Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT (Down to One Car)

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:21 PM
  • 17 Replies

Dh has had his impala for a good 12-13 years. We have a picture of dd in front of it her first day of kinder.

About 3 years ago the power steering went out. It wouldn't work and sat for almost a year. He could ahve gotten a new car but claimed he doesn't like change and wants HIS car.

Long story short he has put so much money into that damn car. It's rusted, it's broken, and I don't understand WHY he won't buy a new car when we have the money.

Welp, his radiator is now broke. The mechanic wants $800 to fix. He mentioned buying a new car today. But he just texted me saying his co-worker can fix his car for half the price so he's just going to drive around in MY car until it gets warm, then this guy will fix his car.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't want to share a car. Especially for months. We live in Ohio, it's not going to get warm for a few months. That's at least 3 to 4 months of juggling because he won't get a new car. My FIL suggested I go buy myself another car but I feel that would be in poor taste.

Okay, that's it just had to vent.

by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotspice58
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Ish!!  I hear it's very cold in Ohio... It's freezing here in LI/NYC...  wow.   he won't buy a new car....  can't help.  sorry.

ILovemyPaulie
by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM

I don't understand your post.  If you can buy another car then why not? What's in poor taste?

Sydel
by Group Admin on Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM

My car is only 5 years old. If I bought another car I would have 2 new/newer ones and he would still have the POS car. And I know him, he would make the comment that he can't buy a new car because I have a new one.

Maybe poor taste is the wrong word. But I honestly have no interest in buying a new car. I just want him to either fix his crap car or buy a new one and leave mine alone.

I LOVE my Kia and the independance of not sharing a car.

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

I don't understand your post.  If you can buy another car then why not? What's in poor taste?

lovingladyo4
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Why don't you rent one and if he displays some immature behavior over it, tell him he's not the only one who gets their way and have all the convenience. Pretty selfish of him.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh hell no. My car is my car. I’m not sharing with anyone.

When dh and I were young (and dumb), his car was in the shop and he took mine for the day. He dropped me off at work, gave me a kiss and even packed me a lunch.

Around 5, I started to wonder when he was coming to get me. I tried to call him. But that was back when you turned cell phones off and on, and all I kept getting was his voicemail. 6...nada. 7...nada.

Around 8, he finally called my lab. He had totally forgotten about me and was in Washington on business.

Yup. Left me stranded. My car was at some random ass parking garage at a train station. To say I was livid would be a massive under statement.

We have never shared a car since then.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 4:13 PM
I’m a mechanics daughter we drive cars until he can’t fix it. Ours is an 2004 and he has a 2003. I think he finally put my moms old 1995 gmc Jimmy to sleep. Usually if my mom got a new car he took her old one. It’s not that he doesn’t have means to get new cars. It’s like a challenge to keep them alive. And it’s guys like your dh that keeps guys like my dad busy.

I don’t drive so can’t speak to car sharing. My dad used have a selection of vehicles for us to borrow when ours is being fixed but it seems everyone’s goes at the same time and he’s had to put some go rest.
RaeMarie
by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 5:30 PM

I hate car issues! My dh had a truck like that. We put waaaaaaay too much money into it because he wouldn't  hear of getting a different one. Never made sense to me. We put more than 5 times the blue book value into that thing. Thankfully, when dd got pg he agreed to an SUV. That truck was so much his baby that our youngest is named after it! It was a Chevy Cheyenne. DD8 middle name is Cheyenne. LOL

heybooboo
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Get him the uber app and wish him luck.

We aren't nostalgic about our cars, and have no problem replacing them if they become unreliable. DH isn't the type to mess with car issues. He'd more likely go buy a new one then to attempt to keep one past its prime.
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Hubby gets mileage money from work and buys a new low end Ford Explorer every four years. It's usually after the newer model has come out.  I drive his old one for the next four years. It works well for us because, with the tax free millage payments from work, our out of pocket car payment on the newer vehicle over four years is around $275 per month, which ain't bad for two vehicles. Back in late 2014 he got one, I continue to drive the 2005, and we gave our couples the 2009. 

Our couples have a 2016 Explorer, a 2016 Transit 15 passenger van, a 2011 Ford Focus, and the above mentioned 2009 Explorer. The death of their 1996 Suburban last June necessitated the van purchase.  it was kind of sad to say goodbye to that old prom-mobile Suburban.  Lots of great memories.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor taste how? I’ve come home with a new car... a puppy...another puppy.. if there no money issue, just get another. I totally would and I really don’t like to share. Forget that.
😊
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)