Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FBI Stopped By

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM
  • 7 Replies

An FBI agent came by yesterday to interview us for T's background check. I was surprised he reached out to dd directly since she's a  minor. When he came in he introduced himself to her directly and offered to sit with her in the living room so they could chat.

My father in-law asked for his credentials and invited him to sit at the kitchen table with ALL of us.

He was really nice and joked that T was really a 35 year old Russian spy. All the adults laughed, it went over dd's head.

A half hour before the agent arrived I had received a call from T's mom stating the agent came to her home and she had become combative, refused to speak to him unless he came back with a warrent.

SMH...  She demanded to know why the "feds" came to her house asking about T and questioned if he had gotten into some sort of trouble.. then asked to borrow $80. *sigh*

That woman is a piece of work.

by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Hubby and I had one of those experiences years ago. We had lived three doors down in an apartment house to a guy and his wife or GF and the FBI wanted to know everything we knew about them, which was NOTHING. I had never even seen them and hubby had only said hello to the guy a couple of times in the parking lot. Hubby explained that he had actually had longer conversations with George “W” on two occasions, but “W” would not know hubby any better than the other five million people who had shook hands with “W”. Hubby actually shook that hand of “W” before Bush #41 or #43 were POTUS.

Years later youngest SILs dad explained that that type of questioning is done for information purposes. Like if the guy was a border patrol officer and somebody said that his wife was driving a late model Jag, he was driving a late model Range Rover, and their son and daughter each drove late model Corvettes, the FBI would start inquiring into the source of that money for a guy earning maybe $60,000 per year.

My guess is that in the future they will be checking to make sure that T does not have excessive money, etcetera.

They also use that to verify the truthfulness of has statements in the file.

PS: if you’re giving out money, I would like to borrow some also. LOL

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:22 PM

We have been through that a few times.  We had a neighbor that became a federal agent, and we were interviewed 2 or 3 times just for him.

I admit I would have been tempted to mess with his mom had she called me.  LOL.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Dh worked with the NSA for a bit ....the "interrogated" everyone he knew/had known/ brushed up against.  It is what it is....

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Back when I was in college, I got a recurring summer position in the Pentagon to work as a clerk typist for the Navy in the logistics office.  I had to get a secret clearance in order to be able to handle confidential documents.  My boyfriend at the time was taking a summer class on campus and said that the investigator came by to talk to him about me and when the investigator found out he was my boyfriend, the investigator replied "I can't talk to you" and turned around and left, lol.  

Sydel
by Group Admin on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:54 PM

He said that they don't usually talk to family or partners. But they felt my daughter may give them some insight...

Other than verifying he doesn't have an allegence to another country and asking about his finances and the relationship with this mom nothing seemed out of line.

He did ask for T's ex step dad's real name since he is the guy that legally adopted him and changed his FULL name when he was 12 or 13.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Back when I was in college, I got a recurring summer position in the Pentagon to work as a clerk typist for the Navy in the logistics office.  I had to get a secret clearance in order to be able to handle confidential documents.  My boyfriend at the time was taking a summer class on campus and said that the investigator came by to talk to him about me and when the investigator found out he was my boyfriend, the investigator replied "I can't talk to you" and turned around and left, lol.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:50 PM
Wow that woman is a piece of work.
Bexsmomma
by New Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM
The FBI is common when doing higher level clearances. T is going into intelligence so it would be assumedc he needs at leassdt a TS clearance. DH was intelligence until his retirement from the army.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)