Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They got into college - now what?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been in higher education ever since I started college.  I've worked at 4 different colleges (the current one for 12 years, which is a research institution)....state and private. I've been a college advisor for almost 20 years and now currently a program coordinator for foster youth and I also work with 1st generation, low-income students and do study skill workshops/advising.

So, as your child starts to get those acceptance letters, I would not mind being available for questions about succeeding in college, giving suggestions/recommendations, and just answering questions....it can be academically, personally, socially, etc.  I really love reaching out to the new students and helping them build a foundation.

Ask me anything!

by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Replies (51-53):
romalove
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:41 PM
Right.

But on the websites they do talk about other scholarships and housing etc.

Do you see it as a good sign that he asked?

Quoting M4LG5:

WHAT THE HECK???  That's kinda odd.

I'll admit, that I don't work with too many graduate students (usually pre-grad) but I've never heard of anything like this.  Typically the department pays for their tuition and gives them a stipend if they are at the doctoral level.

Quoting romalove: Ok, op, here's a new one.

One of the universities that my daughter applied to for a doctoral program called her today. They said just hypothetically if we were looking for scholarships for you or putting together a package but just hypothetically we're not saying anything right now could you tell us if you identify as Latino or Italian?

We are dumbfounded. Did you ever hear of a school calling and saying anything like this?

jad1027
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 12:21 AM

College?!?!.....I will be happy when my SD finishes her 6th year of high school....YES HIGH SCHOOL!!!

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 12:43 AM
Hopefully she Can! Good luck

Quoting jad1027:

College?!?!.....I will be happy when my SD finishes her 6th year of high school....YES HIGH SCHOOL!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)