Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your teen have a job?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:29 AM
  • 47 Replies

DD17 is looking for a p/t job and has just started her search.  Her schedule will only permit her to work on the weekends and during the holiday breaks.  She has friends who work at the grocery store, ice cream shop and Chick-fil-a...your usual standard flare of teen jobs.  Does your child work?  And if so, what does he/she do?  I'm trying to give DD some ideas and your help will be greatly appreciated.

by on Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Dd, 17, has had a job since about August.  She works as a hostess and/or a runner at an upscale restaurant (owned by a friend at her gym).  Since it's a friend, who knows she has a crazy schedule, dd just picks up shifts when she can fit it in....there's always someone looking for coverage.

by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM

When my daughter was in high school she taught dance classes to little ones at the studio she danced at and babysat.  My son who is a junior is working as a "party host" at a local entertainment venue.  He hosts little kid birthday parties.  Essentially he gets paid to play laser tag and bowl.  He gets paid $12 and hour and makes an average of $40 in tips for each party. He works a few hours each weekend.  

by Group Admin on Jan. 11, 2018 at 12:02 PM

My dd worked the last two summers at an amusement park. She turned 16 in November and is finishing her life guard training at the Y. She will work there year round but they are willing to work around her schedule. Even if it's just 1 day a week during sports.

by Grumpy on Jan. 11, 2018 at 12:31 PM

DD works at McDonalds.  Same schedule.  Working at her age is a privledge, not a right, if grades drop, work goes away.

by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 12:36 PM

I just gave my dd17 permission to look for a job last week. She is applying at Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Hot Topic, Party Store, anywhere except fast food. 

by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM

DD17 currently works on an as-needed basis for a realtor friend of mine.  She does basic clerical, some data entry, and is learning QuickBooks.  It's not consistent though.   So, she is currently looking for a part-time job with more consistent hours.

Once she graduates high school, depending on if she attends the local university she has applied to, DH wants to train her to take calls and work on proposals for his company, But he won't start her until she has finished high school.

by Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM

Yes, DD is 17 and has been working since Sept 2016 at Old Navy. 

by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 1:23 PM

The summer that our daughters were 13 and 14 they started mowing lawns around the neighborhood with two guys their age that are now our SILs because they were to young for "real jobs" at the mall or in fast food. That summer and the next three summers they mowed lots of lawns around the neighborhood because it paid about double what those "real jobs" pay. Also they could schedule the mowing around their school schedules and social activities.

On the somewhat comical side they had to file and pay "self employed tax" (both sides of Social Security and Medicare, which is a mere 15.3% of those earnings).  I wish we had a video of their faces when they realized that the "revenue man" was going to "steal" 1/6 of "their money." 

It was comparable to the looks on their faces during last December when it looked like tax reform was going to make the free tuition in their MBA program that they are receiving by teaching part time at local state universities without pay. Had that been part of the final tax reform law, that would have cost the four of them a total of a mere $80,000.  Youngest SILs dad teased them by saying, "Somebody has to pay for making America great again" because they vote Republican and operate like an old Soviet commune.

With our three teen foster grandchildren that oldest couple is adopting, they plan to pay them for doing things around the house, like mowing lawn, housekeeping, pool keeping, supervising the single digit cousins because both daughters and both SILs can earn $50 per hour with that time.

by Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM

Yes, The 17 year old has been working since she was 14 as a Hebrew tutor and sunday school teacher.  She also worked as a class assistant in a dance studio and is currently working as a game master for an escape room.

The 15 year old cleans the escape room facilities once a week and works as s Hebrew tutor. 

The 12 year old will mow the neighbor's lawns and do childcare whenever the opportunty arises.

by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

No, my son does talk about it alot but DH told him as long as he keeps his grades up and he keeps busy with sports then he won't have to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)