Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To everyone with a difficult and challenging MIL...

Posted by   + Show Post

I dedicate this blog post:

It’s been almost twenty years since we first met. I may not be the daughter-in-law you wanted, but I’m the woman your son chose and the wife that God ordained for him. You may call me a B*** in front of our daughter, your granddaughter, but your son calls me blessed (Proverbs 31:28) and I’m an important part of his world. You may think that I “always ruin everything”, but your son thinks nothing would be right without me. You may not care about the pain and heartache your actions cause him, but I do. You may not want to be around me or ever see me again , but your son enjoys my company and spends every extra moment he has with me. You may wish I had never come into your life, but your son can’t imagine his life without me. You may find it intolerable when you hear me teaching God’s laws and scripture to my daughter. For whatever reason, that offends you. But God delights in hearing my words to her from His heavenly throne. You may kick me out and tell me never to return, but I have an earthly home filled with love and a heavenly home waiting for me in eternity. You may hate me, but I have the love of God and your son. It’s not necessary for you to like me because I like me. You may not accept me, but both God and your son accept me just the way I am and that’s enough for me. I’m sorry it’s not enough for you. As I said, it’s been almost twenty years since we first met. I know another twenty years won’t change who you are and it won’t change who I am. My prayer for you is that the scales will be removed from your eyes that you may see truth and embrace it with open arms. I pray for you that the bitterness and hatred engulfing your heart will melt away like a popsicle on a hot summer day leaving you filled only with the love of God. Until then, please try to be happy that your son is happy, even if it is with me.

https://christinetate.wordpress.com/2017/12/26/an-open-letter-to-my-mother-in-law/

Some people just take an extra amount of grace.

by on Dec. 31, 2017 at 9:29 AM
Replies (31-34):
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot.

Parents need to teach their children how to respond and react in these situations.

Even with the strife, we still taught our children to respect their elders.

Our everyday interactions with family and non- family members teaches our children a lot about life, how to communicate effectively, and how to develop and maintain relationships.

Quoting jcm3: What does this have to do with teens
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 8:31 PM
Oh my gosh you are funny!

Quoting jewjewbee: I could talk on this for days.
My MIL is a bitch, truth Be Told.
Now, she is in the very last stages of Alzheimer's. I won't sugar coat anything or lie to seem nice or kind.
Her getting Alzheimer's was the best thing to ever happen to our relationship. She started to think I was someone she liked and was kind to me for years after the onset. I never returned the kindness, it felt good and it still does.
So what. At one point she said " Tommy likes my lasagna better " ( I'm Italian and she's a hillbilly ) I responed " yeah well, he doesn't have sex with you...does he? "
So glad that shit is over.
ok....back to the wine.
EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM

My MIL is Satan in drag. Ugh

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:34 AM

My MIL and I are on a friendly basis.  We live 2.5 hours away so we don't see each other except for the perfunctory family gatherings.  DH isn't their favorite son and DH knows it so we keep to ourselves as watching my in-laws claim adamantly they don't play favorites is a BIG joke.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)