Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT (Down to One Car)

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh has had his impala for a good 12-13 years. We have a picture of dd in front of it her first day of kinder.

About 3 years ago the power steering went out. It wouldn't work and sat for almost a year. He could ahve gotten a new car but claimed he doesn't like change and wants HIS car.

Long story short he has put so much money into that damn car. It's rusted, it's broken, and I don't understand WHY he won't buy a new car when we have the money.

Welp, his radiator is now broke. The mechanic wants $800 to fix. He mentioned buying a new car today. But he just texted me saying his co-worker can fix his car for half the price so he's just going to drive around in MY car until it gets warm, then this guy will fix his car.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't want to share a car. Especially for months. We live in Ohio, it's not going to get warm for a few months. That's at least 3 to 4 months of juggling because he won't get a new car. My FIL suggested I go buy myself another car but I feel that would be in poor taste.

Okay, that's it just had to vent.

by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Replies (11-17):
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Yup. This. I don’t share either.

I don’t even like it if he drives it. Everything is in its place, don’t mess with it. I like my pattern.

Quoting chicken13: Oh hell no. My car is my car. I’m not sharing with anyone.

When dh and I were young (and dumb), his car was in the shop and he took mine for the day. He dropped me off at work, gave me a kiss and even packed me a lunch.

Around 5, I started to wonder when he was coming to get me. I tried to call him. But that was back when you turned cell phones off and on, and all I kept getting was his voicemail. 6...nada. 7...nada.

Around 8, he finally called my lab. He had totally forgotten about me and was in Washington on business.

Yup. Left me stranded. My car was at some random ass parking garage at a train station. To say I was livid would be a massive under statement.

We have never shared a car since then.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 8:46 AM
Don’t get me started on moving things around. He’s 6’. I’m 5’4”. He moves the seat all the way back...I can’t even find the pedals and the mirrors....all moved. I swear he even changes the radio.

I’d ban him from getting in my car except he has to move it to plow our driveway and I don’t want to move it myself. Lol

Quoting Ziva65: Yup. This. I don’t share either.

I don’t even like it if he drives it. Everything is in its place, don’t mess with it. I like my pattern.

Quoting chicken13: Oh hell no. My car is my car. I’m not sharing with anyone.

When dh and I were young (and dumb), his car was in the shop and he took mine for the day. He dropped me off at work, gave me a kiss and even packed me a lunch.

Around 5, I started to wonder when he was coming to get me. I tried to call him. But that was back when you turned cell phones off and on, and all I kept getting was his voicemail. 6...nada. 7...nada.

Around 8, he finally called my lab. He had totally forgotten about me and was in Washington on business.

Yup. Left me stranded. My car was at some random ass parking garage at a train station. To say I was livid would be a massive under statement.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 12:21 PM
This exactly! I’m 5’2 he’s 6’. He’s even changed my seat settings, the radio display thing, leaves old cups on the floor- REALLY a pet peeve of mine. 😊

I totally agree with you. I don’t mind if the kids drive my car once in a while, they KNOW to put everything back where it was. They have their own cars-

Quoting chicken13: Don�t get me started on moving things around. He�s 6�. I�m 5�4�. He moves the seat all the way back...I can�t even find the pedals and the mirrors....all moved. I swear he even changes the radio.

I�d ban him from getting in my car except he has to move it to plow our driveway and I don�t want to move it myself. Lol
Quoting Ziva65: Yup. This. I don�t share either.

I don�t even like it if he drives it. Everything is in its place, don�t mess with it. I like my pattern.
Quoting chicken13: Oh hell no. My car is my car. I�m not sharing with anyone.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course...occassionaly I take his car and forget to reset everything ....lol.  

Quoting Ziva65: This exactly! I’m 5’2 he’s 6’. He’s even changed my seat settings, the radio display thing, leaves old cups on the floor- REALLY a pet peeve of mine. 😊 I totally agree with you. I don’t mind if the kids drive my car once in a while, they KNOW to put everything back where it was. They have their own cars-
Quoting chicken13: Don�t get me started on moving things around. He�s 6�. I�m 5�4�. He moves the seat all the way back...I can�t even find the pedals and the mirrors....all moved. I swear he even changes the radio. I�d ban him from getting in my car except he has to move it to plow our driveway and I don�t want to move it myself. Lol
Quoting Ziva65: Yup. This. I don�t share either. I don�t even like it if he drives it. Everything is in its place, don�t mess with it. I like my pattern.
Quoting chicken13: Oh hell no. My car is my car. I�m not sharing with anyone. When dh and I were young (and dumb), his car was in the shop and he took mine for the day. He dropped me off at work, gave me a kiss and even packed me a lunch. Around 5, I started to wonder when he was coming to get me. I tried to call him. But that was back when you turned cell phones off and on, and all I kept getting was his voicemail. 6...nada. 7...nada. Around 8, he finally called my lab. He had totally forgotten about me and was in Washington on business. Yup. Left me stranded. My car was at some random ass parking garage at a train station. To say I was livid would be a massive under statement. We have never shared a car since then.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I’ve done that too -

once mine was in the shop and I took his to work. His is a bit glitzier than mine- straight black sporty. (It actually hurts my hips because it’s so low) Anyway my medical bag and purse were in the back seat. I locked it took my key and ran into an office for 5 min to get something, and his car was broken into with all my stuff stolen. My purse/ credit cards/ medical bag/ scripts/ everything :(. At the start of my day. He was very nice about it- even has a file ready of credit cards/ accounts card copies because this isn’t the first time. There’s something about his car.

But- it goes both ways. He drove mine once too pick up one of the kids at the airport and on the way he stopped to fill it up. He put gas into it- it’s diesel. (Hard to put diesel into gas but easy the other way around) oh my gosh that engine overhaul cost WAY more than the broken window! And at least the window was covered under insurance :)

Yeah- so I guess I shouldn’t complain. I guess I’m just getting old. I just have my routines, and need things in their place.

Quoting chicken13:

Of course...occassionaly I take his car and forget to reset everything ....lol.  

Quoting Ziva65: This exactly! I�m 5�2 he�s 6�. He�s even changed my seat settings, the radio display thing, leaves old cups on the floor- REALLY a pet peeve of mine. �

I totally agree with you. I don�t mind if the kids drive my car once in a while, they KNOW to put everything back where it was. They have their own cars-

Quoting chicken13: Don�t get me started on moving things around. He�s 6�. I�m 5�4�. He moves the seat all the way back...I can�t even find the pedals and the mirrors....all moved. I swear he even changes the radio.

I�d ban him from getting in my car except he has to move it to plow our driveway and I don�t want to move it myself. Lol

Quoting Ziva65: Yup. This. I don�t share either.

I don�t even like it if he drives it. Everything is in its place, don�t mess with it. I like my pattern.

Quoting chicken13: Oh hell no. My car is my car. I�m not sharing with anyone.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 1:42 PM
My parents just went down to one car. My mom only allowed it becauE my dad's car was getting up there and it's winter so she won't go out in cold, snowy weather. My dad is retired and she works one day a week so they can make it work. She told him that as soon as the weather is nice again, he gets a car. No ifs ands or buts.
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
your hubby and mine are clearly kindred spirits. my dh has an Eclipse which is 17 yrs old. he could buy a new car but keeps this one together with bondo and prayers... When it is out of commission we have to juggle or i make him rent a car. Now that Uber is a thing it is easier as well. I cant wait for the day that his car rusts into a little pile in the driveway and I can sweep it up, cartoon style, into the dust pan..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)