on crutches, I made her ride the bus.  A round trip taking them to school is almost an hour heavy traffic.  

But their bus also stops directly in front of our house, so they can sit inside until they see it approaching.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM

my daughter has a 10-15 minute walk to the subway station and has to wait for the train.  get off the train and wait another 15-20 minutes for a bus because that damm bus is never on time and she often has to wait for a 2nd cause the first is full and just keeps going instead of stopping. which is way worse than i had it as a kid.  Middle school and elemetary the school was right around the corner so this was a big change for her. I make sure she has a warm coat, gloves, scarf hat  etc... not that she ever wears all of it.  lol  but its only been in the 30's here the last few days.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Get her some nice thick leg warmers that go up to her thighs.  When I worked in DC and commuted by subway, I had to stand outside for my stop, since it was above ground.  I wore leg warmers.  

https://www.sockdreams.com/super-long-ribbed-leg-warmers.html

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 5:47 PM
this is what our kds have done over the years.

Quoting chicken13:

Is there a friend or neighbor who could let her wait for the bus at their stop...assuming it's closer?

You could also drop her off at school on your way to work.  She'd be crazy early but that's what my mom used to do with me.  I'd sit and do my homework or study until school/friends started.

Chinadoll1374
by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM

Unfortunately, that is one of the joys of school bus riding. Almost all children experience it – whether cold, rain, or shine. Does the arrival time of the bus vary a lot? If not, you could probably know the bus arrival within a 5 minute margin so she wouldn’t have to be out there for too long. Dress her in a very warm coat, complete with scarf, hat, and gloves. You could also make her some hot chocolate in a paper cup to take with her to the bus stop while she waits. Something else that could possibly help is a distraction - does she have a phone or something that could keep her distracted while she is waiting for the bus? I hope that these suggestions help your daughter a little. Thanks for sharing and God bless!

my2kidsmom9498
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Be sure she has proper clothes, wears a hat and dresses in layers.
LaughinTattoo7
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 10:59 PM

Dude, I seriously walked a mile to school in ALL weather, She will be fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)